Author Topic: I'm Stuck  (Read 3449 times)

Offline terryvk6pq

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I'm Stuck
« on: Wednesday 11 September 13 03:00 BST (UK) »
I've been trying for quite a while to find the birth (around 1887) of my grandmother Julia. She was married in 1910 to George Giles and has the maiden surname of Brice. (I have the certificate). I understand that her mothers maiden name was Emily Ayres. I cannot find a marriage certificate for Emily and James Brice either, although they are there in the 1911 census. I lived with my grandmother and her aunt named Annie Ayres during the war so it seems to tie up the name Ayres a bit.
Am I expecting too much? Is it possible that no birth certificate or marriage certificates are around?
Terry

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: I'm Stuck
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 05:33 BST (UK) »
Hiya Terry and welcome to Rootschat..
so that we can narrow the search down - Julias birth ?where are we searching location wise ? do you know where she was born - what age is she on the marriage cert ?

I see she married in Pancras - Greater London 1910 June qtr  ....could she be older than you think ???
dec qtr 1879  BRICE Julia     ............ Pancras ........ 1b   79
this would make her 30 at her marriage ?
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 06:04 BST (UK) »
James BRYCE to Emily Smith - Stratford june qtr 1887 ....and then
Julia Bryce - born  dec qtr 1887 - Mile End ,London

right year for the birth you are looking for

I wonder if it was Emilys 2nd marriage and she was an Ayres beforehand ?

she would have had to have lost her husband very quickly if this is her
Emily Ayres to William John Smith mar qtr 1887   Pancras   

of course this is all supposition ...I am posting possibles for you in case anything rings a bell with you
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 06:18 BST (UK) »
No you are not expecting too much. However as much information you can give would help. You mention no places to expect any births or marriages. They could be anywhere in England/Wales, Ireland or Scotland. Australia? From the census of 1911 you will know where your people were in 1911 and their births.

However I see that George and Julia were married in the St. Pancras area of London, 1910. They seem to be having children in St. Pancras into the 1920's.

I do see a Julia BYRCE born Dec Qtr. 1887, Mile End (East End of London). Free BMD. Unusually enough it does have a "Postem"        Lilia , Associate Name: Litchfield . The source given for this is: Certified Copy of Birth Certificate. If you find her on Free BMD click into the envelope by her name.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 08:02 BST (UK) »
Julia Ayres b 21 Nov 1888 (and her sister Elleen) of 70 Bancroft Road started school at Portman Place School Tower Hamlets on 17 Jul 1895.

You say you have the 1910 marriage cert to George Giles,what info does it give about her father,and who were the witnesses?

Welcome to Rootschat by the way  ;D

Carol

ADDED,hmmmm maybe not the right one,in 1901 she is with parents Henry and Hannah in Mile End,and 10 years before that with her parents and grandad Zodie Isaacs.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 08:06 BST (UK) »
Welcome from me also  :)

Julia Brice born 1888 St Pancras
Julia Giles born 1888 St Pancras

Is this a double entry or two different people?

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 08:35 BST (UK) »
Welcome from me also  :)

Julia Brice born 1888 St Pancras
Julia Giles born 1888 St Pancras

Is this a double entry or two different people?

Heywood

See what you mean Heywood.

Did her parents misunderstand the census form and stick all the kids down regardless of the fact that they didn't all live at home anymore? I've seen some who write down the names of children who have died.

Perhaps they forgot that Julia had married George the year before   8)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 08:44 BST (UK) »

I do see a Julia BYRCE born Dec Qtr. 1887, Mile End (East End of London). Free BMD. Unusually enough it does have a "Postem"        Lilia , Associate Name: Litchfield . The source given for this is: Certified Copy of Birth Certificate. If you find her on Free BMD click into the envelope by her name.

Hi,
This is Julia Bryce with parents David and Julia (Litchfield) in 1891. Perhaps the birth certificate looks like Lilia rather than Julia  :-\
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 08:49 BST (UK) »

Hi,
This is Julia Bryce with parents David and Julia (Litchfield) in 1891. Perhaps the birth certificate looks like Lilia rather than Julia  :-\
Heywood

I have just looked at the image and it says Julia Lilia but the FreeBMD transcriber couldn't read the middle name properly.