Author Topic: Elizabeth Coton  (Read 4482 times)

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
  • Expect the unexpected (I forgot to!)
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Coton
« on: Wednesday 11 September 13 14:01 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Coton married Charles Vines at St Mary's Church Leicester on 21 Feb 1831 according to FamilySearch. In 1841 they were living at Uppingham but by 1851 they had returned to Bath St. Leicester when the census recorded her age as 47 i.e. born around 1804. It also stated that she was born in Kilby.

In 1861 she was living off Harvey Lane, Leicester. She was a widow but her age had increased by 14 years making her birth around 1800. She still claimed to have been born in Kilby.

I have bought a transcription of the parish records for Kilby but there is no record of her birth there and indeed no record of any event involving a Coton or similar spelling.

Elizabeth Coton was my great great grandmother and her family i.e. the Cotons, is the only branch of my family I've not been able to find anything about, except for her wedding and later death.

I wonder if anyone can throw any light on this elusive Coton family. For example it would be interesting to know whether the FamilySearch transcription of the wedding record is accurate, but of course any other information would be great.

Interestingly their first son Henry Vines was born about 1832 and there does not seem to be a record of this event online either.

Tony

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Coton
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 14:07 BST (UK) »
There's an Elizabeth Coton Christening 16 Jan 1803 Tamworth parents Francis & Catherine.

Sorry am not sure where Kilby is but possible she didn't know her exact birth place.  Will have a look for that family see if can rule her out.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 14:19 BST (UK) »
The Uppingham census states Charles and Elizabeth born in County but none of the children are.

1851 has been transcribed as Thilby for Elizabeth, am not surprised you are having trouble as census info is all over the place!
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 14:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your very swift reply. The findmypast transcription for 1851 says Kilby and I tend to agree with that although it's one of those Ks that could be an H or almost anything. Kilby is a hamlet south of Leicester roughly between the city and Mkt. Harborough.

I don't take too much notice of where people are said to come from in the 1841 census i.e. in parish or not, because they are invariably wrong. Henry certainly thought that he was born in Leicester and circumstantially, they married in that city the year before, so he could be right.

Tony

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 15:37 BST (UK) »
Tony
           Are the witnesses to the marriage family members?

Jackie
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline diddymiller

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 17:12 BST (UK) »
there are Kilsby, northants records on freereg & there are some cottons...

Diddy
Cooks -(Clackmannanshire); Erskines - (fife); Youngs - (Dunfermline); Charltons - (Tyneside ); Skillings - (N.Norfolk); Legg - (N.Yorks, Tyneside) ; Carter - (Durham); Miller -(suffolk); Pattinson -(Lincs)

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie

Short answer - I don't know. I only have the FamilySearch transcription and have not seen the original parish record of the marriage. The FS transcription does not say whether the record included witnesses or not. As I understand it that is usually the exception rather than the rule but I'd be very happy to be proved wrong in this case.

Hi Diddy

I did wonder whether the place of birth had been incorrectly transcribed or even wrongly enumerated although having seen the census images I would agree that it says Kilby. However I wasn't aware of the place with a similar name in Northants. Thanks for the tip which I'll follow up. The husband Charles was born in Northants so it could make sense.

I appreciate all the help.

Tony

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 20:46 BST (UK) »
Found a piece in the paper

Leicester Chronicle
Saturday 26 February 1831

On Monday last, at St Mary's, Mr Charles Vines, to Mrs Colton, both of this place

Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline TonyV

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 20:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks Willsey

I found that too and looked for someone with that name without success. I do wonder whether she was married before however. It contradicts the transcription but transcriptions are sometimes wrong.

Thanks for reminding me of the press item

Tony