Author Topic: William and Harriet Stephens of Ipswich, Suffolk  (Read 6247 times)

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Nothing is true, everything is permitted
    • View Profile
Re: William and Harriet Stephens of Ipswich, Suffolk
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 19 September 13 22:29 BST (UK) »
Evening all

Thanks for finding those baptism entries Jorose. The William and George you've found are almost certainly to be their children. :)

As Annette has pointed out, there is a query regarding Harriet's age which in turn make me doubt that the Mary found born in 1817 is their daughter. The census' returns give Harriet's DoB as 1800, but her death certificate and burial record lists her being born in 1803

This is why I am trying to find their marriage record (if they married at all) and/or their passenger list to India. Harriet would have been 16-19 years old when William was born, but if Mary is their child as well, then she would have given birth when she was 14-17.

It still leaves us with the question of how did Harriet get to India. Did she leave with William or was she already over there with her family? I'm now trying to find any record that might show a Samuel Malden, or any potential children being present in India around the time Harriet was born

Offline defaults72

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 December 13 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone

My wife has her 3 x Gr Grandfather John MALDEN dying in Ipswich before the 1841 Census. He married at Charlotte OSBORN at Ispwich in 1829. I haven't been able to track any details of birth or origin for him.  What is interesting is that his children are: Robert (b 1829), John (1831-1874),  Charlotte (1834), Harriet (1837) and Sarah (b 1840) - all born in Suffolk, mostly Ipswich.. These appear to be similar to some of the names of the children of William and Harriet.

I wonder if this John MALDEN is the sibling of Harriet, and therefore the son of blacksmith Samuel from Stepney.

Keen to establish a connection.

Graham

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 28 December 13 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Graham

Sorry for the late reply

I did mention previously that your John could be a potential brother to my Harriet. The names of the children are similar, and both John and Harriet ended their days by working/living in pubs (John in the Curriers Arms, Harriet in the Horse & Groom)

Unfortunately, I still have not been able to find a link between the two or find suitable baptism entries in the Stepney area. There are other Malden's in the Stepney area around the 1750-1770's and at least one known family in nearby Limehouse in the early 1820's

As for William, I have more information. There is another version of his service record which reveals he was born in the parish of Logie Buchan, Aberdeenshire in 1796. He was the son of John Stephens. He also appears to have an elder sister, Ann, who was also born in Logie Buchan in 1791.

William's service record revealed that his service in India began on 28 June 1817. If the regiment was already in India on that date, then it could mean Harriet ran away with William when she was ~14 years old.

Other possibilities could be the Malden's were on-board with the regiment when they sailed for India (perhaps William and Harriet married at sea?) or they were already stationed there when the 69th regiment arrived. Perhaps Samuel was one of the many blacksmiths the army used during the conflict?

I will keep on looking and hopefully find that elusive connection between Samuel, Harriet and John!

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 December 13 13:22 GMT (UK) »
This is actually meant for Graham (defaults72) regarding John Malden.

John Malden was bur.14/7/1840 St. Nicholas, Ipswich aged 40.

He appears to have been born at Bramford (village on outskirts of Ipswich - sneeze and you're there) baptised there 1/6/1800 son of Robert and Ann (nee Johnson).   12 siblings (some of whom died) and I can give you the details if you'd like them).

Robert Malden married Ann Johnson 7/7/1799 Bramford

Robert Malden was also in St. Nicholas, Ipswich on 1841 census living with a Palmer family and think the wife Sarah was his daughter.   Robert bc.1773 bur.11/1/1842 St. Nicholas, Ipswich.   Wife Ann bc.1780 was bur.16/8/1826 Bramford.   So looks like Robert and family moved into Ipswich after 1826.

Robert Molden bp.23/7/1772 Bramford, son of Robert and Sarah
(possible twin John baptised the same day but buried 21/6/1774)
Sarah bp.27/2/1774 Bramford, dau. of Robert and Sarah.

A Sarah Molden bur.17/10/1774 Bramford - no age given but think it was probably Sarah senior.
Robert senior bur.26/4/1801 Bramford - no age given.

Robert Molden of Bramford married Sarah Garner 29/10/1770 Semer, Suffolk.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline millie mo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 18 November 14 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jibba  Your William and Harriet Stephens are also my 4x great grandparents. Harriet (born Ireland) is my 3xggmother.

I was delighted to come across this posting because I've been stuck with the Stephens for a couple of years. I have asked all the same questions that you did but with no answers up to now. Since reading your posts I've got a copy of his service record but I note that you say there is another version which states be was born in Logie Bechan. I've seen this baptism on family search but could you tell me where you found the 2nd service record?

Have you got any further with Harriet and her father Samuel ?

You found deaths for George and Charles, are they definitely the right guys? The reason I ask is that a while ago I was in touch with a lady from America who thought her ancestor was "our Charles" she says he joined the army and ended up in America !!! I've yet to be convinced on that one.

I hope you still use this site as it was a year ago when you made your request for help.

Thanks
Maggie

Offline jibba

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 20 November 14 14:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie

Glad to hear from you. Which of Harriet's children do you descend from? I descend from her son George, which if you search for his name on this site is something I am not proud of.

Unfortunately I am still stuck on both the Stephens and the Malden's, and am unsure as to further investigate their background.

Williams services records: One is listed above by Jorose, which I think is that same one that can be found on FindMyPast. The other can be found in the Canada, British Regimental Registers of Service, 1756-1900 collection on Ancestry.

George and Charles: I cannot 100% confirm that the George and Charles listed in the civil register are ours. However given their ages are the same and that they are buried at St Helen's, which is where William is also buried, would strongly suggest that they belong to this family. Of course if your lady from the States has proof that Charles did survive I stand to be corrected!

Regards
Lee

Offline millie mo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 20 November 14 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lee

Thanks for getting back to me, its nice to hear from you.

I descend from Harriet and George's son William. William married Henrietta Lavinia Allison, always known as Alma.

I have known about your George and his poor wife and children for some time now. My William and Alma took in their son George Charles, the 1901 census for Blackburn, Lancashire shows George as their son age 14. Which of George's children do you descend from, I know they were scattered about after George was sent to prison for assaulting his daughter Annie.

Thanks for the info re Williams service records, I'll have a look at that. You mentioned that James Stephens joined the navy are you aware that James' son Lindsay James Stephens was also a sailor and was awarded the OBE ?

I knew William must have been in the army with Eliza being born "on the sea" and I always had the thought that Samuel Malden was Blacksmith in the army and that's how William and Harriet meet. Proving it is a different matter! Did you ever get their daughter Jane's birth cert?  Harriet's surname is spelt Mauldin on it.

As for George and Charles Stephens deaths you'll have to forgive me as in my excitement at finding your post I got the generations mixed up and it's Charles Page the American lady thinks she descends from.

Maggie