Author Topic: 'The Christopher', Ipswich - 1610s  (Read 4885 times)

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
'The Christopher', Ipswich - 1610s
« on: Friday 27 September 13 21:42 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find the location, in St Nicholas Parish, Ipswich, of 'The Christopher', the dwelling house of William Blois, merchant and sugar refiner, close to which was his sugarhouse from 1617 to his death in 1621/2. The family seat, however, was at Grundisburgh.
I found no reference to 'The Christopher' at the Ipswich RO in the short time I had at the end of my last visit.

Some background ...
As a merchant, William Blois not only traded goods locally along the east coast, but also ran a ship 'The Esperanse' between England and Newfoundland, with calls at ports in Portugal, Spain, Italy and France. As a refiner, or to be more accurate, the owner of a sugarhouse, his business was short-lived, but is probably the earliest in the country to have such excellent documentary evidence. One of its two 'Great Books' (accounts books) is held at Ipswich RO and I've transcribed the sugarhouse-related content at  www.mawer.clara.net/loc-ipswich.html  .

Names of some of the employees ...
Rennouls, Isam, Debedge, Bud, Wyssop, Foply.

Bryan.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline cati

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm the one in the middle...
    • View Profile
Re: 'The Christopher', Ipswich - 1610s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 September 13 22:45 BST (UK) »
According to the National Archive, 'The Christopher' was later known as 'The Mansion House' (this isn't the same as Christchurch Mansion)

Not much help, I realise, but it might be a little useful.
Bagot, Bate, Dominy,  Cox, Frost, Griffiths, Eccleston(e), Godrich, Griffiths, Hartland/Hartlin, Westwood, Spicer, Peake, Pass, Perry, Nuttle, Warrender

Catch the Blog at http://familytreeblogs.com/kate

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 September 13 14:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Kate ... another name, a little later, and more to work on.

Bryan.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 October 13 21:42 BST (UK) »
From the National Archives, a reference from the accounts of William Blois (d. 1673), states

" 14th May, 1652: I and my wife .....   removed to my brother Bacon's in Ipswich, the house anciently called the Bull, after the Christopher........... in which house my grandfather and grandmother, my father and mother, ended their lives, in which all my grandfather's and father's children were born....."

So presumably the house was also known as The Bull at some point.

Regards
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 October 13 22:33 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, GS.

Bryan.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 October 13 23:19 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to find online details of the bounaries of St Nicholas Parish.  No luck yet though, unfortunately.   Not sure if there has been any recent demolitions  in that area (I left Ipswich in 1988) but would have thought - barring any modern-day developmental barbarism - there might be a fair chance of the building still surviving, albeit in altered form.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 October 13 14:13 BST (UK) »
Just a thought - could it have been an Inn?   'Christopher' patron saint of travellers, The Bull - good old English pub name :)  Admittedly The Mansion House sounds like something a bit grander.

The English Heritage website has a list of all Listed Buildings in Ipswich www.english-heritage.org.uk if it has survived it could well be listed.

Good luck
K

Offline sharonmx5

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 October 13 16:39 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to find online details of the bounaries of St Nicholas Parish.  No luck yet though, unfortunately.   Not sure if there has been any recent demolitions  in that area (I left Ipswich in 1988) but would have thought - barring any modern-day developmental barbarism - there might be a fair chance of the building still surviving, albeit in altered form.

I would have thought the chances of finding that it still survives are pretty remote.  That area is heavily redeveloped.  Unless it was actually on St Nicholas Street or one of the odd Tudor houses still dotted around but I would have thought it a remote chance.
Hudson - Ipswich, pre 1800; Devall - Colchester, pre 1780

Offline hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 October 13 17:06 BST (UK) »
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />