Author Topic: Mariners of Sandwich  (Read 1568 times)

Offline wanda13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Mariners of Sandwich
« on: Wednesday 11 September 13 01:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Rootschatters.
This is my first post and I'm hoping to find out if there are any records that lists Mariners that were described as "Coasters" in Sandwich pre 1850's?
Thank you.
Wanda

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mariners of Sandwich
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 03:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Wanda, Welcome to Rootschat.  Have you looked at the National Archives guides to tracing Merchant Seamen?
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/default.htm

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 09:05 BST (UK) »
UK Masters and Mates Certificates are fascinating and available on Ancestry. Of no use of course if your man didn't qualify!
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline wanda13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 09:16 BST (UK) »
Hi casalguidi.
Now that I know that they were classified as merchant seamen you have opened up a whole new  world.
Many thanks to you  :)
Wanda
ps and thanks GrahamSimons for the Ancestry suggestion  :)

Offline wanda13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 09:42 BST (UK) »
Hello again.
I just found four results for a mariner I was searching for in Sandwich however there is an eight year difference showing via the free search function on Find My Past and was just wanting to know before I pay for the results does anyone know what information these records contain ie: date of birth of the merchant seaman, boat name and location etc?
Thanks again.
Wanda

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 10:42 BST (UK) »
"Coasters" refers to the fact that they were involved in the coastal trade. Trading to other south and east coast ports and maybe to the near continent.
Sandwich was a minor port and as such no crew agreements between 1835 and 1861 are kept at the national archive, they may however be at the Kent record office.
The  seamens records on FindMyPast are not totally comprehensive and depending on the dates need some interpreting. Ideally what you are looking for is a copy of a seamans ticket. Lots of the stuff on FindMyPast gives only the index to ticket numbers and the ticket has been lost or destroyed.
If you could give a name and dates then I feel sure that someone will do a look up for you.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline wanda13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 22:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information seaweed. The dates I have found on FindMyPast are 1805 and 1813. Does that mean crew agreements would be available for that period? I will, as you suggested ask for a look up but I just wanted to get my head around the terminology and the geography first. Wanda

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 23:13 BST (UK) »
The dates I have found on FindMyPast are 1805 and 1813

Would these be dates of birth though, not service dates?

Seaweed may be able to assist or at least point you in the right direction if you could give names etc..

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wanda13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 23:25 BST (UK) »
Ah ha. Yes casalguidi, they are birth dates not service dates. I will gather all the information that I now know (and understand) and ask for a look up. Thank you. Wanda  :)