Author Topic: "Backside Foremost", North Road, Jesmond NBL - 1861 census  (Read 5470 times)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
Re: "Backside Foremost", North Road, Jesmond NBL - 1861 census
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 17:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget

I always have trouble with the OldMaps site, when I blow up the map so that I read the text, it dissolves into pixels or just blurs.

I've tried the Accessibility magnifier and the one supplied by my browser but both are just as bad. So I will trot upstairs.....

Ahah! Now I've looked at the OS Jesmond map of 1895 and 1919 I can see the old cottages you mentioned at the junction of Fairfield and Highbury. They were there in 1895 but gone by 1919, underneath the southern end of Highbury I suspect.

Thanks for all your help, think we've pinned "Backside Foremost" to the southern end of Highbury.

When I was born, there was a post WW2 housing shortage so we lived with the g parents in Kingswood Avenue, which my g ma lovingly called High West Jesmond! However I cannot remember any of that.

Gen in NBL England

UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 September 13 09:45 BST (UK) »
I had all the old maps out at Woodhorn on Wednesday but the cottage/house was not named on any of the maps available. However one was missing from their collection which could show it, but it is probably at TWAS in Newcastle.

Will give up now as I am fairly sure where it was even if it was not named on any map.

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 13 September 13 09:59 BST (UK) »
I went down there yesterday before going to the coast and The Beehive ;D

No sign of anything before the Lodges in cemetery.

This piece has some links that might give clues:

http://www.jesmond.uk.net/oldHistory.htm

in particular, Dendy's Account of Jesmond - download via the link.

I think a visit to the vicinity, the archives and the central library might be your best option.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 September 13 15:31 BST (UK) »

On the 1871 census there is a Water Pond Cottage, a Beer House (tailor lived there!) the Herd's House (the herd lived there)

On the 1851 census I can only find a Pinfold Cottage on the North Road.

Looks as though it was renamed, don't blame them!

Gen in NBL England

In 1871, Backside Foremost Cottage is at RG10/5108/19/7 between the St Andrew's Cemetery Lodges and West Jesmond Farm - as on the 1861.

A little piece from Dendy(previously referenced)  re the Sandyford estate:

In 1894 they (the Naters family) sold to Mr Thomas Hills Forsyth the field called North Willow Balks, immediately to the north of St Andrew's cemetery. Mr Forsyth shortly afterwards purchased from the Duke of Portland the land next immediately to the northward, as far as Osborne Road and Jesmond Dene Road next the moor, and an extensive district of streets and houses known as the West Jesmond estate have been erected on the land so purchased.  Page 177

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 September 13 16:22 BST (UK) »
A bit more ~ 3rd post!

On the 1891 the enumeration  goes north from Tankerville Terrace, then the 2 cemetery lodges and then to  Fairfield Road and Forsyth Road - no Backside Cottage or the West Jesmond Farm and Cottages.  This ties in (more or less) with the Dendy account - houses built a bit earlier than he suggests.

I think it might be West Jesmond Cottage No 1 or 2 in 1881 - RG11/5070/72/30  Otherwise it could have been already been demolished - i.e. between 1871 and 1881.

This would all tie in with the building that I identified on  the old-map link. I think it must be in the region of the allotments which are opposite Fairfield.

Gadget

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 14 September 13 08:01 BST (UK) »
Interesting.....

If under the allotments, then the first tenants must have found all sorts of things. Now thoroughly worked over, there is probably nothing remaining of the former cottages.

Found Dendy's book as on online download - good stuff.

Gen in NBL England