Author Topic: morgan family llanddewi aberarth  (Read 10269 times)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: morgan family llanddewi aberarth
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 March 14 13:09 GMT (UK) »
the NLW has a will from 1832 for Richard of Bryndewi that mentions his wife Magdalen, daughter Margaret, daughter Elizabeth married to John Jones of Wern y Meirch, son John Morgan of Frongay, son David Morgan of Lloegrfach, grandson David, son of David, son Evan Morgan of Talsarn, sons Morgan & Timothy.

Also a will from 1770 for Morgan Evans that mentions son John, daughters Elizabeth Anne (no comma between the 2 names so 1 person), Magdalen, Mary, son-in-law Thomas John who married his now deceased daughter Catherine, and Gwenn, widow of his deceased son Morgan.

I would suspect that there wiil be wills for other members of the family that would back up baptisms found.

What are you looking at on Familysearch that traces back the Herberts? If it's a pedigree file or community contributed, I would take it with a pinch of salt. Extracted records that have been transcribed are indexed as community indexed.

NLW has the will from 1795 of William Herbert, father of William, father of Margaret. And there are 2 earlier wills of Herberts from Rhiwbren, William in 1707( inventory only) , Morgan in 1679.

;)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline ivorglyn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 02 March 14 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Oriel.The will from 1770 seems very promising!I was wondering if Richard Morgan b.~1758 could be traced from Yeoman records(if there are any).When I visited Aberystwyth Archives we couldn't find any birth/baptism in Llanddewi Aberarth.The reason for the Herbert family interest is that there was a long line of ancestors who were religious ministers and there were many who went to either Oxford or Cambridge.As for the Morgan family it is supposed lthat they date back to the family of the privateer Henry Morgan(or a close relative).I'll have another look at the wills on NLW.Once again thankyou..Ivor

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 02 March 14 18:10 GMT (UK) »
there won't be records of yeomen just for that reason, but there may well be records of one sort or another, like leases from the landed gentry and wills. I've got yeoman farmers in my family from Cornwall and one of the families was called Yeoman. Not easy to search the CRO catalogue for them!

If you went to Aberystwyth, did you visit the NLW for their parish records? The Genuki entry for Llanddewi Aberarth suggests that the record office doesn't have all of them, but NLW does. I was going to suggest checking Henfynyw as well, but some of the earlier records appear to have been lost.

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/CGN/Henfynyw/

The Herbert will I saw mentioned that the executor was a clerk, David Herbert, second son of William and brother to William, father of Margaret. The wife of William senior mentioned in the will was Judith.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman

Offline ivorglyn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 02 March 14 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Dear Oriel,On the family tree section of Family Search William Herbert's wife is down as Judith Price(1724-1795) regards Ivor

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 March 14 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Oriel?    ???

You should check original records wherever possible rather than accept another person's family tree. Just because it's on FamilySearch doesn't mean it's correct. What sources and references are given?

Offline ivorglyn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 11 October 14 14:42 BST (UK) »
Dear Oriel et al,There is an entry on the public member trees in Ancestry for Richard(Brynd(d)ewi) Morgan (1758-1831)and Magdalen(1759-1833)They married in 1783 in Llanddewi-Aberarth.John Morgan (son) is down as born 1785 and married Catherine Jones Lewis(1798-) in 1813.There was a son of John Morgan named David J Morgan (1820-1904) who married Mary Meladria Davies Phillips(29 jan 1853 in Gallia,Ohio,USA)  and they had 13 children!!Their first child was Magdalene(1853-1932).All 13 children(+spouses and their children) are down on this tree.There is also a David Richard 'Lloriger'Morgan(1778-1856) down as a son of Richard'Bryndewi'Morgan.The problem here is that Richard and Magdalen didn't marry until 1783.David Richard Morgan is down as marrying Mary R and they had a child Elizabeth A Morgan(1793-1864) who married John'Bach'Thomas(1822-1886).Another record I found on freereg was for a marriage in Hefnfynw on 8/aug/1821 between David Morgan(parish Llanddewi-Aberarth) and Mary Daniel.As for the other children of Richard Morgan and Magdalen Morgan:Mary (1787-1824) didn't marry,Elizabeth Morgan married John Jones(around 1831 they lived at Wern Y Meirch),Morgan(1790-1839) didn't marry,Margaret m Thomas Pugh(10 aug1832),Jane 1793-1796),John lived at Frongey ~1831 and then emigrated to Gallia in Ohio,USA),Daniel (1799-1831) and didn't marry,Evan (my gggrandfather b.~1801 and became a master saddler).Evan married Deborah Davies ~1820 in Talsarn,Cardiganshire,Timothy(1805-) married Margaret Herbert(around 1840) and they had 3 children.One was Richard Herbert Morgan who became a minister...I have been looking for a Richard Morgan born between 1757 and 1759 in Wales and there are 9 possibilities:1)b.1857 Nantmel,Radnor father Richard..2)b.1757 Cadoxton juxta Neath father Richard..3)b.1757 Trevethin(father William)..4)b.1758 Llansadwrnen,Carmarthenshire parents John/Anne..5)b.1758 Llanbryn-mair parents Edward and Hannah..6)b.1758 Tywyn parents Rice and Elizabeth..7)b.1758 Beaumaris,Anglesey parents Thos/Cathrine..8)b.1759 Llanwnnog,Montgomeryshire parents Mary and Richard..9)b.1759 Penegoes,Montgomeryshire parents Jane and Richard..I closely examined these and the most likely are number 2,number 4,number 5,and number 6.There were 4 children down for John/Anne Llansadwrnen..Hannah b.1865,James b.1751,John b.1760,and Richard b.1758..That's as far as I have got...any help would be much appreciated ..Ivorglyn

Offline ivorglyn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 11 October 14 14:48 BST (UK) »
Dear Oriel et Al I made one error..Evan Morgan my gggrandfather was born ~1801 not !821!

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 18 October 14 19:25 BST (UK) »
what sources does the ancestry tree quote? Just because it's online, it doesn't mean that it's correct. It's much more reliable to do your own research rather than use someone else's tree which may not be based on facts.
Not all records are online so you need access to registers to check for a baptism for Richard. Also, bear in mind that it may be recorded in patronymic style. Look first in Llanddewi Aberarth, the move around it & outwards.
Who were the witnesses to the 1783 marriage? Were they related to Richard or Magdalen?

Offline ivorglyn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 26 October 14 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Dear Osprey,Sorry I called you Oriel!!Thankyou so much for your continued help.My one obstacle is trying to find out where Richard Morgan b.1758 came from and who his parents were..kind regards Ivorglyn(Richard died in september 1831)