Author Topic: Ernest Thomas George winsall  (Read 641 times)

Offline Belindabee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ernest Thomas George winsall
« on: Sunday 08 September 13 21:51 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone

I hope that you can help me! I am looking for some information about my grandfather Ernest Thomas George Winsall.

Having spoken to my aunt(his daughter) about doing our family tree, she has been invaluable with information regarding her father. And my grandad.
It seems as if it has been a bit of a closed shop where info has been concerned with the Winsall side of the family, having just found out about my gt grandfather who was in ww1 and was promptly pit into a mental institute on his return and died in there in 1931. The shame of the family supposedly but hero to me as we now know what they went through in Flanders. But for some reason it seems to have been a closed shop on my grandads military history. Grandad winsall(win) was in service before going to Palestine to be in the police force in1930 returning in 1937 just. Before the the onset of ww2. My aunt said that my gt grandmother bought him out of service, but aunt seems to think that it was the guards around London but have not been able to find anything on this, can anyone else help!? Thanks to anyone that can help me.
Belinda  :)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Ernest Thomas George winsall
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 September 13 23:48 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am just adding some more info for tracing purposes

Ernest Thomas George Winsall was b 1909 Hendon and died 1967 Bromley

He returned to England from Port Said in May 1934 and returned to Port Said on 3.8.1934 occ police officer.

He returned to England on 18.8.1937.  He must have gone back to Egypt after August 1937 as there is another entry for him returning to England on 10.11.1938

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 September 13 12:05 BST (UK) »
Records of men serving in the regular army after about August 1920 have not been released and are still with the MOD. You have to pay £30 (free to his spouse), provide a death certificate and his army number - which is probably seven digits. They are taking up to a year to send details. So they now insist on having all of these details.

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/army.html

Ken

Offline Belindabee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 September 13 12:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ken will look into it more

Belinda

Offline Belindabee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 September 13 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hi CaroleW,

Thank you for your help, that much I did know about grandad, as have found that information on ancestry but its the part of his services career that I couldn't find, if I put his name in the tools bar it just tells me about my great grandfathers military career, as both had the same first name! But my grandad had other names(middle) that my great grandad didn't have.

But still draw a blank every time. My aunt Sandra and myself are just interested to know so much more about him. My grandmother I do know lots about, but it seems as she grew older that things aren't always put into prospective. Many things that she told me about herself and grandad just don't add up with the records, you might say she embellished the truth a tad. Bless her! I think now it is becoming more of a quest to find things out, for my aunt as much as anything.

I have written to a 2nd cousin of mine but have had no reply as yet from her, I am hoping she can tell me some as she had always lived closest to the winsall side of the family.

Anyway Thank you so much for your help,

Regards

Belinda Clare