Author Topic: William and Lilian Brown nee Wyatt  (Read 2282 times)

Offline Mozzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
William and Lilian Brown nee Wyatt
« on: Monday 30 September 13 15:17 BST (UK) »
Looking to connect with descendants of William Brown and Lilian Maud Wyatt who married in (W.Ham) in 1908.  William's parents were William and Rachel Brown nee Cook from Prittlewell/Paglesham in Essex.  He and wife Lilian went farming in MacGregor area of Manitoba where they raised a family.  I believe that William and Lilian returned to Southend later in life and are buried there.  I would love to know more about this family as William was my g grandmother's brother.  From Mozzie
Poolman, Polden, Scratchley (Wiltshire/Somerset): Hutchens, Roscrow, Mann (Cornwall/St.Buryan): Bradshaw, Squires, Griffen, Griffin (Surrey/Battersea): Brown, Hedgley (Essex/Southend).  Also Bradshaw, Roscrow and Hutchens in Australia.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William and Lilian Brown nee Wyatt
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 September 13 15:28 BST (UK) »
Correct me if I am wrong but the only Lilian Maud Wyatt marriage in 1908  in West Ham is married to either

Thomas Arthur Link
or
Sidney Shakespeare

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 October 13 18:43 BST (UK) »
The marriage you mentioned in 1908 West Ham Wyatt to Brown

I have now established the connection and cross references to these two couples
Lilian Maud Wyatt must have been to Sidney Shakespeare as Thomas Link married Alice Maud Foster
Free BMD's 1908 West Ham Dec qtr ref 4a 235
Do you actually have the marriage cert for your Lilian Wyatt to William Brown , or has this been entered incorrectly ?

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 October 13 20:15 BST (UK) »
Agree with Louisa Maud - there is no marriage listed in 1908 between William Brown and Lilian Maud Wyatt???

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mozzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 October 13 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Louisa Maud & Annette7,

Thought I'd connected the dots on freebdm but just had another look and yes you are right, I can't find a marriage with her to William Brown although I know that there was a marriage between two with the same name and supposedly in Essex.  I've had success with the other couple (Sam Snow and Emma Brown) but am no longer sure I'm on the right track with William and Lilian.  I'm going to have to try another tack with the William Brown line and will be back when I have my info correct.  Many thanks for the help.  From Mozzie ???
Poolman, Polden, Scratchley (Wiltshire/Somerset): Hutchens, Roscrow, Mann (Cornwall/St.Buryan): Bradshaw, Squires, Griffen, Griffin (Surrey/Battersea): Brown, Hedgley (Essex/Southend).  Also Bradshaw, Roscrow and Hutchens in Australia.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 October 13 01:50 BST (UK) »
You've got me totally confused.   I've read your other threads re. Brown families and even more confused.

You say Samuel Snow married an Emma Brown (dau. of William and Rachel?) - can find no marriage in the UK for them although Canadian census states they emigrated ca.1887/1888.   Since you say this is one couple you've settled presumably you know when/where they married.

From what I can see in the records William and Rachel's children all seemed to have 2 Christian names - son William seems to be William Edward Brown birth reg'd Mar.1870 Rochford.   He married an Alice Elizabeth Miller in Mar.qtr.1900 Rochford and they can both be found in 1901/1911 census in Prittlewell so don't appear to have gone to Canada!

How do you know that it was William and Rachel's daughter Emma who married Samuel Snow?   It certainly doesn't look like her brother William Edward ever went to Canada?

The other William John Brown (who married, apparently, Wm./Rachel's daughter Florence Emily) is also still in England on 1901/1911 census with his wife in Prittlewell. 

I can't even find a William Brown with a wife named Lilian in Manitoba on the Canadian census!!

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mozzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 October 13 02:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette,

Yes, I'm totally confused too.  I've banked all my knowledge on a couple of photos, a book written about MacGregor (village) pioneers in Manitoba and knowledge of surnames passed down the generations.  I've had contact with a Snow descendant  and am pretty sure I'm on the right track with Emma Brown and Samuel Snow, although I can't find marriage evidence.  On the other hand I think I've made an error with the supposed brother William Edward and Lilian Wyatt although they are also in this history book as having married in Southend and being Samuel Snow's friend also from Southend.  The Florence Emily Brown (sister) is my great grandmother who married another William Brown (next door and same surname) and they went to Australia in early 1900's.  Very embarrassed at not doing all my homework properly before posting but I was so excited to get the Emma Brown and Samuel Snow connection, I just assumed his friend William was Emma's brother William - so many Browns.  I have Brown marrying Brown so it just does my head in sometimes.  Now I'm researching Brown Snow - doesn't sound nice!  Regards Mozzie