Author Topic: William Paul, Scotland to New Zealand  (Read 20284 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Paul, Scotland to New Zealand
« Reply #63 on: Sunday 22 September 13 03:01 BST (UK) »

Have traced 2 possible children:William B-1874,and a:Elizabeth B-1867

Hi James

Yes, we have Elizabeth PAUL married COOK and details of her children, earlier in the thread.

William PAUL - birth registered 1874 ?
    I'm dubious about this being the right one ? 
[Still investigating this and another whose birth was registered in 1878 - Parents also given as William and Elizabeth.   Places of birth registration need to be checked for both and can only do this via the birth microfiche at a local library.    Will try to do that soon. ]

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 22 September 13 03:15 BST (UK) »
The three daughters who survived William PAUL (d. 1908) are :   

-   Elizabeth (m. COOK) [identified via her daughter "Jean" (Elizabeth Jane COOK) who placed "In Memoriam" notices in the newspapers in respect of her grandfather William PAUL (d. 1908). ]

.... the other two daughters appear to be

**   Jane PAUL - born 30 September 1871 (see earlier school record in this thread).
Unfortunately I can't find a marriage or death for this Jane PAUL (have searched also using "Jean" / "Jeannie" etc. as a first name, to no avail.)  She is to be found last in 1900 residing at Palmerston with her parents and siblings.

**  and Margaret ("Maggie") PAUL (can see her on electoral rolls and a possible death).  It seems she did not marry ?

~  Lu     

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 22 September 13 03:26 BST (UK) »

**  and Margaret ("Maggie") PAUL (can see her on electoral rolls and a possible death).  It seems she did not marry ?

... still working on above Margaret ("Maggie") so will get back to this later.

[Our online BDM site is working very slowly at present (or not at all at times)  :D  - so that is somewhat hindering progress.    It is also a case of having to sort out "a lot of PAULs" who have similar christian names. ]

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Sunday 22 September 13 04:07 BST (UK) »
Hello James

*  Were you actually looking to make contact with descendants of this PAUL family  ??

[Just thought I'd ask before adding further for the children of William and Elizabeth. ]

~  Lu

Offline jamesnpaul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Sunday 22 September 13 08:34 BST (UK) »
Good Morning,LU,
So many thanks for your "newsy"mail,great stuff,reply as following:
1/Death cert for William is "typewritten"
2 Note your comment about 34 yrs.
3/Eliz Porter,have looked at the Waihhemo records,no result,may be me failing to do the search correctly?.
4/Children of this pair,interesting you have found possible names,do you advise I order certs?
5/Desendants contact,YES,if we find that possible that would be fantastic.

LU,Sylvia and I are very grateful fpr all your time and effort,will await "Jean,s" news from Christchurch.
Every Good Wish,
James

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 04:16 BST (UK) »
Good Morning,LU,
So many thanks for your "newsy"mail,great stuff,reply as following:
1/Death cert for William is "typewritten" ... yes, unfortunately when NZ BDM send a certificate (rather than printout), although they record the male and female living issue, they don't include the ages of same.   But never mind, I think I have found all the PAUL children now and in following posts, will add details for each.

2 Note your comment about 34 yrs.

3/Eliz Porter,have looked at the Waihhemo records,no result,may be me failing to do the search correctly?.    ... looks like we'll need Elizabeth (PORTER) PAUL's death printout to (hopefully) find out more about her.

4/Children of this pair,interesting you have found possible names,do you advise I order certs?
... no need to purchase birth records for the children, I'm hopeful I've found enough information for them already.  ;)

5/Desendants contact,YES,if we find that possible that would be fantastic.   ... fairly sure I've found a link to a descendant ... but will give you all the other info I've gathered, firstly.

Reply to your latest post ^ see above.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 04:38 BST (UK) »
Hi James

Have now checked records at library - PAUL children (registration district(s) - for birthplace) ... and also found a couple of additional school records.

The following* children (which match with the 3 daughters and 4 sons who survived William PAUL), are, I believe, those born to William PAUL and Elizabeth (nee PORTER) :  All births registered at Waikouaiti or Palmerston (South), Otago.

[Note:   With these, am also including their dates of birth (as deduced from the online NZ BDM index - which we are able to do by "tinkering" with dates.  ;D )   And as mentioned earlier in this thread by "Spades", who added information from school records, the birthdates on school records can often be wrong !  ]

*  see next post for list of children     >

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 05:06 BST (UK) »
NZ Births - PAUL - parents recorded as William and Elizabeth PAUL :

1865 - Margaret PAUL - date of birth :  7 December 1865  [No school record found - but she appears later on electoral rolls with her family at Palmerston.]

1867 - Elizabeth PAUL - DoB: 26 August 1867 [DoB: shown incorrectly on school record as 11 June 1867.]   

1869 - James PAUL - DoB:  16 July 1869  [DoB shown incorrectly on school record as 12 July. ]  

1871 - Jane PAUL - DoB:  30 September 1871 [Shown correctly on school record. ]

^   All above births were registered at Waikouaiti, Otago (which included the locality of Palmerston.)

1874 - William PAUL - DoB:  18 February 1874   [Wrongly shown on school records as born 23 December 1875. ]   

1876 - Robert George PAUL - DoB :  20 October 1876  [DoB correctly given on school records.]

1879 - Alexander PAUL
- DoB:  16 May 1879  [School record showed 20 May 1879 ]

^  Births registered at Palmerston (South), Otago 1874 / 1876 and 1879.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 05:30 BST (UK) »
Now adding information for each of the PAUL children :

Margaret PAUL - born 7 December 1865

Died:   23 March 1933 (Probably at Palmerston, Otago ?)

Margaret did not marry.    She is shown in electoral rolls at various time living at Palmerston (Otago) firstly with her parents, and later with some of her siblings.

Archives New Zealand (at Wellington) hold the following Probate record : 

PAUL - Margaret - Palmerston - spinster - 1933

[Seems she died intestate. ]

*  I can do a look-up of this record, when next at the Archives.

~  Lu