Author Topic: 1973 Adelaide Advertiser lookup. Arthur Lawder Deane Barker  (Read 5368 times)

Offline ashleighn19

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1973 Adelaide Advertiser lookup. Arthur Lawder Deane Barker
« on: Monday 16 September 13 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I am looking for information regarding Arthur Lawder Deane Barker. From my research he was born 11 July 1904 and died 7 June 1973. He married my great grand aunt Jean Hossack James on 8 May 1937 in Kensington South Australia.

Other than birth, marriage and death dates, I know very little about this couple. I would especially like to know if they had any children, and where they are buried.

I believe that Arthur had a death notice in the Adelaide Advertiser in 1973. Does anyone have access to copies of the Advertiser for this year who would be able to look him up for me?

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Ash
Names: Chesson, Williams, Blowes, Bowden, Bowman, Bray, Cooper, Crawford, James, Wellington, Wheton.

Locations: South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland, England, Scotland, Ireland

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1973 Adelaide Advertiser lookup. Arthur Lawder Deane Barker
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 September 13 00:54 BST (UK) »
You could search at your state library or alternatively pay for a copy from SA Genealogy.  On the same database is a entry for Jean Hossack BARKER, 1995.
http://www.genealogysa.org.au/resources/online-databases.html

There are a number of online trees including one which is probably yours, however the info is identical on all trees.  Sadly none of them are referenced with sources.

Birth
BARKER Arthur Lander Deane
11 Jul 1904
Father Thomas James Deane BARKER  Mother Florence Harriett SMITH
At Norwood     Nor 733/30

Marriage
BARKER Arthur Lauder Deane 32 years Status Single  Father Thomas James Deane BARKER
JAMES Jean Hossack 27 years  Status Single  Father Philip JAMES
8 May 1937
At St Matthews Church Kensington  Nor Symbol S  377/1957

S. The certificate contains information which may not be published such as:
·   Groom or Brides father is deceased
·   The Mothers name is stated
·   The age is listed in years and months
·   A subsequent divorce is listed
·   Other unusual information is listed

Arthur's cremation record at Centennial Park
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0w55/

Jean is not interred at Centennial Park.

I do have a couple of electoral rolls but not all electorates are included.  I will have a look later for you.

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 September 13 00:58 BST (UK) »
Jean was cremated at Enfield Memorial Park.

BARKER Jean Hossack  85 years
Date of Death 10 December 1995
Last residence Kensington   Cremation

Cremated remains not interred at a cemetery administered by Adelaide Cemeteries Authority

Cando

Offline ashleighn19

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 September 13 01:07 BST (UK) »
Hey Cando,

Thank so much for your help. I really appreciate it. I am unfortunately a long way from my state library, and don't have a spare day to be able to go down to Brisbane to look it up. I realise I can pay to have someone look it up for me, which is probably what I will end up having to do to get these death notices.

They are probably all my trees, I keep my references private on purpose so that if someone wants to use my information, I get to talk to them. Its an easy way to make contact with others researching common family members.

Jean's father was deceased at the time of her marriage, so I assume that is why she was given the "S" coding.

Thank you so much for finding where they are buried/cremated. I honestly don't think they had any children, I can just find no information about their lives or even what they did for a living. Seems odd that from the time of their marriage to the time of their death they did nothing of note.

Any more information you can find would be fantastic!

Thanks so much!

Ash
Names: Chesson, Williams, Blowes, Bowden, Bowman, Bray, Cooper, Crawford, James, Wellington, Wheton.

Locations: South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland, England, Scotland, Ireland

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 September 13 03:41 BST (UK) »
Your profile shows location Sydney ;)

Seems odd that from the time of their marriage to the time of their death they did nothing of note.

I don't find that odd. I find that quite normal. What were you expecting to find? 

You have six online trees all on ancestry ::)

Yours - We are currently unable to find the tree you are trying to access. We may be experiencing technical difficulties, or it is possible that the tree owner has removed this tree.

Are you sure they are all yours as the other five are public and yours doesn't detail Arthur's parents?  I don't think they are all yours.

Where did you source the info for Arthur's death?

Jean's father was deceased at the time of her marriage, so I assume that is why she was given the "S" coding.

Not necessarily so.  You would need to purchase a transcription to find the reason.

There are no online electoral rolls for SA and if I find time I'll  search my own resources. 

Cando

Offline ashleighn19

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 September 13 04:34 BST (UK) »
Hey Cando,

I've moved and I just haven't updated my profile on here.

I don't have six trees, I have one.. I had some problems with ancestry and my new computer so I had to update multiple trees, but I've since deleted them.

I don't have many details on Arthur's family, as he is my great great grand Uncle, and therefore only distantly related. I am really more interested in his wife, Jean.

I am going to purchase the transcription as soon as I am able to.

Like I said, I am really trying to find details on Jean rather than Arthur. However, as Arthur pre-deceased Auntie Jean I was looking for his death notice to try and get some details on the family.

This is just the first couple I've come across in my family who have had no children. Usually I can track families through where they have their children, however with no children there is no path to follow.

Thanks so much for your help Cando. I do really appreciate it.

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 17 September 13 04:44 BST (UK) »
Someone on Geni also has him on a family tree
Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tedscout

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 September 13 04:50 BST (UK) »
His birth registration has him listed as Arthur Lander Deane Barker. (repeating what Cando found so you see why I thought this elecrol roll entry is relevent)

In 1937 he and Elizabeth Jean are at 248 William Street, Broken Hill NSW he is listed as a fitter. Hi is listed again as Lander
Gadsby's, Farmers, Neals - Leicestershire
Freemans, Littles, Corbetts, Branns - Australia

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ashleighn19

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 September 13 04:56 BST (UK) »
Hey Ted,

I've always wondered if the spelling was relevant. However, his wife's name was Jean, not Elizabeth so I don't think this can be the same man.

Could I be wrong?

Ash