Author Topic: Bridget Tomas, born about 1870, County Mayo  (Read 7259 times)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Bridget Tomas, born about 1870, County Mayo
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 15 January 23 08:25 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

I came on this website and looking through the thread. my father was Thomas Tomas, his father was Patrick and my great grandfather was Martin. the old ruin of the home place is still there is belderrig.
the farm is still in the Tomas family.

The official spelling to the townland was (and is) Belderg More (or Beg) in the civil parish of Doonfeeny.

See reply #12

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5160703#map=13/54.2964/-9.5373

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline jstrevey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 17 January 23 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello!  I was SO happy to find your message!!  Could you please clarify a couple of things for me?  When my gr-grandma died in 1930 she had two brothers still living in Ireland... Thomas and Patrick.  Since your father was Thomas (son of Patrick), he must've been Bridget's nephew, right?
I did hear from another relative... Patricia Tomas.  Her grandfather was Thomas Tomas, and her father was Michael. Do you know her?
I know that Martin had another daughter besides Bridget. In 1930, she was listed as 'Mrs. Michael Flynn' of Scranton, Pennsylvania.  I've never been able to figure out her first name, or any of her children.  If you could help me that would be wonderful.
I was so happy to hear that the family still lives on the property in Belderg More, and that some remnants still remain. My email is *  I'd love to hear from you, and find out more about the Tomas family.  Thanks so much!  Jeanne Reeths Strevey

*Moderator comment: personal e-mail address removed in accordance with RootsChat guidance and general practice, to prevent others spamming or abusing it.  Please use the personal message system to exchange e-mail addresses. Thanks

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 21:17 GMT (UK) »

The posting of e-mail addresses is forbidden here on RootsChat.

The "modify" button is available for 24 hours - otherwise ask a moderator “report to moderator” to remove your e-mail address.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 18 January 23 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Here is Kate Tomas (Catherine) immigration 1910
Her brother Thos Tomas - relative
She is going to her cousin Margaret McAndrew/s in Scranton. (2nd page info).
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JJJC-KPJ
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jstrevey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 21 January 23 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information about Kate.  By any chance, do you have any photos of the Tomas family, or pictures of the Tomas farm?
Thanks!

Offline FrankiiFame

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 01 February 23 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Id like to chat... Im from Muskegon... Trying to find info about my father's biological family... I have gotten so far as his mothers name was Helen (Shields) Holtz, she had 2 sisters Eileen Shields & Mary Katherine Shields, a brother Peter D Shields... Their parents were Bridgett & Dennis using ingenuity & FamilySearch as Helen wasnt added in with her siblings on FamilySearch bc she was disgraced tho she is on there separate, and I found an obit of her daughter Debra Zukiewicz that included her brothers Tracy & Barry Holtz who I know of which are my dads biologic half brothers along with 4 more half siblings.... famefrankii

Please & thankyou 💖

Offline jstrevey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Patricia Tomas...   I hope you see this and will contact me.  I lost everything in my email, so I no longer have our conversation about your grandfather, Thomas Tomas.  Please contact me when you see this.  I am back to researching the Tomas family, and need all the help I can get!
Thanks so much!
Jeanne Strevey
**Also, anyone else with information about the Tomas family of County Mayo....please contact me!

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 30 January 24 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Id like to chat... Im from Muskegon... Trying to find info about my father's biological family... I have gotten so far as his mothers name was Helen (Shields) Holtz, she had 2 sisters Eileen Shields & Mary Katherine Shields, a brother Peter D Shields... Their parents were Bridgett & Dennis using ingenuity & FamilySearch as Helen wasnt added in with her siblings on FamilySearch bc she was disgraced tho she is on there separate, and I found an obit of her daughter Debra Zukiewicz that included her brothers Tracy & Barry Holtz who I know of which are my dads biologic half brothers along with 4 more half siblings.... famefrankii

Please & thankyou 💖

Hello and welcome to Rootschat. You haven’t given any dates so it is difficult. I have possibly found some of your named persons.
However, the generations do not quite match.

1940 census
Here is Helen B Shields b 1926 with parents Peter and Bernice. She has siblings, Mary K, Eileen and Peter and Daniel.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KH3S-KR3

Peter snr  is possibly the son of Dennis and Bridget (Tomas).

Helen Holtz is here with a 13 yr old Daniel J Shields
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:6FS6-Q7ST

Is this the family you mean?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk