Author Topic: Englefield (?) JOHN HARRINGTON (or Hannington/ Arrington or even Ansted!)  (Read 2848 times)

Offline alan.h

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Englefield (?) JOHN HARRINGTON (or Hannington/ Arrington or even Ansted!)
« on: Tuesday 10 September 13 16:01 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate the origins of my 4x great-grandfather, John, who seems to have spent all his life in the area around Englefield, Burghfield, Theale and Tilehurst. I think, from other things that I have seen that his mother may well have been named Hannah, and I do also wonder if she might have been unmarried at the time of John's birth - although I might be totally wrong about that. I have seen her surname recorded as 'Hannington', and she seems to have married a John Ansted. At the time of my 4x great-grandfather's marriage (in 1809) he also used the surname 'Ansted' (the name of his step father), but then apparently reverted to 'Harrington' on his children's christening records and in census returns. (His birth year too seems to have been before his parents' marriage)

The 1851 census gives his place of birth as Burghfield and his age as 66, but in in the 1861 census he gave his place of birth as Englefield and his age as 77 - making his year of birth c1784. I have also found an apprenticeship record which shows 'John ARRINGTON aged 11 years on 1 Mar 1794' which may refer to him and implies that his birth was a year earlier than that.  His death certificate, in 1868, gives his age as 87 - making his year of birth more like 1781. I am advised that if he had indeed been born at Englefield, then his parents were (and almost certainly his mother was) very likely to have been employed on the Englefield estate. I am not sure if there are any records from that period anywhere?)

I think it is safe to say that John was born sometime during the early/ mid 1780s, but his surname could be recorded as any of those shown above.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Alan

Harrington & Fidler (Berkshire) Mundy, Senneck & Toop/Tupp (Dorset) Peckham (Hampshire) Bayes (Lincolnshire) Boddy, Thompson, Rose, Nash & Franklin (Buckinghamshire) Allingham & Wilson (London) Brown, Woods & Atfield (Surrey) Edworthy, Ware & Haskings (Devon) Price & Thomas (Glamorgan) Davies, John & Williams (Pembrokeshire)

Offline Jasswiss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Englefield (?) JOHN HARRINGTON (or Hannington/ Arrington or even Ansted!)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 October 13 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have just discovered that my Wells Family were from Englefield.So I will be trying to look at records for that parish.Most of the records will probably be at the Berkshire Record Office.In a couple of weeks I will be looking at the Society of Genealogists what they have.(Hope one day to get to Berkshire but I do not live in England and too Little time in the next trip).I'll be on the look out for Harringtons,Arringtons and Anstead's and will let you know if I see anything.Can I ask you where you found the apprenticeship record for your John Harrington ?
Jasmin.