Author Topic: Normanhurst, Queens Park, Oswestry  (Read 3122 times)

Offline Miranda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Normanhurst, Queens Park, Oswestry
« on: Saturday 21 September 13 14:15 BST (UK) »
Hi all
I am trying to find some pictures, circa 1900 or a bit before, of a property called Normanhurst (if it still exists), on the 1901 census it states it is in Queens Park (although I have found an address in Kellys Directory 1895 of Queens Rd), Oswestry.  I have googled mapped the area and it looks rather nice! But I cannot find any reference to the house.  My great grandma lived there with her husband who was an ironmonger.  He died in 1900 but she continued his business for a time.
His name was Edwin Moore Gardner, she was Elizabeth.  If you have any other info on their life in Oswestry it would be amazing.  I am abroad, so cannot come over at the moment, but hoping to visit within the next year.

;D
Knight-Barnard & Barnard (Gloucestershire, Stroud, Rodborough Common)
Mitten or Mitton (Guildford, Shropshire) 
Rose, Jacobs,  Guttentag, (mainly London)
Giles (Cricklade, Cinderford, Merthyr Tydfil, Troedhyriw),
Mills, (Wales & Gloucestershire)
Hughes - (Wales)
Klussman/Klusmann

Offline jamesdon99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Normanhurst, Queens Park, Oswestry
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 January 14 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Miranda

Hope you might find these interesting. I looked them up on the film copies of The Advertizer held at Oswestry Library. I know where Normanhurst is so will see what I can do about a view of the house. You might also like to look at this site as it will give you an idea of Queens Park in 1900 when the Queens Park school was first opened there.

www.oswestrygenealogy.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Queens-Park-School-Oswestry-issue2.pdf

Obituary in The Border Counties Advertizer 11 Jul 1900 Page 8 column 4
Mr E M Gardner of Oswestry
We regret to announce the death that took place on Monday at the comparatively early age of 36 of Mr Edwin Moore Gardner of Normanhurst, Queens Park, Oswestry. Mr Gardner was taken ill exactly 3 weeks to the day of his death with influenza which developed into pneumonia. Inflammation of the kidneys supervened, and so serious became Mr Gardner’s condition that Dr. Dobie of Chester was called in to consult with DR. O’Connor his medical adviser, but despite all that patient nursing and medical skill could do, the condition of the patient became more serious and death resulted at 5 o’clock Monday to the great grief of his many friends and acquaintances.
Mr Gardner who was a native of Worcester and early in life was apprenticed to Messrs. Alltree and Lea, Ironmonger, Shrewsbury, came to Oswestry some 13 years ago from Wrexham and entered in to partnership with the late Mr Edward Shaw, Ironmonger and a few years later took over the business.
A regular communicant of St. Oswalds, 4 years ago was elected peoples warden, the Vicar, Norman Ogilvy, choosing him as his warden a year later.
An enthusiastic cricketer and a lover of the ancient game of bowls.
Member of Fitzalan Lodge of Freemasons joining in 1889. In 1896 he was unanimously elected Worshipful Master. Sir Offley Wakeman, Bart, RWPGM, afterwards conferred Provincial Grand Lodge honours on him.
Mr Gardner married in 1888 Miss Mitton of Shrewsbury.
A public funeral will take place on Thursday pm at the general cemetery.
Members of Fitzalan Lodge assemble at 3.15 at Normanhurst and all masons from the province are invited to join the procession to the church. Friends not taking part in the procession meet at the church at 3.45pm
Marriage Announcement in The Border Counties Advertizer 12 August 1903 Page 5 column 8
August 6th 1903 at All Saints Church, Cheltenham by the Rev G L H Gardner MA
Thomas Knight Barnard of Park House, Stroud
Elizabeth Moore Gardner, Normanhurst, Oswestry
At Home Tuesday September 1st

Offline Miranda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Normanhurst, Queens Park, Oswestry
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 May 14 12:54 BST (UK) »
Jamesdon99  Thank you so much for this.  I am sorry I haven't got back to you sooner, I have been rather pre-occupied with other matters.  This is wonderful to have and thanks for it.  I read the pdf doc about Queens Park School, amazing.  It is great to have the information about Edwin also, although he isn't a blood relative, he was still part of my Great Grandmother's life and of course in family history that is important.
thank you again.
 :D
Knight-Barnard & Barnard (Gloucestershire, Stroud, Rodborough Common)
Mitten or Mitton (Guildford, Shropshire) 
Rose, Jacobs,  Guttentag, (mainly London)
Giles (Cricklade, Cinderford, Merthyr Tydfil, Troedhyriw),
Mills, (Wales & Gloucestershire)
Hughes - (Wales)
Klussman/Klusmann