Author Topic: Burial Plot Records - St Pauls Birmingham  (Read 8743 times)

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burial Plot Records - St Pauls Birmingham
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 27 March 14 19:30 GMT (UK) »

I plan to make another visit to the Archives at some point in the future, and will be better prepared.

I will take my magnifying glass with me and scrutinise every word on every page of those 4 volumes, just in case i've missed the information I was looking for.  Maybe I didn't spend enough time looking.

Keith I know the feeling about St Pauls - in 1975 I used to walk through Birmingham city centre on my way home from work - up to St Pauls and walk the long way around the square instead of cutting through the grounds totally unaware that I would be back almost 40 years later searching for my GG Grandfathers burial plot.

Fay

Family name Preston (of Birmingham)
Husselbe (Shropshire), Harper (Claverley, Stoke, Warwick, Birmingham) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham) Pitt (Birmingham) Francis (Shropshire) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham). Taylor (Birmingham).  Mellon(Mallon), Convery, Atchison (Gateshead & Ireland).

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 27 March 14 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Fay,

So far as you were able to determine, did any of those books contain entries going back as far as the 1790s?

Keith

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 27 March 14 20:42 GMT (UK) »

No Keith. The volumes i had specifically requested started from 1833.

Fay

Husselbe (Shropshire), Harper (Claverley, Stoke, Warwick, Birmingham) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham) Pitt (Birmingham) Francis (Shropshire) Lloyd (Shropshire & Birmingham). Taylor (Birmingham).  Mellon(Mallon), Convery, Atchison (Gateshead & Ireland).

Offline paul.g

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Fay,

Thanks so much for taking the time to look for my ancestor; not to worry that you couldn't find anything. Perhaps he was one of the fainter entries - I know for certain that he was buried there as we have a memorial card produced for the occasion of his burial. I'll have to make a trip to the archives myself at some point and take a look at the books for any other family members. I moved away from the Midlands five years ago, before I started researching, so in hindsight it's rather frustrating that I didn't start sooner!

Thanks again for looking and for locating the books!

Paul

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 15:38 BST (UK) »

Hi Paul, no problem looking for the entry for your ancestor, just wished i had been able to find the information for you.

I too know that my ancestor was buried there, having seen the entry in the burial record registers and who performed the burial, so it was very frustrating to come away from the archives without what i was looking for.

Fay

Offline paul.g

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 16:11 BST (UK) »
What information does the book hold for those entries that are visible? Does it tell us anything more about our ancestors than the Ancestry records can, or indicate the location of their grave?

Offline fayl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 02 April 14 17:32 BST (UK) »

From what i could read there were notes made of the location of some of the burials - what direction the head or feet were pointing in. Plus other notes that i had problems deciphering.

As i couldnt find the names i was looking for i didnt read many of the notes, which i regretted once i'd gotten home.

Fay

Offline Sunny71

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 16 July 23 15:40 BST (UK) »
I have been searching for my relatives in St Paul's churchyard and was disappointed to find that there were very few headstones.
There is a downloadable PDF available from https://midland-ancestors.shop/Hockley-Parish-records-I057D?search=hockley which is very detailed and has a map