Author Topic: blyth buildings  (Read 23375 times)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: blyth buildings
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 23:21 BST (UK) »
And whilst doing some research about theaters and cinemas in Blyth, this shot of the Hippodrome on what is now Rink Street, shows the Lodging House looming in the background over the street scene on the right. It illustrates nicely how high and elevated the building was on Ballast Hill.

http://northumberlandpast.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/cinemas-and-theatres-of-blyth.html

I do hope you are not bored by all this! Hehehehe  ::)

P

Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 23:39 BST (UK) »
  Never bored P ! Just amazed at what you find.
    Re Rink St, is it still here ? , I cant recall such a street.
             Keep em coming,    Dolly

Northumberland. Main.Hertfordshire.Brash.Dryden
East Lothian.Brash. Dryden. Cumberland.Henderson.Joyce.
Plymouth.Charlick. Canada.Boulds.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 19 June 14 00:51 BST (UK) »
Rink Street still exists Dolly.

It is the little street / road at the back of the Bus Station which connects Post Office Street (on the right side of the station as you face it from Bridge Street) and Union Street (on the left side of the station) completing the 'loop' which buses use to enter and exit the station. The old Roxy Cinema (now Mecca Bingo) fronts onto it and the little road disappears out of sight to the right and round the back of the Post Office into the Arriva Bus Depot.

Glad you still find it enthralling. I must say I do like a good rummage and finding these old images and the stories behind their streets and buildings. I shall endeavour to 'keep 'em coming'. In fact I just added more to my Flickr Blyth Album if you are interested. You will see a 'new' shot of the Bus Station taken from the corner of Rink Street and Union Street looking South!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/51893012@N05/sets/72157641931957224/

P

Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 19 June 14 10:12 BST (UK) »
fascinating, so many memories.
Thanks Phil H.  :)
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

Offline emmadog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 19 June 14 14:26 BST (UK) »
What an interesting link.   Just spent ages looking at it.  Now for your pics!!  No wonder I never get any work done😫😫😫😫.

Barbara.

DURHAM - Johnson
NORTHUMBERLAND - Hunter,  Pigdon, Hansen, Waddell?, Turnbull
LANCASHIRE - Crabtree
SCOTLAND - Mallachin or Mallichan or Mallaghan
NORWAY - Hansen

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 19 June 14 21:07 BST (UK) »
Well I never! one learns something every day,
   I was born and have lived in Blyth all my life and have never heard of a Rink Street.
  More so neither has my better half!  ???
    You'll be telling us next that Blyth once had an Ice Rink, cos where did that name come from?
     Great pics on that link Hodgetts,     I can down load the ones you post here,but
            I am unable to from Flicker? Why ?
                                                 Dolly

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 19 June 14 22:06 BST (UK) »
Re Blyth having a Rink. Yes Dolly Dee, that is why it is called Rink Street!

It was originally a Roller Skating Rink.

William Tudor, a Circus Proprietor bought the Rink and converted it into the Hippodrome.

He initially had a Circus on Croft Road from 1892 and moved it into a building on Union Street, where the Wallaw now stands. That was the site of the first Hippodrome in Blyth, and you might have heard about one of the shows that he and his wife Edith did using pit ponies which were bought from the Seaton Delaval Coal Company.

When he bought the Roller Skating Rink and converted it into a 'theatre' he carried the name forward, so it also became the Hippodrome, the second building to carry that name in Blyth. His 'new' Hippodrome on Rink Street opened 6 March 1920.

William Tudor was the first to bring moving film images to Blyth and I understand he died in 1940 at the great age of 87.

I'm not sure of what happened, I think there was a fire and the Hippodrome was lost. The site was used to build the Roxy Cinema and Ballroom, now used a Bingo Hall.

I hope I have my facts and the dates correct. Hopefully someone will correct me where I might have gone wrong. It always brings me out in a sweat knowing that there is a local history society in Blyth and anyone of the members might happen across this info, and I'd hate to give them their best laugh of the year so far! Hehe.

Re saving my pictures from Flickr. When you are viewing the pictures you will see at bottom right of the picture a downwards pointing arrow with a line underneath it. That is the symbol for downloading the image. Clicking on it brings up a sub-menu giving you options to download any one of several sizes, or you can 'View All Sizes'. If you do View All Sizes you can choose original if you like, that will be a big picture, which if you like it enough, you can save to your computer and print off on A4 glossy paper and frame for yourself or friends and family or alternatively use the image as a background on your computer monitor. I'm glad you are enjoying the images.

P

Offline dolly dimples

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 19 June 14 23:03 BST (UK) »
Blimey, I was just joking! and you come back with all this.  Your quite a fanatic on Blyth!

I will be asking everyone I meet this week if they knew any of this!

Dont suppose you've a photo of this Skating rink? mmm

As for Flicker thanks for the download tips, there are some amazing pics on there,
 I am putting together an album of all the photos of old England that I have come across,
   and its just about full now Yippee !  Thanks,   your time and effort that you put in this site is much appreciated , Dolly

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Friday 20 June 14 11:01 BST (UK) »
Ya making me blush Dolly!  :o

This is a small and battered old image of the Hippodrome.

I think this structure will have been internally converted from the roller skating rink into William Tudor's theatre. I doubt the exterior will have changed much at all during the conversion to suit his use of the building.

P