Author Topic: John Pierpoint  (Read 2742 times)

Offline ColinJoseph

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Pierpoint
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 01 December 18 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello, You may remember me, I told you about my Pierpoint research, and we both had John Pierpoint with no suitable baptism, although you have the date of birth.
I tried again in Sandbach Library on Ancestry yesterday, and came up with this in Staffordshire.
    John Pierpoint male
    Baptism 20th October 1799 Burslem Staffordshire England
    Father  Thomas Pierpoint mother Ann Pierpoint
    Source: extracted from Church of England Parish records.

It is a bit late from 5th March 1798 but they didn't always have the baptism straight away. You could try the Tythes in Staffordshire Record Office for further information. I got a lot on John Pierpoint at Brereton including how many calves, geese and poultry he had in 1755! (In Cheshire Record Office)

I hope this helps.
There were Pierpoints at Betchton long before 1798, I found the following Pierpoints of Betchton in the Sandbach Parish Records:
   Thomas Pierpoint of Betchton had baptised:  Hannah 4 Feb 1743, Thomas 25 Feb 1745 (died 14 Apr 1746); Thomas 24 Feb 1746, Catharine 3 Apr 1748 (died 10 Apr 1748); Abegail 25 Feb 1750, Elizabeth 7 Oct 1753, Martha 24Jan 1755, William 13 Feb 1756, John 31 July 1757, Catharine 22 July 1759.
William baptised 1756 married Mary, and had children baptised: William 4 June 1789, Thomas 4 March 1788, Betty 1 June 1802, Ann 18 Nov 1812.
Your John Pierpoint should be in that lot really, but I have not found him.

Another possibility is that you look at the land Tax for Betchton in Cheshire Record Office.
Did you know that one of the locks on the canal in Betchton is called Pierpoint Lock?

Offline ColinJoseph

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Pierpoint
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 31 January 24 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Reply for tofgem regarding John Pierpoint.
I have done the Pierpoint research around Brereton and Sandbach from 1540 to the present day. Another person (may have been you) was stuck with the same John Pierpoint b 1798 and couldn't find the baptism.
Eventually I solved this as follows, around Betchton there were Pierpoints unrelated to my family tree.
     John Pierpoint in on this separate Betchton Branch.
 The Betchton Branch is not linked to my main tree. They are descended from John Pierpoint who was born 1798 at Middlewich. His  father William Pierpoint married Mary Ollyer at Middlewich on 17th July 1783, but he came from Winwick now just north of modern Warrington. There is no proof that they are connected with the other Pierpoints in Sandbach and Brereton.
You should find |John Pierpoint's baptism in the Middlewich records, if not look  for the marriage of william Pierpoint and Mary Ollyer, and trace their children.
                         Good Luck  Colin Pierpoint (Of Sandbach)