Author Topic: Request for Help to Decipher 1848/1849 Scottish Death & Burial Details  (Read 1847 times)

Offline praszka1800

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Request for Help to Decipher 1848/1849 Scottish Death & Burial Details
« on: Thursday 12 September 13 03:37 BST (UK) »
Hi group.  Attached is an extract from the death and burial details for two of my ancestors - John and Elizabeth Noble who died in Glasgow in 1848 and 1849.  I'm hoping to use the details here to find their gravestones but I don't understand how to interpret what's written in the "Undertakers or Wrights" column and the three "Where Buried" columns (In the Lair of, No and Wall, Churchyard).  In part I think what confuses me is that I had expected to see somewhere the name of a church whereas all of the names in the Lair column appear to my untrained eye to be male names.

For both Elizabeth and John I think for "Undertakers" it says "Monroe" and "In the Lair of" I think is "Don MacDonald".  I can't read the rest, including cause of death.

I'd greatly appreciate help checking my deciphering of those particular columns (and knowing what the No and Wall details are) and then understanding what I should do with information .. how do I find the graveyard and gravestone.

Many thanks

Alan
Sydney, Australia

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Request for Help to Decipher 1848/1849 Scottish Death & Burial Details
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 September 13 04:19 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Alan  :) I'd agree with your thoughts for Monroe and Don MacDonald/McDonald ...

first cause of death is Bowel Complaint ... 2nd looks like Neurosis at a glance, not sure that that would be a cause though ... may come up with something else, or someone else will  :) mare

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 September 13 04:22 BST (UK) »
 :-\ Not sure what the No. and wall column refers to ... think next column seems to just say new ground/new.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 September 13 05:23 BST (UK) »
Welcome from me too Alan.

Re which churchyard this refers to, if you have copies of the documents, is the name of the churchyard written at the top of the page, or on previous pages as a heading of some sort? I would expect burial records to specifiy the name of the burial ground.

My interpretation of what is written:
Monroe Don McDonald Y45 NN N.(presumably new)Ground Bowel Complaint
Munro D.McDonald Y45 NW (possibly north west in which case the first may also be NW rather than NN) New (ground) Nervous?(is there a word below this that may fit with nervous something as a cause of death?)

Unsure if this is possible, but if you provide the names of the deceased someone with knowledge of, or access to, burial records in Glasgow may be able to locate them for you.

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 September 13 05:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie ... could be  Nervous   :-\ pretty much same as Neurosis though ... in that would it really be a cause?

... agree with the Y45 on plot number, just not sure what the wall abb. is 

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 September 13 06:48 BST (UK) »
just not sure what the wall abb. is

Might it be related to the position of the grave related to the NW side of the church or near a NW facing wall? I think if we find out what churchyard the burials are in we should be able to locate the grave.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 12 September 13 07:10 BST (UK) »
The top entry 'M' in M'cdonald and the Undertaker word first letter are different if it is Monroe
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline GailB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 September 13 07:26 BST (UK) »
Is it Y45 or a superscript 2 slash 45 - 2/45 ?????????????
Armitage, Atherton, Barton, Beck, Bradshaw, Brumfitt, Chetwin, Conalty, Connolly, Connor(s), Davidson, Hilton, Hoey, Johnson, Jones, Knight, Lester, McDonald, Molyneux, Morris, Pownall, Rushton, Spark, Stanley, Tunstall, Welsby, West, Wharton, Williams, Wilson, Windridge, Windstandley

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 September 13 08:24 BST (UK) »
Very good point Gail! ... could well be

See the point with the M as well ... first entry looks like Monroe and second more like Munro at a glance but could just be thicker pen ... shame there is a line through the M in the second entry of McDonald but it looks like it is formed more like the M of Monroe  :-\