Author Topic: search for old photo of show ride  (Read 1572 times)

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
search for old photo of show ride
« on: Saturday 07 September 13 22:05 BST (UK) »
i have been searching for old photo of 2 fairground attraction ,have fair bit of info on these family's so not searching that part of their genealogy only for any visual stuff ,the first family are the illingworths from yorksire ,lancshire areas ,on research they had family members as acrobats and bear tamers then as time went on fairground rides would love help with anything visual, the other family i have research were the chappell family from the lancshire area William and James chappell who i thing were cousins William being a gosht illusionist and James a photographer would be very grateful for anything visual regards David
Scotland.Yates,Kelly,illingworth,Reilly,cummins,green,dunpy,McCullough,Watson ,bulloch,Ross,Clark.England.boag,Costello,bulloch.chappell,drummond.stobbard .   Scotland,Simpson.McKay Murry blewit.England,graham suddes surtees scotland greenhill england charlton oniel chicken Richardson hardy salthouse scotland.seath strachan mill england graham

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: search for old photo of show ride
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 13:13 BST (UK) »

Hi David, I haven't found any photo's but I did however find this bit of information relating to William.

Chappel, William (associated with John Radford): Chappell's cinematographe & phantographe, Ashton-under-Lyne, 1897 (Barnes, J.  Vol.2: 1897); Radford and Chapel's Ghost Show, Nottingham Goose Fair,1898
Bramwell -  Derbyshire and Bolton
Pottinger -  Gloucestershire, Berkshire
James- Gloucestershire
Rawley, Wheeler - Middlesex
Nicholls, Nichols -  Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire
Lee, Porter - Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire
Bowers, Coxall, Coe, Dawkins, Hawkins, Horspoole, Rule - Cambridgeshire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Stewart - Stirlingshire,  Glasgow and Edingburgh
Tulloch - Orkney Islands
Liddell - Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire
Tulloch, Wilson, Stevenson, Baxter, Muir, Boag - Scotland

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 17:34 BST (UK) »
many thanks for this lets hope i can get more on these familys do know their was a acrobat related to me way back the name illingworth who was married a kelly  just cant find this info .
Scotland.Yates,Kelly,illingworth,Reilly,cummins,green,dunpy,McCullough,Watson ,bulloch,Ross,Clark.England.boag,Costello,bulloch.chappell,drummond.stobbard .   Scotland,Simpson.McKay Murry blewit.England,graham suddes surtees scotland greenhill england charlton oniel chicken Richardson hardy salthouse scotland.seath strachan mill england graham

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 17:17 GMT (UK) »
There are some references to John Radford and William Chappells ghost show, bioscope and phantoscope  at Boston May Fair in 1897 and Nottingham Goose Fair in 1898.  There is an article in the Boston Guardian and Lincolnshire Independent Newspaper dated May 8th 1897.  They may have photos, although unlikely. 

Most Bioscope shows and Phantoscope shows were simply tents with a projector and sometimes an ornate frontage.  Quite often, the owners would take the moving films of local people in the town during the day, and then show them to the paying public later.  People were amazed to see themselves on the screen.  My ancestors were showmen, but sadly no photos exist of this type of attraction from their fairs, only the larger rides.

Have a look at the link below for the Radford and Chappell details.

http://members.shaw.ca/pauline777/Visual.html

Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline davidpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 23:42 GMT (UK) »
thanks for that steve.