Author Topic: Doctor John Findlay  (Read 3405 times)

Offline Palies Ruth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Doctor John Findlay
« on: Monday 09 September 13 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi i am trying to find John Findlay's death he worked as a doc in Peterhead and was still there in 1945. This info was sourced on the phone book he had 2 sons who were doctors one in Peterhead with his father in 75 Queen Street I've tried on Scotlands People but wonder if he has moved out of Scotland. Any help would be appreciated.  :)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Doctor John Findlay
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 September 13 23:44 BST (UK) »
When was he born?

What was his mothers maiden name?

SP has 20 deaths in Aberdeen and 13 in Aberdeen City between 1945-1965 for John Findl*y

There are 161 entries using an all counties search so you will need to provide more info

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 00:37 BST (UK) »
Possible?
Probate Calendars

John Findlay of Cleveland,Queens Road, Ballater, Aberdeen
Died 7 Oct 1956
Confirmation of Christina Roy Grant or Findlay

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 07:11 BST (UK) »
Found this from the London Gazette archives.
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/37395/pages/6160/page.pdf
The Chief Inspector of Factories gives notice that
in consequence of the resignation of Dr. J. Findlay
an appointment as Examining Surgeon under the
Factories Act, 1937, for (the District of Peterhead
in the County of Aberdeen is vacant.

This may help in searching further.

Regards

Malky

AddedThere is an article in "Trove" mentioning that he was awarded an MBE after a bomb had hit a first aid post in which he was in with others in 1942.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/42351109

Offline Palies Ruth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 08:41 BST (UK) »
John was born in Cullen Banffshire in 1875.
His mums maiden name was Findlay as well on the 1911 census he was in Logie Lodge Crimond he had 3sons one was Charles Bruce Findlay he was in the same place as his father in Queen Street then George Ian Garrioch Findlay Garrioch was his mothers maiden name he was in Ilford Essex in 1943 John was in WW1 as an MO came back home to Peterhead and practised as a Doc at 75 Queen Street Peterhead Aberdeenshire Scotland. The info you have provided is amazing. I will get back with more info later. Thanks Ruth

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 18:41 BST (UK) »
FINDLAY,John,J.P.,M.B.,M.D. Medical Practitioner. 75 Queen Street, Peterhead, Aberdeenshire. b1875, Cullen, Banffshire. s.of late George Findlay. ed.Cullen Public School; Fordyce Academy; Aberdeen University. m.1906, Elspeth, d.of late S.Garrioch; 3s. Referee for Ministry of Pensions, 1909; Medical Officer, Infectious Diseases Hospital, 1932; Public Assistance Medical Officer, 1932; Medical Officer to H.M.Prison, Peterhead, 1936. Served during Great War, with Salonika Force, R.A.M.C., 1916-17; Medical Officer, R.N.A.S. at Strathbeg, 1917-19; Member, National Health Insurance Committee and Panel Committees; Member, Library, Nursing, Ambulance, Soup Kitchen, etc.Committees; Toc H.; Buchan Field Club; Medical Officer to V.A.D., 1921-36. Recreations: a little golf, walking tours, bird study.
Sorry, I don't have his date of death, but the above information is quoted from an old book I have called "Scottish Biographies".  :)
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline Garrioch

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 April 20 22:10 BST (UK) »
If you are still interested in Dr John Findlay I am his grandson and son of his eldest son Dr George Ian Garrioch Findlay. Many years ago I did a huge amount of research into the Findlays of Cullen. Records show they were at Cullen in the 1300s. Dr John Findlay's first job after qualifying was in Dorset at Herrison Hospital near Dorchester.  Before WW1 he practised at Crimond Aberdeenshire.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 April 20 09:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I don't have his date of death, but the above information is quoted from an old book I have called "Scottish Biographies".  :)
Moray Local Heritage Centre http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp says that he died on 21 February 1952 in Folkestone.

There is a death registration of John Findlay, 76, in Bridge RD 1952/Q1/5b/79 - Bridge RD is in Kent, though it doesn't seem to include Folkestone itself.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.