Author Topic: Burial Plot Records - St Pauls Birmingham  (Read 8742 times)

Online fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burial Plot Records - St Pauls Birmingham
« on: Friday 27 September 13 00:36 BST (UK) »
I have recently found (from Birmingham Church Records on Ancestry) that my GG Grandfather was buried at St Pauls, Birmingham in April 1839.

Having  contacted St Pauls to enquire if they hold burial plot information they informed me of the following: As far as I am aware there is not a register with details of plots, but it would be worth checking with the library in case.

The churchyard was closed for burials around 1870 and in 1890 the City Corporation took it over as a recreational space. In the 1970's the area was cleared of all remaining gravestones and before they were destroyed the readable ones were recorded

I have contacted Birmingham Library by e mail to enquire but whilst I am awaiting a reply wondered if anyone knew if these records still existed and where they are located.

Fay
Family name Preston (of Birmingham)
Husselbe (Shropshire), Harper (Claverley, Stoke, Warwick, Birmingham) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham) Pitt (Birmingham) Francis (Shropshire) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham). Taylor (Birmingham).  Mellon(Mallon), Convery, Atchison (Gateshead & Ireland).

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: Burial Plot Records - St Pauls Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 September 13 07:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Fay,
The PRs indicate that a William HIGGINS was buried at St Paul, Birmingham on 6th May 1839, aged 70.
Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Online fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 September 13 09:02 BST (UK) »

Thank you Victor Henry but I think there is some confusion as regards what I am actually looking for.

I have already found the entry in the Birmingham Parish Registers for the burial of my GG Grandfather - John Preston who was 28/29 years old when he died.

I am actually looking for records/information relating to his "burial plot" - in other words where exactly in St Pauls he was laid to rest, and/or who arranged/paid for his burial.

St Pauls have said they do not know of any register with details of burial plots, but in past experience I know that some Churches keep registers.

Fay
Husselbe (Shropshire), Harper (Claverley, Stoke, Warwick, Birmingham) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham) Pitt (Birmingham) Francis (Shropshire) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham). Taylor (Birmingham).  Mellon(Mallon), Convery, Atchison (Gateshead & Ireland).

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 September 13 11:21 BST (UK) »
Good morning
The inscriptions from the gravestones are recorded in 7 books available at Birmingham Library
MS 943/16/1-7 .There are around 1700 grave stones recorded.Not sure about a map and register of grave plots,if the church says they haven't got it and it no longer exists I'd have to believe them.
Ciderdrinker

Online fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 September 13 11:32 BST (UK) »

Thank you Ciderdrinker for that information.

St Pauls advised that I contact Birmingham Library to see if they have the registers.

I have already contacted Birmingham Library who advised that I arrange an appointment in the Archives Department to check for any records, but that seems pointless if the burial plot records aren't there.

I have also contacted the Archives Dept to ask if they hold "burial plot" records for St Pauls but am still awaiting a reply.

Fay

Offline paul.g

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 December 13 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fay,

Did you ever get a response from Birmingham Library regarding the gravestone inscriptions? I recently discovered that my GGG grandfather was buried at St Paul's in 1860 and would love to know if a transcription survived.

Thanks,

Paul

Online fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 December 13 22:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul

Yes I had a reply from Birmingham Library about a month later, suggesting I contact St Paul's directly.
I replied back that I had contacted St Paul's in the first instant who had suggested I contact Birmingham Library.

Not heard anything since.

I am not happy, in fact I find this very upsetting. What has happened to the burial plot records. Surely there must be a record of them somewhere.

Have they conveniently disappeared because the burial area was turned into a recreational area by Birmingham City Council.

I did contact St Paul's again to ask if burial plots in 1837 were bought outright or leased for a period of years but never heard back from them.

Fay

Offline paul.g

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 December 13 22:38 GMT (UK) »
How frustrating! I imagine the person responding hadn't really gone to too much trouble to look into your enquiry. I'll do some digging for information myself and let you know if anything turns up.

Paul

Online fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 December 13 23:12 GMT (UK) »
That would be great Paul. I'm at a loss who to contact next.

Good luck.

Fay