Author Topic: Naturalization  (Read 3883 times)

Offline Pabloabadul

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Naturalization
« on: Monday 23 September 13 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hi
How long would a naturalization take for someone in the 1860/70 period. Someone called Heinrich Müller born in Prussia in 1853, he was in England by 1879 when he got married and was put down on the census as a British subject. How long would you have had to have been in the country to be naturalized as I have found a naturalization record for 1864 Heinrich Müller born Prussia I don`t know whether this would be the right record considering the records only go up to 1871 there is an eight year gap between the marriage?
any help much appreciated
thanks
c.b

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Naturalization
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 September 13 21:46 BST (UK) »
Perhaps someone will be able to confirm this but I think it's unlikely an 11 year old would be listed in a record of naturalisation unless in the file/documentation of his father.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Pabloabadul

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 September 13 21:58 BST (UK) »
how would I get a record of naturaliz for the 1870`s or 80`s

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 September 13 22:03 BST (UK) »
You can download that one by following this link (cost £3.36)

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C7313655

If you go to nationalarchives.gov.uk and search on naturalisation it will tell you what records they have, what periods you can search for and what periods you have to ask them to search for
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 September 13 02:54 BST (UK) »
Being listed as a British subject on a census is not proof that he naturalised. Recording of naturalisation status in censuses is known to be often inaccurate and there are any number of census records that turn up for people's relatives claiming "British Subject" for whom no trace of any naturalisation can be found.  This is particularly the case for people in the 1800s from humbler backgrounds - there was little benefit for them to naturalise, it cost money and required a significant amount of paperwork.

This doesn't mean he lied - it's just that the enumerators certainly weren't checking paperwork and may have made mistakes, people might have misunderstood the question, etc.

If he did naturalise, it should be indexed on the catalogue (could be under Henry/Harry etc. if he went by either of those).  The 1864 is almost certainly unrelated unless his father was also Heinrich and he was the one who went through naturalisation.   I believe the residence requirement was 5 years.

Was he on multiple censuses as British Subject? (and was he ever listed as naturalised British Subject?).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pabloabadul

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 September 13 07:50 BST (UK) »
on the 1911 census it says naturalized British subject and has a red number on the right side of this 928 and 130 underneath does this mean anything? In 1901 it says British subject and in 1891 it doesn`t say anything about being naturalized or being a British subject
His father was called john/johannes muller don`t know whether he came to england

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 September 13 07:59 BST (UK) »
You can download that one by following this link (cost £3.36)

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C7313655

If you go to nationalarchives.gov.uk and search on naturalisation it will tell you what records they have, what periods you can search for and what periods you have to ask them to search for
Hi, for 3.36 I think you only option is to send for this record, then it can be discounted if it is not him
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich

Offline Pabloabadul

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 September 13 08:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks margp
At that age would his father be with him because I am trying to find a naturalization for his father john/Johannes muller and a record from 1862 came up of a Johann Frederic Müller possible. what do you think would they be naturalized at the same time?

Offline MargP

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Three generations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 September 13 08:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks margp
At that age would his father be with him because I am trying to find a naturalization for his father john/Johannes muller and a record from 1862 came up of a Johann Frederic Müller possible. what do you think would they be naturalized at the same time?
Hi, so you have one for the Johann in 1862 and one for Heinrich in 1864, I am not sure what are on these records, I should imagine there would be, dob and where they lived, but  the only way you will know, is to send for both records
Family History is a Pandora's box if you don't like what you see find a new hobby,only concentrate on the proven facts and not the facts you think you know.
Jenkins, Radnorshire. Herefordshire, Canada
Coley Dudley.
Baston, Cleobury Mortimer.Wolverhampton
Parker Stafford.
Hammond/s Wolverhampton.Shropshire
Duckworth Cheshire.
Proud Walsall.Proud Cape South Africa
Horton Darlaston.
Stanton Walsall.
Tudor. Radnorshire
Pittaway. Droitwich