Author Topic: Missing 1861 St Alkmund's Records?  (Read 11283 times)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Missing 1861 St Alkmund's Records?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 11 October 13 17:18 BST (UK) »
All suggestions gratefully accepted, I assure you......

Have you tried my idea - message 7 in this thread - of asking The National Archives?
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 12 October 13 05:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

Do you have the birth certificate for Ann Newbold registered Derby Registration District June Qtr 1855 Vol 7b Page 365?  This would hopefully confirm the fathers name (people have been known to fib on marriage certificates) mothers name and address.

Once you have a birth address you can look for that address in 1861 census.

Andy

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 12 October 13 12:06 BST (UK) »
She's born 1856 actually, the 1855 lass is another.... thanks andycand.Not all birth certs actually seem all that helpful re. addresses - I've two that just give a town! Wierd, or what?
Smalltowngirl: Yes, I've contacted them - no response as yet, but you (or someone) did say to not expect a swift response, and I think their website suggests several working days - So I've popped her back on the back burner for the time being, and going off to gnaw on another ancestral bone or two for a while.
LFS: That'd be great, if it's not too much hassle, and fits in, but please don't feel you have to. I really must manage to get to the Derby area myself, sometime, just need to organise myself. It's the St Alkmund's District 1 for 1861, as we've discussed ref probably RG9/2494, looking for a family of Newbould/Newbold, with daughter Ann.
Thanks for all your help and interest, a great bunch, as always!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 12 October 13 12:22 BST (UK) »
Wow! just this moment found a reply, along the lines that:
" The returns for(Enumeration) District 1 would appear to be missing from RG9/4395. however they appear on Ancestry as the next 23 pages in RG9/3496 immeidately following the (enumeration ) district 12 summary page on folio 86. The enumeration district summary page for district 1 would appear to be missing and may have resulted in the returns for district 1 appearing in the wrong place..."
           - that seems a very satisfactorily swift response! I'm impressed.... er, now all I've got to do is to wriggle my way to it! Wish me luck.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 12 October 13 13:00 BST (UK) »
Excellent!  Well done TNA.

STG
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 12 October 13 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi

Unless you have Anns actual date of birth then keep in mind she could have been born in 1855. Most censuses were held early April. Ancestry have deducted the persons age from the census year but that gives most people the wrong birth year.

If you take 1881 for example, census night was 3rd April 1881, Ann is shown as 25 so, if age was accurate, she was born between 4th April 1855 and 3rd April 1856.

She married age 19 on the 28th Sept 1874. This puts date of birth between 29th Sept 1854 and 28th Sept 1855.

If both those events are accurate then you can work out she was born between 4th April 1855 and 28th Sept 1855.

If the age at marriage was correct she could not have been born in 1856.

Have you actually checked the 1855 birth in Derby or are you assuming its wrong because it was not 1856?

Andy

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 12 October 13 14:48 BST (UK) »
From family records we'd got her as 1856 born - perhaps she lopped a year off to tease us? Never done your actual maths calculations myself - lazy!! I'll have to go and have a look in the "Big File Of Information" to check it out. Could take some time...  I'll be back ... in time.
Your other records are right dates re. marriage &1881 census, so I do need to check. Thanks, Andy

Offline LFS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 17:08 GMT (UK) »
I went to Derby Local Studies in Irongate today - checked right through the St Alkmund 1861 Census from RG9/2495 to 2497 - with no success.  There were 3 Newbold families headed by Israel, William and Thomas, with a couple of stray teenagers, but no Ann Newbold of the right age.  Saying that, there is some damage - so there are people missing off the census because the paper has disintegrated - and nothing can be done about that.
I also checked Parish baptisms for St Alkmund's church - from 1854 to 1860 without success - in fact no Newbolds were baptised during that time.  It is of course possible that they were non-conformist - there were lots of chapels of all sorts of denominations in the area they could have gone to.  (or none at all).
Sorry I've not been of much help.
If I can do anything more, please let me know.
Derby Girl
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Winson (Dby), Stanley(Sts), Harrison(Dby to Rutland), Barker/Barber((Sts), Baston (Oxon), Wiltshire(Middx), Franklin (Herts/Beds)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much, Derby girl for taking the trouble to try and chase Ann N. It'd be just my fortune that they may have been on a damaged bit. It was a lot of time and effort for you to expend, and i appreciate it.
She may possibly have been non-conformist - a son later became quite a "Chapel character", so possibly there may have been others. Certainly they would probably have worshipped somewhere - it was that sort of family! And they were not RC, I do know that.
Again, thank you a great deal for your time and expertise. I think I'll just let her stew quietly on that big back burner we've all got relatives on, until I fit more bits of that jigsaw together.