Author Topic: 1861 census 0nline  (Read 1558 times)

Offline jana

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1861 census 0nline
« on: Wednesday 15 June 05 21:48 BST (UK) »
Has anyone any comments about the standard of the online transcriptions of 1861 which have recently been released?
I've found many obvious omissions. Is this the result of a patchy record, destroyed pages, poor enumerators or bad transcriptions? Or all of these?
Would like to hear opinions
jana
Carter, Renison:Lincolnshire
Neal(e): Smethwick
Neale: Coventry and Kettering
Whincup: West Riding Yorks
Ainscough, Ormerod, Wilcock: Lancashire
Ormerod: West Riding Yorks

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 census 0nline
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 July 05 06:04 BST (UK) »
I have been using the 1837online 1861 census to search for ROBERT & MATILDA STABLES but have been unable to find them. I did, by accident, find that there are some names which do no have a surname but just ...

Using these ... as being the last name it would appear that there are over 9000 entries.  So if anyone is having trouble finding ancestors try the advance search and put in as much as you know but for  last name just put down ... you may strick lucky.

I still haven't found my STABLES couple but I do know that in 1841 they were married in Eccles Manchest and in 1881 they were living in Stafford Road, Wolverhampton Robert was working for the railway as an Locomotive fitter.

Will carry on searching using different names. Did find STABLES listed as STUBBS on one site which when you look at the copy of the marriage certificate could be taken as STUBBS at first glance.

Jean
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline pn

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 July 05 06:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean, found these on 1861

1861 census RG9/1992 folio 16 page28
16 Elliotts ? Road

James Stubbs abt 1857  Hulme, Lancashire, England Son  Wolverhampton  Staffordshire 

Jane Ann Stubbs abt 1846  Hulme, Lancashire, England Daughter  Wolverhampton  Staffordshire   

John R Stubbs abt 1843  Manchester, Lancashire, England Son  Wolverhampton  Staffordshire   

Joseph Stubbs abt 1860  Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, England Son  Wolverhampton  Staffordshire

Margret Stubbs abt 1851  Hulme, Lancashire, England Daughter  Wolverhampton  Staffordshire   

Matilda Stubbs abt 1823  Pendelton, Lancashire, England Wife  Wolverhampton  Staffordshire   

Robert Stubbs abt 1821  Bolton, Lancashire, England Head  Wolverhampton  Staffordshire   

Robert Stubbs abt 1848  Hulme, Lancashire, England Son  Wolverhampton  Staffordshire   

William S Stubbs abt 1853  Hulme, Lancashire, England Son  Wolverhampton  Staffordshire   

On 1871 census looks like these two are the same family.
1871 RG10/2936 Folio 151 page 44
Stafford Road

Charles Stables abt 1864  Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, England Son  Wolverhampton  Staffordshire   

James Stables abt 1857  Hulme, Lancashire, England Son  Wolverhampton  Staffordshire 

Joseph Stables abt 1860  Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, England Son  Wolverhampton  Staffordshire   

Matilda Stables abt 1823  Pendleton, Lancashire, England Wife  Wolverhampton  Staffordshire   

Robert Stables abt 1821  Bolton, Lancashire, England Head  Wolverhampton  Staffordshire   Engineer fitter

Wm Stackhouse Stables abt 1852  Greenhays, Lancashire, England Son  Wolverhampton  Staffordshire   

Hope this helps - send pm with your email if you would like copies.
Regards
Pauline
Lancashire, Cheshire,Westmoreland,Ireland,Cumberland,Cornwall
Middlesex
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 July 05 07:20 BST (UK) »
Wow is all I can say Pauline.  :)

You have made my day. I spent all last weekend trying to find this family.  No wonder I couldn't find them using the address mode. They are certainly the maternal g.g. grand ancestors.

Would love to have copies but how do I pm?

Just as an added bit of interest I have the death certificates for both Robert and Matilda and poor old Matilda died in Stafford Lunatic Asylum of senile dementia. Cried when I got that certificate.

Once again many many thanks for puching a huge hole through that brickwall

Regard
Jean

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 July 05 08:42 BST (UK) »
Further to my postings.

With grateful thanks to Pauline I now have copies of the census pages.

Using the info on the census page I went back to 1837online.com and finally found my STABLES family but under the names of STABBS. Even using the places born have been listed wrong.

They have Baston Denbighsire instead of Bolton Lancashire and for the children who were born in Hulme which is Manchester they have Horam. No idea where that place is.

They did have one place right but as they couldn't read the christian name (Joseph) put down Stabbs ... Daughter

No wonder I couldn't find them and without Paulines help I doubt I would ever have found them.

So in answer to Jana I would say that because the writing was feint and hard to read, transcribers have written as they think names and places read. Not that I am saying that all the lovely people who transcribe are not doing their jobs properly I just think they are on a hiding to nothing with enumerators atrocious handwriting and spelling. All praise to them, don't think I could ever do it.

Jean