Author Topic: Kingsey parish records.  (Read 3064 times)

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
Kingsey parish records.
« on: Thursday 19 September 13 08:46 BST (UK) »
These do not appear to be on the IGI, does anyone know if they are available anywhere other than at the Records Office? 

I am looking for James Adams born about 1778. 

On his marriage record he is 'off Waddesdon' but his baptism is not there.  On the burial record it says he is 'of Kingsey' - despite the fact that he is buried in Haddenham where he had lived for many years.

Any help much appreciated.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
Re: Kingsey parish records.
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 September 13 10:06 BST (UK) »
Sorry, no Adams baptisms at all in OxFHS - Kingsey Parish Transcripts. :(

Being 'of' somewhere, does not neccessarily mean he was born there.  There maybe a chance he was born in Haddenham, as he was buried there.

Have you got his death cert.?   I would assume his son Joseph was the informant(he appears to be with him in 1841 census, in Haddenham).

Does it give his age in the burial record.

Ask BucksFHS for a baptism search for him, with a small spread of years +/- 5 years.  You will receive all(if any) baptisms in Bucks for that period.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 September 13 13:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks bucksboy - he's not at Haddenham - the only one I've come up with so far is at Ellesborough.

The first definite record I have seen for the Adams family is in the parish register of Dinton Church, which shows the marriage of James Adams to Mary Stevens, on the 21st May 1804. James is shown as being of the Parish of Waddesdon and the witness is the Parish Clerk, James Wootton.

A contact who has done a great deal of research into local families advises me that she thinks James Adams actually came from Ellesborough and was baptized on 25 September 1774, the son of William and Hannah.  This is also the only possible baptism I have found even with help from Bucks FHS.  Trouble is I have been unable to prove this is the right one.

Yes, I have a copy of the death certificate - the informant was the coroner - presumably because the death was sudden and unexpected (visitation of God) and was the subject of a coroner's inquest.

Interestingly son John, having lived all is life in Haddenham is to be found in Kingsey in 1881 and 1891 but is buried in Haddenham in 1894.

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 September 13 13:30 BST (UK) »
Could he have been a Baptist.  Another researcher who has been tracing family records in Haddenham,  has come across quite a few Baptist records in Haddenham(not Adams though).

There is a James Adams c1796. Ellesborough, living in Ellesborough........possible son(married to Fanny). ???

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 September 13 13:38 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately he's not there either - I have been through the Baptist records - quite a few of the ancestors are there (Cox and Montague) and in the Weslyan ones (Small)!  You can't say I don't try!

I may have to go with Ellesborough but I would like a bit more 'proof'.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 19 September 13 13:49 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately he's not there either - I have been through the Baptist records - quite a few of the ancestors are there (Cox and Montague) and in the Weslyan ones (Small)!  You can't say I don't try!

I may have to go with Ellesborough but I would like a bit more 'proof'.

If you go to Ellesborough Church, I'm not sure if they hold the registers......or there is a charge to look at them IF you're allowed.
I tried that, and was asked to fork out a good some of money, for someone else to look.   I ended up going to the CBS in Aylesbury, and got the info for free. ;) :)

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 19 September 13 14:05 BST (UK) »
As you have his possible(Ellesborough) birth parents, have you checked for Will's.

There is one for Thomas Adams in 1796 in Waddesdon. of Coney Hill.  A dairyman.  And there are more.

https://apps2.buckscc.gov.uk/ecommerce/WillsExternal/WillsExternalSearch.aspx

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 September 13 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hmmm, I know there are a lot of Adams at Waddesdon who don't appear to be related to mine but I will have another look at the wills - anything is worth a shot!

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 September 13 17:35 BST (UK) »

There is a James Adams c1796. Ellesborough, living in Ellesborough........possible son(married to Fanny). ???

Funnily enough James and Mary had four children but named none of them after themselves, as far as I know - William 1804, John 1807, Joseph  1811 and Elizabeth 1815 all baptised at Dinton.  The Elizabeth is presumably in honour of Mary's mother Elizabeth (nee Hitchcock) and the William possibly James father.  Mary's father Daniel is not so honoured!  Mary was buried at Dinton in 1819.

I have just found James 1796 in the 1841 in Ellesborough but cannot find a baptism for him - its not on the Ellesborough records on FindMyPast.

The burial record states that James was 67 when he died, the newspaper report says he was 68 as does the death certificate!