Author Topic: A Seattle Mystery  (Read 2889 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: A Seattle Mystery
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 September 13 08:54 BST (UK) »
1930 Delaware, Leavenworth, Kansas Census
National Military Home
Joseph R Cantwell, age 45, Single, born Kansas, father born Ireland, mother born New York, occupation: None

US National Homes for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers
Joseph R. Cantwell, enlisted December 11, 1914 Decatur, Illinois; discharged October 15, 1919
Enlisted October 16, 1919, Camp Lewis, Wash, discharged October 15, 1920, Camp Lewis, WA
Born Kansas, occupation: Laborer, residence Los Angeles, Calif, Single.  References his sister, who was living in Kansas City, Missouri
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline stephen lewis

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 September 13 11:11 BST (UK) »
1920 District 0286, Tacoma Ward 3 Census, image 8 of 20
1306 1/2 Pacific
Grace Cantwell, age 23, married, born United States as were parents, Servant, Hotel(?), could read and write
[/quote]

Thanks Lisa,  The question for me/us? is was Grace and Dolores Grace Cantwell the same as Dolores Grace Grisdale? 'Our' Dolores married Richard Edward Cantwell in Sept 1920, so is it pure coincidence that in the same year a Grace/Dolores Grace is living with Joseph R Cantwell in the same place?

Stephen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 September 13 02:14 BST (UK) »
I tried to "follow" Joseph Richard to see if he would eventually lead us to another record for Dolores/Grace.  So far, it hasn't.

To me, the marriage image looks like
Richard J(?) Cantwell
Dolores G. Grisdale
"Signed" by Richard Ed Cantwell and Dolores G. Grisdale

I didn't study every letter but the writing looks so similar that I would suggest that Richard and Dolores did not sign their names.  Perhaps the person filling out the paperwork wrote Richard Ed rather than Richard J.

It is not uncommon for people to use their middle names.  Is it possible that Richard Ed/J Cantwell informally went by Joseph R Cantwell and that this was in fact one person?   :-\
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 22 September 13 06:42 BST (UK) »
US National Homes for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers
Joseph R. Cantwell, enlisted December 11, 1914 Decatur, Illinois; discharged October 15, 1919
Enlisted October 16, 1919, Camp Lewis, Wash, discharged October 15, 1920, Camp Lewis, WA
Born Kansas, occupation: Laborer, residence Los Angeles, Calif, Single.  References his sister, who was living in Kansas City, Missouri

Additional information from the above image:
Age: 43.  Residence subsequent to discharge: Los Angeles, Calif.
"Home History": date of admission - Adm Pac. Sept 7, 1927.

Then there is a directory entry for a Dolores G Cantwell in San Diego in 1928, but that might not be her although she was a ‘waiter’ which might fit with ‘servant in a hotel’.

Perhaps it was the same Dolores who lived in Tacoma in 1920/21?  The thing that doesn't match is the reference to Grace Cantwell who was shown as nurse in 1920.  Or, perhaps she had to change occupations for some reason?

Offline stephen lewis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 22 September 13 18:15 BST (UK) »

Perhaps it was the same Dolores who lived in Tacoma in 1920/21?  The thing that doesn't match is the reference to Grace Cantwell who was shown as nurse in 1920.  Or, perhaps she had to change occupations for some reason?
[/quote]

Well she might have been a 'nurse' for a wounded/ill Joseph and worked in a hotel as well. The two residences are very close. But what really doesn't make sense is that Joseph R Cantwell was single till his death in 1933 AND Grace Grisdale married a Richard Edward Cantwell not a Joseph R (that I can find).

Maybe we can find another later marriage for Grace? Or a death? (I can't on Ancestry). San Diego seems the place to look I think.

Thx Lisa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 22 September 13 19:05 BST (UK) »
The certificate of marriage image that I am looking at shows:
Richard J. Cantwell.  My suggestion is that he could have been
Joseph R. Cantwell.
(choosing to swap his first and middle names at some point).

Perhaps at some point they divorced and he considered himself single?

I was helping a friend with his ancestors (who also lived in Washington) and on the 1920 census one spouse declared that she was divorced and the other spouse declared his was widowed.  (They were divorced.)

While the people mentioned in your post may not be the correct men, I don't think they should be ruled out at this point.

Offline stephen lewis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 22 September 13 20:17 BST (UK) »
The certificate of marriage image that I am looking at shows:
Richard J. Cantwell.  My suggestion is that he could have been
Joseph R. Cantwell.
(choosing to swap his first and middle names at some point).

Perhaps at some point they divorced and he considered himself single?

I was helping a friend with his ancestors (who also lived in Washington) and on the 1920 census one spouse declared that she was divorced and the other spouse declared his was widowed.  (They were divorced.)

While the people mentioned in your post may not be the correct men, I don't think they should be ruled out at this point.

Indeed so but if you look at Richard Cantwell's signature it clearly says Richard Ed(ward) Cantwell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 22 September 13 20:33 BST (UK) »
Richard J(?) Cantwell
Dolores G. Grisdale

I didn't study every letter but the writing looks so similar that I would suggest that Richard and Dolores did not sign their names.  Perhaps the person filling out the paperwork wrote Richard Ed rather than Richard J.

It is not uncommon for people to use their middle names.  Is it possible that Richard Ed/J Cantwell informally went by Joseph R Cantwell and that this was in fact one person?   :-\

The above was a suggestion.  If he did actually sign his name, Ed might also be short for Edwin.

It has been very interesting trying to find answers, but at this point, perhaps someone else might have more success.  I wish you the very best with your research.  Lisa

Offline stephen lewis

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 22 September 13 20:45 BST (UK) »
Richard J(?) Cantwell
Dolores G. Grisdale

The above was a suggestion.  If he did actually sign his name, Ed might also be short for Edwin.

It has been very interesting trying to find answers, but at this point, perhaps someone else might have more success.  I wish you the very best with your research.  Lisa

Thanks for trying I'll leave it too for now. For anyone later their marriage was in Sept 1920 after two entries one for Grace Cantwell and the other for Joseph R Cantwell and Grace?

Thanks again