Author Topic: George Henry Hunt a real PUZZLE  (Read 15097 times)

Offline stubblehill

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Henry Hunt a real PUZZLE
« on: Saturday 21 September 13 20:50 BST (UK) »
I am following the line of Hunts from Violet Hunt born 1887. Her father is George Henry Hunt a coal miner. On the first census that I can easily follow is 1881, all fit into place after that. It states GHH born Belper Derbyshire 1859. He marries Martha Attenbourough in 1876 aged 17. The obvious GHH to go back with is one that every researcher has on ancestry with his father being a Joseph Hunt and his mother being an Ellen Blood. BUT  Joseph Hunt dies in 1862 and his mother remarries in 1867 a Luke Burgoyne and this is where nothing fits. I have GHH in 1881 in Wessington Derbyshire with his wife Martha and two children. But his "mother" Ellen Burgoyne as she now is has him living with her and her new husband, he is down as son-in-law whereas it should state step son.
and again he is with her in 1891 when she is living back with her father a Joseph Blood with her husband Luke living elsewhere.
So here in lies the puzzle Ellen Blood cannot be his mother.

I sent for the only birth certificate that seemed to fit and of course it is the one with Joseph and Ellen Blood. Now I am stumped, can any one help me solve this puzzle before I send for his marriage certificate as I feel that this is the only answer.

In hope

Stubbs

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Henry Hunt a real PUZZLE
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 September 13 21:13 BST (UK) »
. . . . he is down as son-in-law whereas it should state step son.
and again he is with her in 1891 when she is living back with her father a Joseph Blood with her husband Luke living elsewhere.

The term "son-in-law" was often used to refer to stepsons! ;D

From http://www.census-helper.co.uk/census-confusions/:

In-Law

In the censuses the term 'in-law' meant 'related by marriage' as it does today, however the key difference is that in the 19th century it was applied to children which is not the case now. A son whose mother re-marries would today be called a 'step-son', however he may be recorded on the census as 'son-in-law'.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 September 13 00:07 BST (UK) »
before I send for his marriage certificate as I feel that this is the only answer.

Save your money - the marriage is on FS and no father shown

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NV71-Q69
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 22 September 13 00:16 BST (UK) »
The 1861 entry for GHH shows him as 1yr old b Ripley and in 1871 he is 11yrs old b Ripley living with stepfather Luke Burgins (Burgoyne) and mother Ellen nee Hunt nee Blood.  He is again shown as son in law
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline stubblehill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 22 September 13 20:31 BST (UK) »
 ???
Thank you, at least I now know the difference between son-in-law and step son for those times.

But Carole what a blow about the marriage certificate not having a father on it. If his father was dead it surely would give the fathers name and deceased by it as I have on other certificates I have received. I know he is not the one born in Ripley to Joseph and Ellen because as I said he cannot be in two places in 1881, with his wife at one address and with his mother as unmarried at another. If only I could find his birth. It is looking more like his mother was not married perhaps. Oh what a puzzle.

Thank you for your input.

Stubbs

Online spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 22 September 13 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,

You do not give the Registration district or Ref. numbers for the certificate you purchased for
GHH, but someone born in Ripley would come under the Belper Registration District.

In the 1881 Census there is a William Tott living with GHH, when all else fails it is always a
good idea to took at lodgers/boarders etc., just to see who they are.

In this instance it takes us to 1871 a Henry Hunt Born 1859 Crich:-
Wessington, Derbyshire
 RG10; Piece: 3608; Folio: 53; Page: 16;

William Fox   36   Head    Collier     Crich
Mary Fox   34   Wife                   Great Chissel, Essex
William Tott   36  Boarder Coll. Lab.  "        "         "
Henry Hunt   12   Nephew              Crich

William Fox = Mary Tott   Belper March Q 1864
The marriage took place at Duffield, Derbyshire 23rd January 1864
William Fox aged  30 Father  John Fox
Mary Tott aged 28 Father Jacob Tott
However in the 1861 Census
Wessington Derbyshire
RG 9; Piece: 2526; Folio: 101; Page: 4

William Fox   27   Head    u/married   Ironstone Minor    Crich
Mary Millon   25   Serv     Married       House Servant     Great Chissel Essex

Looking for a William Fox Born abt 1834 Crich with Father John produces
1841 Census
HO107; Piece: 196; Book: 18 South Wingfield, Derbyshire

John Fox               35
Fanny Fox   35
Mira Fox    20
Sarah Fox   13
John Fox                10
William Fox   7
Fanny Fox   5
Joseph Fox   1
Emma Fox   1

Which of the daughters married a Hunt?

Complicated and there are quite a few other possible births, however think that the Tott connection
is important.
Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 September 13 23:40 BST (UK) »
I know he is not the one born in Ripley to Joseph and Ellen because as I said he cannot be in two places in 1881, with his wife at one address and with his mother as unmarried at another.

Sorry! ;D  It happens all the time!
The forms left at the home address were filled in with the "usual" family, and then maybe he stayed over at his mother's on census night and was enumerated there also?! ::)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline stubblehill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 September 13 23:51 BST (UK) »
If that is the case he is also in two places in 1891 with his wife and also living with his mother at his grandfathers while his step father is in a workhouse. Both the 81 and 91 state condition as to marriage as single.

I have also been following the William Tott line, mother Ruth  sister Mary and Mary Tott marrying a William Fox. William does have a sister Emma. A Henry Hunt born 1859 Belper appears on the 1861 census aged 2 as a son-in-law to a Jessie Cotterill with a wife Emma, trying to work this one out.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 23 September 13 00:56 BST (UK) »
I note that although George Henry Hunt gives Belper as birthplace 81/91, in 1901 he states Crich which ties in with the one linked to William Tott.   In 1871 listed as just Henry.

There is only one George Henry Hunt birth registered at the appropriate time which when certificate was sent for is the one who's the son of Joseph Hunt and Ellen Blood.

So either GHH's birth wasn't registered or it was as plain Henry (as he was in 1871).   I too have looked at Jesse Cotterill/Emma 1861 listing.   They married 19/9/1858 Crich and Emma was Emma Hunt.   Marriage is on familysearch and she too appears to have been illegitimate as, like GHH when he married, no father is listed for her.    Henry is not with Jesse and Emma in 1871!

Emma Hunt is shown as bc.1840 Marwood Moor/Morewood Moor which I believe is actually Moorwood Moor, nr. Alfreton.

In 1851 (ref.HO107-2127-131-28) Emma Hunt is shown as an 11yr old servant - glove seamer - working in Basford, Nottinghamshire (her birthplace transcribed as Marieal Moon (??).   I cannot find an obvious entry for her in 1841.

Question is - is Henry Hunt, son of Emma Hunt the same person as Henry with William Tott in 1871?   If so, what is the connection?   

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.