Author Topic: My gg grandfather Charles Hamilton, from England to Constantinople and Crimea  (Read 624 times)

Offline robdang64

• RootsChat Extra
  • People really die when they're definetly forgotten
    • View Profile
Hi there,
hope you can help.

My gg gf Charles Hamilton from Shoreham, married Consolata Caruana (from Malta  ??) in 1860 about, probably in Constantinople, where my g gm Elizabeth Hamilton was born 1863.
I'd like to get info about the marriage between Charles and Consolata.

But also about Consolata, I do not know much, so any info is greatly welcome.

Offline Fide et Fortitudine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My gg grandfather Charles Hamilton, from England to Constantinople and Crimea
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 November 23 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Rob Dang

I'm not sure if this this is the same Hamilton family, but I have a Constantinople-Hamilton connection too. 

My ancestor, Ariston Vincent CASTELLI, born 9 Apr 1830 in Constantinople, married Charlotte 'Lotti' HAMILTON (1852-1940) in Camberwell, London in 1874.  Even though they married in England, they lived in Constantinople as a married couple because all 3 of their children were born & baptised there.  Castelli died in Constantinople and was buried there in 1906. 

Lotti was born in Liverpool, 1852, daughter of Henry HAMILTON (d. before Jan 1881) and Eliza (b. circa 1830).  The death of Henry was recorded with the Italian Consulate of Constantinople because his son-in-law Castelli was an Italian citizen of Constantinople. 

Inscrite le 29.1.1881 au Consulat d’Italie de Constantinople - D 359
Carlotta fu Enrico Hamilton nata a Londra nel 1852

It could be a coincidence, but how many Hamiltons were there in Constantinople in the 1860s?  It's very possible your gg gf Charles Hamilton of Shoreham and Lotti's father, Henry Hamilton of Liverpool were related, or at least knew each other.  All the Europeans in 19th Century Constantinople moved in the same social circles and lived in the same neighbourhood called Pera across the Golden Horn strait, where all the Christian churches were.  'Pera' means 'Over There' in Greek. That quarter later became known as Galata, now called Beyoğlu.   

There's a good chance your gg gf Charles married Consolata Caruana in one of the churches in Pera.    If Consolata was Maltese, she was most probably Catholic. 

I'll have to look into it a bit further. 

Sources:  https://gw.geneanet.org/marmara2?lang=en&pz=mathilde&nz=d+andria&p=ariston+vincent&n=castelli

Fide et Fortitudine - By fidelity and fortitude
"I force nae freen" - I force no friend and fear no foe

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: My gg grandfather Charles Hamilton, from England to Constantinople and Crimea
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 November 23 11:43 GMT (UK) »
I think I have the answer to your question. 

Consolata (Caruana) Hamilton (1841 - 1913)
Born 1841 in Malta
Daughter of Rosario Caruana and Elisabetta (Caravari) Caruana
Sister of Riccardo Caruana
Wife of Charles Hamilton — married 2 Jan 1860 in St Peter and Paul Church, Galata, Constantinople
Mother of Elizabeth (Hamilton) D'Angelo
Died 1913 at about age 72 in Palermo, Italy

Profile manager: Roberto D'Angelo
Profile last modified 22 Oct 2023 | Created 14 Oct 2013

I found that information on WikiTree today.  It was just a simple google search.
https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Caruana-23

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 November 23 12:05 GMT (UK) »
and ...

Charles Hamilton (1833 - 1868)
Born 1833 in New Shoreham, Sussex, England
Son of George Hamilton and Elizabeth (Lepard) Hamilton
Brother of Henry Hamilton, Edwin Nelson Hamilton, Mary Hamilton, Ann Hamilton, George Hamilton, Ann Hamilton [half], Elizabeth Hamilton, Eleanor Brown Hamilton and Eleanor Hamilton [half]
Husband of Consolata (Caruana) Hamilton — married 2 Jan 1860 in St Peter and Paul Church, Galata, Constantinople
Father of Elizabeth (Hamilton) D'Angelo
Died 23 Nov 1868 at about age 35 in Alexandria, Egypt

Profile managers: Roberto D'Angelo and Darren Wiltshire
Profile last modified 24 Oct 2023 | Created 19 Apr 2013

Henry Hamilton (1816)
Born 29 Jan 1816 in New Shoreham, Sussex, England
Son of George Hamilton and Elizabeth (Lepard) Hamilton
Brother of Edwin Nelson Hamilton, Mary Hamilton, Ann Hamilton, George Hamilton, Ann Hamilton [half], Elizabeth Hamilton, Eleanor Brown Hamilton, Eleanor Hamilton [half] and Charles Hamilton
[spouse(s) unknown]
[children unknown]
Died [date unknown] [location unknown]

So it's possible that this Henry is the father of my Charlotte Lotti Hamilton, who married Castelli of Constantinople, i.e. that makes your Charles and my Henry brothers. 

I assumed my Henry was from Liverpool because his daughter Charlotte was born there, but that might have been a false assumption.  No reason why he couldn't have moved to Liverpool from Shoreham for business, or met a Liverpudlian girl, before going to Constantinople. 

As I said, how many Hamiltons could there have been in Constantinople in the 1850s and '60s? 

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 November 23 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Oh..... the penny drops.  'Rob Dang' is Robert D'Angelo!  So you worked it all out before me.   ;D

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 November 23 13:10 GMT (UK) »
I think I can safely rule out my Henry Hamilton now.  Mine was born in Scotland, not Shoreham.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:2:3FX7-QXD 

So, no immediate connection with your gg gf.