Author Topic: Missing 1861 St Alkmund's Records?  (Read 11282 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing 1861 St Alkmund's Records?
« on: Thursday 19 September 13 17:06 BST (UK) »
I've been trawling - going one-by-one through Anc*stry's on-line 1861 records for all the districts for the 1861 Census for St Alkmunds,  on a boring wet day, (in a rather desperate attempt to find a young female that I'm sure should be somewhere in the area at that time, the location of whom I've simply never been able to discover between her birth in 1856 in St Alkmunds, and her marriage in 1870s,) and I realised there didn't seem to be any "District 1" on the list. I trawled through 2 - 17 over the afternoon, and then spotted that.
Is this really missing, or is it an oversight be Anc*stry's part? - And if so, would the census be available elsewhere on line? Or even on a visit to Derby Records Office?

Could anyone advise me, please? Thanks in advance.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Missing 1861 St Alkmund's Records?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 September 13 22:31 BST (UK) »
No mention of any problems here

http://www.findmypast.co.uk/help-and-advice/knowledge-base/census/known-issues#3

Avenues to consider:

If she was illegit her mother may have married and she is recorded under her mothers married name in 1861/71

If her names are in any way unusual - use the wildcard facility to search (eg)

Phoebe Williams - search as ph**be  Will** born Derbyshire 1856 +-2yrs

Don't use St Alkmunds  use St Alk** or no district in case none is shown or a different one has been used

Try the 1861 on Family Search as that uses soundex automatically

https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1493747
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 September 13 15:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all that really good advice, CaroleW (yet again, I'm indebted to you for it). I have Anc*stry, but not access to FindMyPast now, but that's a good link to know about.
I'd decided to "browse" through the St Alkmund's entries methodically, then realised there was no "District 1" shown. I don't know the Geography of Derby well enough to isolate which area it might be, but wondered if it was actually lost. Not I can see it's not. Perhaps it's just Anc*stry that's mislaid it?
It's a long time since I'd used "Family Search" - it seems a lot different now.
Not got any nearer to her yet, but feeling that I've a few more ideas to try .....
Thank you again.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 September 13 20:07 BST (UK) »
Howz about giving us her details - you know we like a challenge ;D
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 September 13 23:22 BST (UK) »
Actually, I did ask for help from someone who offered look-ups in Derby, some time last year, and he wasn't able to help.She was Ann Newbold, b 1856 St Alkmunds, and she married in Leeds area William Isherwood, and finished up in Southport, but I don't give much chance until I'm able to get there and have a sniff around in records. thanks all the same.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 September 13 17:05 BST (UK) »
She was Ann Newbold, b 1856 St Alkmunds, and she married in Leeds area William Isherwood

Did you check freebmd - marriage was registered  Bradford and her surname is spelt Newbould.  Could that be why you are unable to find her ???

Marriage cert shows her father as William Newbould occ labourer & one of the witnesses was Joseph Newbould

Signatures from both Ann & Joseph are signed Newbould but see birth reg

Births June qtr 1855
Ann Newbold  Derby  7b 365

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 September 13 16:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks CaroleW, I knew about the marriage - it was, I think (I'm away from my records at present) at St wilfred's church, Caverley (or similar) Leeds - and Leeds is very near Bradford! The father's name and witness details you give are correct, and once she's married she turns up very reliably on censuses etc all through. I think I recall she may have been "in service", so the address she was married from isn't much help! I seem to recall that the 1871 family at that address had a surname like Smith or Brown or somethink]g similar. Dad was down as a labourer, but i've no reason to assume she was living at home. Thanks again for trying, I appreciate the effort involved.

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 19:30 BST (UK) »
If you think there's a page, or a section, missing, contact The National Archives (TNA). 

I was looking for family in Welford-on-Avon, Warks, who were there on the census for 1851 and 1871, but not 1861.  Then I noticed, having gone through it on Ancestry page by page, that p.12 was missing.  Ancestry weren't any help; Warwickshire Records Office said they had the same as Ancestry and suggested I contact TNA.  TNA took about three weeks to come back to me, but then thanked me AND sent me a copy of the missing page.  And, the family I was looking for were, indeed on that page -including the info that my g.gran had a child out of wedlock!

Give it a go, you've nothing to loose.

STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline LFS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 October 13 21:59 BST (UK) »
If you can persuade someone to go to Lichfield Record Office for you ask them to look through the Bishops' Transcripts for you - even if the Register is missing they may be complete for the date you need.  Hope you find her.
Best wishes
Derby Girl
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Winson (Dby), Stanley(Sts), Harrison(Dby to Rutland), Barker/Barber((Sts), Baston (Oxon), Wiltshire(Middx), Franklin (Herts/Beds)