Author Topic: Incorporation of Tailors of Glasgow  (Read 3171 times)

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Incorporation of Tailors of Glasgow
« on: Tuesday 24 September 13 15:02 BST (UK) »
In an earlier post, Rootschatters helped me identify the trade of Patrick Burnside as that of Taylor (sic).  Since then I have acquired the 1775 testament testamentary and inventory of Elizabeth Hogg, Patrick's second wife.  It names one of her executors as John Gardner, 'late Deacon of the Taylors of Glasgow'.  Further research highlighted the Incorporation of Tailors of Glasgow which still exists to this day, so it looks like Patrick played some part in the organisation during the eighteenth Century.

I wrote to them but have had no reply so I have turned once more to the Rootschatters.  Does anyone know of any records which might give me a better understanding of the Tailors of Glasgow?  A list of past members would be invaluable.  Perhaps a history has been written.  I would be grateful for any help with this.

Kind regards,  Jack
BLYTH of Wemyss, Markinch, Dysart, Kirkcaldy
Also MACKIE, SIMPSON, CARSTAIRS, CHRISTIE, LEITCH, DUNCAN, PENMAN, LAMBERT, BEVERIDGE, GIBSON, RENWICK

NEWBY of Sweffling, Benhall, Peasenhall area of Suffolk

Offline RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: Incorporation of Tailors of Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 September 13 21:44 BST (UK) »
You have said that you wrote to the Tailors Group ... Was this through Trades House
www.tradeshouse.org.uk

Their contact page has a telephone number to contact and they should be able to at least point you in the right direction

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 September 13 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Falkyrn,

Yes, that site invites contact and I used the details given to write to the Secretary.  Unfortunately, still no reply.

Jack
Also MACKIE, SIMPSON, CARSTAIRS, CHRISTIE, LEITCH, DUNCAN, PENMAN, LAMBERT, BEVERIDGE, GIBSON, RENWICK

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 September 13 10:21 BST (UK) »
Jack, a John Gardner was deacon of the Tailors in 1748, according to the "Records of the Trades House". The Tailors were one of the largest guilds and, like the rest, they had their histories published separately. The Mitchell Library will certainly have this book (might it be online?). It will be something like "A History of the Incorporation of Tailors of Glasgow".

Skoosh.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 September 13 10:45 BST (UK) »
Jack,  just checked this tome again, poorly indexed unfortunately. The Tailors had six representatives in the Trades House where they ranked second after the Hammermen. John Gardner appears several times and Patrick Burnside is the deacon in 1741 and one of the six rep's in 1742. This volume only lists the various trades rep's each year
 The trade histories were published around 1890-1900, a search of Scottish antiquarian bookshops might come up with the goods.
Voltaire & Rousseau, Cooper Hay, Caledonia Books, Thistle Books etc', all Glasgow.

Skoosh.

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 September 13 14:58 BST (UK) »
Skoosh,  that's brilliant!  Thank you so much for giving me these leads.  I've managed to download a PDF of the book from the University of Michigan - all six hundred and odd pages - and I'm sure that will give me all that I need because it has an extensive historical introduction. 
Thanks again,
Jack

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 September 13 19:04 BST (UK) »
Cheers Jack, obviously prominent tradesmen in the city and at work when the Jacobite army entered Glasgow and imposed heavy exactions, demanding thousands of coats, shoes & cash, under the threat of firing the city. They must have been working overtime.  ;D

Bests,

Skoosh.

Offline CBryce

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is an excellent site called the Trades House Virtual Museum www.tradeshousemuseum.org where you can access the digital library for free and the names of the Deacons (with lots of images from about 1840s onwards)

When you go to this site, hover over the home page and then move down to the Incorporations H to W, another sub menu appears, so move over to Deacons and then click on it.

The digital library is marked on the top page.

Strangely the Incorporation of Tailors and all of the other 14 Inctorporated Trades still exist and anyone interested can apply to join.   For details go to the [Contact Us page and leave a message.

Craig R Bryce.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 June 16 21:39 BST (UK) »
 Craig, applicants to join one of the trades will first have to be in posession of a Burgess' Ticket.   This can be purchased at one of the City Council's John Street offices, used to be at the taxi licensing.

Skoosh.