Author Topic: Missing 1861 St Alkmund's Records?  (Read 11281 times)

Offline LFS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Missing 1861 St Alkmund's Records?
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Well, sorry I couldn't be more help.  But:
Is Ann the Ann Newbold born June Quarter 1855, 7b.365?
Is Ann her first name, or the name she uses?  I have found this causes horrible brick walls.  There is an Eliza of a suitable age.
Do you have the marriage certificate - if so, are the witnesses other Newbolds we could chase up through the censuses?
Derby Girl
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Winson (Dby), Stanley(Sts), Harrison(Dby to Rutland), Barker/Barber((Sts), Baston (Oxon), Wiltshire(Middx), Franklin (Herts/Beds)

Offline LFS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I forgot to say RG9/2494 turned out to be Spondon.  So no help there.
I can't understand why the Ann whose birth was registered in 1855 just disappears.  I can't find her death, either.  The only Ann that I can find easily with a William for a father was born in 1846.  So unless she lied about her age and was 10 years older I have run out of ideas. 
By the way, I'm sorry to have asked questions you have already covered.  Apologies. 
Regards
Derby Girl

Winson (Dby), Stanley(Sts), Harrison(Dby to Rutland), Barker/Barber((Sts), Baston (Oxon), Wiltshire(Middx), Franklin (Herts/Beds)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 29 October 13 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have you actually seen the birth certificate for Ann Newbold registered Derby Registration District June Qtr 1855 Vol 7b Page 365? also, what is your source for a birth being in St Alkmunds?

Andy

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 16:38 GMT (UK) »
I don't myself have a personal copy of that certificate, Andycand, but it does exist. However she steadily quoted "Derby" as a birthplace throughout her life, on censuses, any other forms, and according to family who knew her. I did at one time have an idea that she could originally have been an "Elizabeth Ann" for some family-related reason, although I've no idea why - but she called her second daughter that, and I may have been confused by that at the time. As I said, thanks for all the help - she's giving me a real headache, so I've decided to leave her stewing!!
Thanks for all your interest and help - I'll come back and have another look at her someday.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline LFS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 30 October 13 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Well, Thomas Newbold in the 1861 census, St Alkmund's, Derby, has an Eliza of the right age.  So that might be a possibility.  Father, Thomas, Mother Mary.  10 Brick Row, St Alkmund's.  However, Eliza is said to be born Castle Donington.
Derby Girl

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 31 October 13 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I'd come across him, as well as Israel and co. also I'd had a bit of a riff on a likely Eliza child in 1861c with grandparents - Bamford or Barford, I think, and worked out by comparison with 1851c that her mother would be Elizabeth - but after I'd traced ahead, eliminatedand come to my senses, I realised I was clutching for straws, and really must just accept she vanished behind that brick wall for a couple of decades. Thanks, but I'm really fed up of her at the moment, and intend to let her stew until I've a bit more of a clue about her. Something may turn up via others.... I'll give her another go in a few weeks. Grateful for your interest, LFS especially
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline LFS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 31 October 13 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Very happy to help ThrelfallYorky.
I've had one causing me trouble for something like 20 years.  With the 1911 Census I found he used his second Christian name, and on rediscovering lost cousins I now know he changed his surname too.  From what no-one's absolutely sure.  But I'll get there one day!!
Good hunting
Derby Girl

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 01 November 13 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Now at least I've not - as far as I know - got any ancestor quite so devious to try and pin down!
Good luck with your search - I'll post on here if I do get any further clue about "Our Ann"