Author Topic: Burial Plot Records - St Pauls Birmingham  (Read 8741 times)

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burial Plot Records - St Pauls Birmingham
« Reply #18 on: Monday 02 December 13 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Weste,

One thing I had not thought of is bishop's transcripts. Presumably they would be available from the diocesan office?

Keith

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 03 December 13 06:38 GMT (UK) »
They may be. I know for staffs, Lichfield archives have some but Birmingham classes as Warwickshire, may be Birmingham archives itself has some if not they should be able to tell you  where. One thing though when I looked up a wedding in parish records and then the bishops transcripts. The bishops transcript had the wrong brides name totally. I've been avoiding the new Birmingham archives until next year. Unfortunately the transcript i'm working on is  St peters Walsall but the the church is much older and I wonder if the burial ground as well has been lost over the years as the amount of burials in that area in that 20 year period in the land that's there is amazing.

Also have you looked at Birmingham and midland society for genealogy and heraldry  to see what cd's they produced etc. They are I think are mainly going towards pdf files now. If you locate anything on there, you'll know at least they've been available somewhere. If you type in bmsgh in your search engine, the site should come up with its e -shop listed.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 19:26 GMT (UK) »
I went to St Paul's the other day as I was nearby and I have some ancestors buried there. 

I wasn't expecting to find anything, but to my surprise there are still quite a few gravestones there, most of them legible.  I was noticed by Dennis, a very helpful gent who was on duty at the church to assist visitors.  He produced a book containing transcripts of all the headstones, including some which no longer exist.  Two were for my family, which was a very pleasant surprise.  Sadly their stones were not among the surviving ones but I came away with much more than expected.

UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 30 January 14 10:18 GMT (UK) »

That's wonderful news.

Do you know if this gentleman is there everyday.

I have a week off work in February and would love to pay a visit and have a walk around the grounds.

Fay
Family name Preston (of Birmingham)
Husselbe (Shropshire), Harper (Claverley, Stoke, Warwick, Birmingham) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham) Pitt (Birmingham) Francis (Shropshire) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham). Taylor (Birmingham).  Mellon(Mallon), Convery, Atchison (Gateshead & Ireland).

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 31 January 14 02:14 GMT (UK) »
From what Dennis said, I gathered that St Paul's employs him as "church watch" to be in attendance while the church is open, so I think he (or someone else) is there every day.

He knew where all the surviving stones are, and commented that it was a good time of year to look as some of them get hidden in the shrubbery!  Some have been removed and used as paving, but he checked them all for me.

He said that as far as he knew there was no record of the positions of graves (unless the Library has anything), but that no graves had been disturbed so our relatives are still there  :)
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 24 March 14 13:14 GMT (UK) »

Would just like  to give an update as regards my plight looking for burial plot records for St Pauls Church.

In December “dawnsh” posted a link to the catalogue for the church holdings held in the archives at Birmingham Central Library – more specifically there was documented evidence that the records I am looking for were deposited there in Janauary 1992.

I again contacted the archives – but  on this particular occasion never heard anything back from them. 

Last week I e mailed them again – (replying from the e mail they sent me in October whereby they stated they do not hold the burial plot records) – and I actually attached the “said evidence”.

This was their reply back (the same day):-

“Please accept our apologies for the error about the burial plot registers for St Pauls, Birmingham. The item references for these volumes are EP 35/2/9/1-4.”

Three times they have told me they do not hold the records - suggesting I contact St Pauls - and twice St Pauls have told me they do not know what happened to the records.

Thank you "dawnsh" (dawn) for posting that link.

Fay
Husselbe (Shropshire), Harper (Claverley, Stoke, Warwick, Birmingham) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham) Pitt (Birmingham) Francis (Shropshire) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham). Taylor (Birmingham).  Mellon(Mallon), Convery, Atchison (Gateshead & Ireland).

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 24 March 14 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fay

That's good news the archives have finally acknowledged that they have the records.

Have you had your trip or are you still planning to go?

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 24 March 14 13:42 GMT (UK) »

Yes that's fantastic news Dawn - and all down to you - many thanks.

I have an appointment booked there for Thursday.

Fay

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 24 March 14 13:43 GMT (UK) »
fingers crossed you have a successful visit, let us know how you get on.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea