Author Topic: Missing 1861 St Alkmund's Records?  (Read 11284 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing 1861 St Alkmund's Records?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 October 13 11:59 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping to get to Derby Records myself before too long, in the hope of at least turning up something about that Newbould family, but I'd not thought of Lichfield. Unfortunately I don't know anyone in the area, but I'll put that on the "When I'm in that area" list. Thanks for the idea.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline LFS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 October 13 15:14 BST (UK) »
If you put it on the Staffordshire board you might catch someone living locally.
Best wishes
Derby Girl
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Winson (Dby), Stanley(Sts), Harrison(Dby to Rutland), Barker/Barber((Sts), Baston (Oxon), Wiltshire(Middx), Franklin (Herts/Beds)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 07 October 13 15:22 BST (UK) »
Ah! I'd been tunnel-thinking as I'd got her born in Derby, and know that she ended up in coastal lancashire. Never ever thought of staffordshire, how illogical to keep records out of county. Suppose it's something linked with how dioceses change over time. thanks for the idea.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline LFS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 October 13 22:07 BST (UK) »
Yes, it's all to do with the Diocese - later on Derbyshire was in Southwell Diocese, just to complicate matters.
Regards
Derby Girl

Winson (Dby), Stanley(Sts), Harrison(Dby to Rutland), Barker/Barber((Sts), Baston (Oxon), Wiltshire(Middx), Franklin (Herts/Beds)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 October 13 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

The OP is referring to the St Alkmund Civil Parish in the 1861 census and not a church by that name so Bishops Transcripts won't be of help.

There is not necessarily a missing Enumeration District, ED1 could be in a different Civil Parish. I'm not familiar with the area to check nearby Civil Parishes but if you look at other Civil Parishes in the dropdown menu you will notice that ED numbers are all over the place, it is not the case that they commence at ED1 for all Civil Parishes.

Andy

Offline LFS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 12:04 BST (UK) »
Dear Andy and ThrelfallYorky
My apologies.  I have totally misunderstood the problem.  In fact I've also had problems with people just not cropping up in Censuses - sometimes whole households are missing - but I think sometimes when people were in service, say, their employers didn't feel inclined to include them on the Census.  The other problem is transcription errors - the only way I've dealt with that is to plough through the whole area and look for the lost family/person.  Possible on Ancestry - but not apparently on Find my Past.
Derby Girl

Offline LFS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 12:36 BST (UK) »
Just a thought - I take it you have her birth certificate which should give her parents - you might be able to get at the family this way if you haven't done this.  For instance you could search for her mother rather than her.
Derby Girl

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 15:39 BST (UK) »
Oh dear ... I always seem to end up trawling through whole districts on Anc*stry, page by page, hunting people who really seem to take efforts to hide.
I'm sorry, I hoped someone registered as born in St Alkmund's area of Derby may well spend at least one census there, but after I'd trawled all over - as I originally mentioned, I couldn't find a "District 1" - and with my luck, that'd be the one that I wanted! That was the question I'd asked originally: Did anyone know if that district record was in fact missing, was it an Anc*stry glitch, or what did experts think?

Offline LFS

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 08 October 13 19:06 BST (UK) »
It certainly sounds odd to me.  Of course they could have moved pretty quickly.  My Pa was born in Findern a few miles out of Derby, and stayed there for a whole two weeks! 
I've had a go myself on F ...m... t for your Ann and can't find a trace of her anywhere, so whatever the problem it doesn't seem to be restricted to A......y.  That's why myself I'd try and find someone else in the family - parents or siblings if I could.  It sometimes works.
Best wishes
Derby Girl