Author Topic: William Forsyth and Marion Grant of Edinburgh  (Read 24674 times)

Offline violaannie9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Forsyth and Marion Grant of Edinburgh
« Reply #99 on: Saturday 21 May 16 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm late to this conversation but it appears to be about my great-great-grandparents, William Forsyth and Marion Grant, and their sons. I might have some of the answers you are looking for... for example Alexander Emslie Grant's service in the British army in India/Pakistan and his later imprisonment for stealing a money order, or William (my great grandfather) Forsyth's  journey to NZ as a cuddy servant in the merchant navy, and what may be a possible date for John Grant Forsyth's own enlistment in the merchant navy.

Of course I also have questions - for example, Alexander Emslie Forsyth's death was reported by his brother in law, J O' Donnell... so there must have been a relationship after Charlotte Wilkinson and Elizabeth Ann Wilkinson, but I haven't found it yet.

If anyone is interested, just tell me an email address and I'll invite you to view my ancestry.co.uk page.

Cheers,
Anne-Marie Forsyth

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Saturday 21 May 16 22:04 BST (UK) »
   A very big welcome to Rootschat, Anne-Marie.    Your page on Ancestry has not gone unnoticed and though I don't subscribe to Ancestry one of your cousins who is descended from Isabella Duncan Aitken is and has been looking at some of your thumbnails in Ancestry.    I don't think any of us knew about Alexander Emslie until we saw your thumbnails.   Many of these I recognize such as Croft An Righ - but do you know the very strange coincidence that happened to me when I first found the old sketch and then Googled a street view?
   The big mystery is who were the parents of Marion Grant's grandparents William Aitken and Jane/Jean Harvie.    Lately we have been looking at the possibility that William Aitken's parents had moved from Newlands, Peebles to Edinburgh before 1803.
    It looks like you have done wonders in tracking down William Forsyth as a Cuddy Servant and can't wait to learn more about his younger brother John getting to New Zealand and Australia.   I have copies of his death certificate in Rockhampton and his marriage certificate to Mary Ann Woods in Hawera.   
     You will need to Post two more messages in Rootschat before you can send a Personal Message yourself, so may not be able to reply to the PM I am about to send you.   I'll give my email address in a PM and then you can use that.
     I trust that like myself you will find Rootschat about the best Forum on Family History anywhere, anytime.
      Malcolm
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline 4HORSEMEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: Saturday 21 May 16 22:41 BST (UK) »
Welcome Annemarie

You will enjoy this wonderful site so many experienced researchers that are so very willing to help.
Malcolm33 and I have been researching William and Jean/Jane so it's great to have another on board, Malcolm33 is a good friend and very experienced researcher and loves a challenge, he has surprised me on more than one occasion with his find's.

Offline violaannie9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Sunday 22 May 16 05:30 BST (UK) »
Nice to meet you both! I noted from someone else's tree that they gave William Aitken's parents as John Aitken (1756 - 23 Sep 1843 in Montrose) and Elizabeth Wishart. I haven't pursued that avenue yet (got side-tracked by more recent relatives) but I did note it on my list of things to look into sometime.

Offline 4HORSEMEN

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: Sunday 22 May 16 05:54 BST (UK) »
H again Anne Marie,
Yes I had seen that research, William Aitken Montrose  and had mentioned it to Malcolm but the census's points in another direction.
There is quite some misinformation regarding William in that respect.
So  I for one will disregard it.

Cheers