Author Topic: Ramsey PR lookup needed - Hanchor & Ibberson  (Read 8805 times)

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
Re: Ramsey PR lookup needed - Hanchor & Ibberson
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 25 July 23 04:46 BST (UK) »
Hey Roderick,

How lovely to connect with you.

How wonderful that you have been able to get in touch with Frederick Arthur Crisp's grandson, I certainly do wish you luck with locating the actual bible...that would be gold!

Henry Ibberson & Sarah Fullilove had at least 3 children. Elizabeth Ibberson c1784 (who married her cousin Isaac Ibberson in 1804 at Ramsey), Overall Ibberson c1806 (sometimes recorded as Henry Overall Ibberson who married Caroline Campion in 1832 at Ramsey) & Carrina Ibberson who was buried at Ramsey CoE 11 July 1809 (her parents are given as Henry & Sarah, but no age is given).

I suspect that they may have had more children, but as we are working with no baptisms it is hard to confirm them. I have found burials for 2 other Ibberson's at Ramsey CoE, that I have been unable to link with any other families, and I suspect belong to Henry & Sarah. They are Sarah Ibberson who is buried 9 Sep 1815, aged 13yrs (no parents names are given, but she would have been born abt 1802 so could fit), and Louisa Ibberson who is buried 26 Sep 1815, aged 4yrs (no parents names are given again, but she would have been born abt 1811 so could also feasibly fit).

I have not been able to locate any reference to Sarah Ibberson (nee Fullilove)'s death/burial to date. Do the Great Whyte Baptist registers post 1805 show anything for Sarah? or for Henry's death in 1831 for that matter?

I have his death date as 19 Apr 1831, but this is extrapolated from a newspaper article:

Huntingdon, Bedford & Peterborough Gazette, Saturday 23 Apr 1831: "Died on Tuesday morning last, Henry Ibberson, Esq. of Ramsey, in the 80th year of his age, respected by all who knew him."

I am intruiged by your mention of the 'Ibberson plaque' at Great Whyte baptist church - what does it say? Would it be possible to get a photo or transcription?

I have a copy of Henry Ibberson's will written 9 July 1828, proved 30 May 1831 Archdeaconry of Huntingdon in which he mentions his children Overall & Elizabeth. His wife Sarah is not mentioned, and I presume was already deceased. I also have copies of the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon marriage licences for Henry Ibberson & Sarah Fullilove as well as both their children; Elizabeth Ibberson & Isaac Ibberson and Henry Overall Ibberson & Caroline Campion. Henry Ibberson gives consent for Elizabeth's marriage and is therefore mentioned in the documents. Isaac is the son of John Ibberson & Mary Hanchor. I have a copy of Isaac Ibberson's will written 13 Mar 1837, and proved 11 Oct 1837. It states he died on 16 Mar 1837, and mentions his friend Francis Saunders, as well as Isaac's extensive family. Isaac & Elizabeth Ibberson had 10 children, and Overall & Caroline Ibberson had 7...so there are a few more relatives for you ;)

Elizabeth Ibberson features in the census as below, and is buried at the Ramsey CoE with a headstone:

1841 census - Forty Foot Bridge, Ramsey, Huntingdonshire

Henry Ibberson 25yrs Farmer Y
Mary Ibberson 25yrs Y
---
Elizabeth Ibberson 55yrs Ind Y
Carrina Cripps 25yrs Y
Elizabeth Cripps 25yrs Y
Caroline ?? 20yrs Y

1851 census - Ramsey, Huntingdonshire

Elizabeth Ibberson Head W 67yrs Annuitant b. Ramsey, Huntingdonshire
Jane Brighty Dau W 41yrs Widow of a farmer b. Ramsey, Huntingdonshire
Emma Brighty Gdau 12yrs Scholar b. Doddington, Isle of Ely, Cambridgeshire

Ramsey Parish Church MI's
Headstone
In memory of Elizabeth the wife of Isaac IBBERSON who died the 9 February 1858 aged 74 years.

Overall Ibberson features in the census as below, he died in 1869 but I have not ordered a copy of his will to date.

1841 census - Ramsey, Huntingdonshire

Overall Ibberson 35yrs Merchant Y
Caroline Ibberson 30yrs Y
Sarah Ibberson 7yrs Y
John Ibberson 5yrs
Caroline Ibberson 3yrs
William Ibberson 1yr
+ 2 servants

1851 census - Great White, Ramsey, Huntingdonshire

Overall Ibberson Head M 45yrs Timber Merchant b. Ramsey, Hunts
Caroline Ibberson Wife M 40yrs b. Bury, Hunts
Sarah Ibberson Dau 17yrs b. Ramsey, Hunts
Caroline Ibberson Dau 13yrs Scholar b. Ramsey, Hunts
William H Ibberson Son 11yrs Scholar b. Ramsey, Hunts
Susan Ibberson Dau 9yrs Scholar b. Ramsey, Hunts
Elizabeth Ibberson Dau 7yrs Scholar b. Ramsey, Hunts
Roland Ibberson Son 2yrs b. Ramsey, Hunts
Hannah Bridgfort Niece 9yrs b. Ramsey, Hunts
+ 2 servants

1861 census - Great White, Ramsey, Huntingdonshire

Overall Ibberson Head M 55yrs landed proprietor b. Ramsey, Hunts
Caroline Ibberson Wife M 50yrs b. Bury, Hunts
Sarah M Ibberson Dau U 27yrs b. Ramsey, Hunts
Caroline Ibberson Dau U 23yrs b. Ramsey, Hunts
Susan E Ibberson Dau U 19yrs b. Ramsey, Hunts
Elizabeth Ibberson Dau U 17yrs Scholar b. Ramsey, Hunts
Rowland Ibberson Son U 12yrs Scholar b. Ramsey, Hunts
+ 1 servant

Probate: 22 March 1869
The Will of Overall Ibberson, late of Ramsey in the county of Huntingdon, Gentleman, deceased, who died 6th February 1869 at Ramsey aforesaid was proven at Peterborough by the oaths of David Ulyat Ibberson of Benwick in the Isle of Ely and County of Cambridge farmer, and John Overall Ibberson of Ramsey aforesaid Agent, the son, the executors. Effects under 200 pounds.

I do not know of any Militia links amongst my family, but will let you know if I come across anything.

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline FULOFLOVE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 25 July 23 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny

Thanks for all that great info.

I have gathered a lot of Ibberson data, but have done that mainly to flesh out my ubderstanding of the doings of the Fulliloves in Ramsey - who need all the help I can muster, since they have kept themselves mostly well hidden.

That said, I have a pile of Ibberson news to share - but getting it into a logical order to present will take some doing.

Am trying to find my photos of the Ibberson plaque - it is somewhere - just need to locate it. Otherwise I am due to go chappel soon - perhaps to do a talk about Samuel - whom they know precious little about - then I'll take new photos.

The chapel deeds are cool - contain 7 ibbersons and 7 saunders all of whom underwrote the 2nd chappel in 1806...... all sign and seal that deed.

I have documents relating to Henry's will that prove his wife in 1827 was Ann, not Sarah.

There is a lot to go through - we should at least do a phone call - where in the world are you?

Roger

PS, I can't seem to get the attachment feature of this site - so we might also need an email link

Offline FULOFLOVE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 25 July 23 09:33 BST (UK) »
By example.....

CalmRefNo   KR/R34/4/19

Reference number   R34/4/19

Title   Letters of Administration. with the will of the late Henry Ibberson annexed.

Description   The administration is granted to his widow, Ann Ibberson, of Benwick, because Joseph Jones of the Four Hundred Feet Bank, Hunts, farmer, and Isaac Ibberson of the Meer Side, Isle of Ely, farmer named as trustees and executors of the will, have renounced their executorship. His will is that all his real and personal estates go to the use and benifit of his widow and all his children still living in equal shares.
Date   16th October, 1827.

Roger

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 25 July 23 13:25 BST (UK) »
Hey Roger (sorry, I've been calling you Roderick!),

I am happy to connect via e-mail to share information, I'll send you a PM with my e-mail address so that we can share files. Thank you so much for offering to find/take photos of the Ibberson plaque, it is greatly appreciated. I am now intrigued as to which Ibberson's feature in the deeds, and other records you have gathered...it'll be like Christmas!

I live in Brisbane, Australia....so I think telephone calls might be out of the question, with the time difference....besides I work full time too ;)

The document you referenced around the administration of Henry Ibberson's will in 1827 relates to the nephew of Henry Ibberson (who married Sarah Fullilove, and died in 1831). This Henry Ibberson was the son of Francis Ibberson & Margaret Hanchor - who are my direct line. I descend from his sister Mary Ibberson who married Joseph Tubbs in 1803 in Doddington. Henry Ibberson died in Benwick (not Ramsey) in 1827, he had married Ann Simpson in 1810 in Haddenham, and she was still alive at the time of his death. He had 10 children and there are many many many records about their various inheritances after his death. I have a copy of his will:

Henry Ibberson of Benwick, Isle of Ely, Cambridge, Farmer
Written: 31 Jan 1826
Proved: 16 Oct 1827 Consistory Court of Ely

There are many Ibbersons in this area, often with similar names and it has taken me a wee while to sort them all out, especially with so many of them being Baptist!! The wills have been a godsend.

Jenny
Clark, Sommerlad, Bowden, Barrett, Griffey, Sayers, Bridge, Walters, Pollard, Capel, Dibble, James, Lingard, Mensforth, Watts, Rutherford, Stainton, Chatterton, Tubbs, Thompson, Fulton, Booth, Sellwood, Edwards, Pitcher, Creech, Johns, Phillips, Roberts, Keast, Tregonning, Mason, Lancefield, Ibberson, Green, Case, Cook, Dunham, Porter, Pope, Hall, Welsh, Hellefield, Warburton, Fletcher, Foster, Stiles, Tait, Nicoll, Sutherland, McIntyre, Cole, Neal, Ladlow, Bellamy, Castleton, Barker, Yuill

Offline FULOFLOVE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 25 July 23 16:23 BST (UK) »
Ah ha, the old two Henrys trick- its been played on me a few times!

Now I'm hoping one or more of these Ibberson wills names, or at leasr points to, Samuel Fullilove, his children or his grandchildren..... Almost certainly the Ibbesson supported Samuel's ministry at that chapel 1765-98, including providing the building/land - Samuel is mentioned in Francis Ibberson's will.

Sarah Ibberson, b 1765, wife of one Henry, was the daughter of Samuel, my g g g g grandfather, and sister to Jonathon Fullilove, 1788-1841, my g g g grandfather.....

Identifying the land/houses rented to Samuel, by the Ibbersons - documented in c1794, could lead to a trail of property, tax, etc records that could really flesh out my Fullilove story in Ramsey.

Ramsey is but one chapter of my family history - I have document 18 generations fro John Fuloflove, 1487-c1556 thru to my own grandson, Jack, born 2001 anf fl 2023 - 536 years!

Roger

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 01:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for e-mailing through the 1806 deed Roger...I'll have a good check through the Ibberson names mentioned and link them into my tree....both the Henry's certainly seem to be present ;)

I can see the reference to Samuel Fullilove in my 7th great grandfather Francis Ibberson's will:

Francis Ibberson of the Forty Foot Bridge, Ramsey, Gent
Written: 19 Aug 1780
Proved: 14 Feb 1781

"my messuage or tenement situate standing and being in Ramsey aforesaid in a certain place called the Great White together with the Meeting House and other buildings, yards, gardens, orchards, and appurtenances thereunto belonging now in the tenure or occupation of Samuel Fullilove and purchased by me of John Mitchell to hold to my said son John Ibberson his heirs and assigns for ever" 

I also note that Saml Fullilove witnessed the will.

I will check the other Ibberson wills I have and see if there are any other mentions of the Fullilove family, what are some of the families the children/grandchildren married into?

Are there any Fullilove wills?

Jenny

Offline JenClark

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Exhausted yet content!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 12:53 BST (UK) »
Right Roger...I've had a look through the wills I have post 1765 that mention land in Ramsey, but have not really come across any other references to the Meeting House, Samuel Fullilove or the Fullilove family  :-\

The best I have is for:
Isaac Hanchor of Ramsey 1767 - This is Francis Ibberson 1781's nephew, and also Father in law to both Francis Ibberson 1781's sons John & Francis (they married his daughters Mary & Margaret Hanchor), yes confusing I know! It mentions property in Great White (tenement, orchard, barn, stable & pasture) but there are no occupiers listed, so I presume Isaac was in occupation of it. Samuel Fullilove is a witness to the will, but not mentioned anywhere in it. The will was written 31 August 1767, and proved at the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon 26 October 1767.

I also checked the below:
James Newton of Ramsey 1804 - This Francis Ibberson 1781's son John Ibberson's father in law
Francis Ibberson of Benwick 1821 - This is the son of Francis Ibberson 1781
Henry Ibberson of Ramsey 1831 - This is the son of Francis Ibberson 1781
John Ibberson of Ramsey 1835 - This is the son of Francis Ibberson 1781, he was bequeathed the land where the Meeting house was, his daughter Sarah married John Saunders of Brick Kilns, Ramsey who is an executor of the will (I note he is also a signatory on the 1806 deed)
Isaac Ibberson of Ramsey 1837 - This is the son of John Ibberson, GSon of Francis 1781, Great White property is mentioned but it is occupied by Miss Crafer & ___ Brown
Cyrus Ibberson of Ramsey 1846 - This is the son of Isaac Ibberson, GSon of John, GGson of Francis 1781, Great White property is mentioned but it is occupied by Robert Pepper & Jane Brighty
Isaac Ibberson of Cambridge & Ramsey 1850 - This is the son of Francis Ibberson, GSon of Francis 1781, there is no mention of Great White

I have other Ramsey wills, but they are pre 1765

Not sure that this helps you much...

Jenny

Offline FULOFLOVE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 20:06 BST (UK) »
Thx for all the info so far - yes the Fulliloves are elusive, but that 1767 will at least tells me that Samuel was in Ramsey by then. Important dates in Samuel's life include:

1724 - born Coventry, son of Jonathon III & Sarah
1743 - likely completed apprentiseship as Silk Ribbon Weaver
1744 - married in Coventry to Elizabeth Waters
1751/2 - seen in Bethnal Green London, burial of two infants
1755/8 - seen in Cripplegate - tax payer and star witness at the buggery trial of Charles Bradbury
1761 - seen in Foulshill, Warwickshire - burial of daughter
1763 - likely received family bible from mother who died that year*
1765 - seen in Ramsey/Cambs as Baptist Minister at 5 meeting houses
1767 - your reference viz will
1780 - wife dies in Ramsey
1782 - remarries in Ramsey - Elizabeth Fox
1783 - son Joseph born Ramsey
1796 - seen as tennent in Ramsey St mary - land emclosure papers
1798 - died Ramsey
1806 - memorial stone moved to entrance hall of new chapel

Samual recorded 5 children in the bible - 1761-1766 - including Sarah nee Ibberson (m1782)

Is your Ibberson tree online? Good to sort them out in my head

I'll send the other document by email after this

Roger
sites 

Offline FULOFLOVE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 27 July 23 06:41 BST (UK) »
PS, No Fullilove wills found in Ramsey

1780 - Samuel cited as Coventry voter - he being a freeman of the city after apprenticeship ending c1743