Author Topic: missing grave  (Read 5828 times)

stormtroop

Re: missing grave
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 19:07 BST (UK) »

I don't understand your sentiments - 'not impressed' if you have not found or confirmed the deaths yet. That would surely be your first priorty.
When you have death details, you will be in a better position to look for burials.

heywood
[/quote]

Oh hell, sorry Heywood, yes, my fault, I have got mixed up between the generations. I do not always have good powers of concentration owing to ill health , I am sorry but I have to admit to this.
Sarah was born in about 1851 in Goathland Yorks, George in 1841 in Wooler Northumberland, he died first in 1907-I have a reference for him, it is Sarah I do not have anything for.

Apologies for mixup and any time wasted on your part, your efforts are appreciated.

stormtroop

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 19:09 BST (UK) »
As above, contact the council graves department, they should have the records and lair maps. I recently found one where the only markers were 4 stones with DB on them denoting the persons initials, and that was a 1929 death. Only way to ever find that is through the lair maps.

Hello, what is a " lair map"?, I can not find a definition to that.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 19:11 BST (UK) »
Oh no time wasted - just didn't read quite right but then I found them  :)

As has been advised, council cemetery department may be able to help but you would need their death details.
I posted a possible one for Sarah and the one you mention for George looks good so that would be a start.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 19:12 BST (UK) »
Was Isabella's husband, Alexander?

Is he the one you have a grave for but she is not buried with him - is that right?
Is she the death in 1898?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

stormtroop

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 19:33 BST (UK) »
Was Isabella's husband, Alexander?

Is he the one you have a grave for but she is not buried with him - is that right?
Is she the death in 1898?

Yes Isabella was married to Alexander, she is not buried with him and I think she did die in 1898, she was living with her grandson a Robert Rogerson whom she had raised from a one year old, Robert was a blacksmith.

Offline 1716

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hello, what is a " lair map"?, I can not find a definition to that.

It basically tells the gravediggers where people are buried within the cemetry. It doesn't usually list the names, just grave "lair" numbers. Depending on how old the cemetry is, these can be written on rolls of cloth - usually sitting on the back seat of the graveworkers van!

So you phone up the local authority, give them the name and estimated date of death, get the lair number, look at the lair map, and hey presto you know where the person is buried.

Also have a search around that grave incase other relatives are buried nearby.

stormtroop

« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 20:07 BST (UK) »
I never knew that , lairs, an interesting word to describe where someone is buried.

Thanks for the advice.

Offline 1716

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 20:12 BST (UK) »
Its a Scottish term, sorry for the confusion. May even date back to middle english, but I should have just used grave map - although lair map sounds nicer.

stormtroop

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 20:34 BST (UK) »
Its a Scottish term, sorry for the confusion. May even date back to middle english, but I should have just used grave map - although lair map sounds nicer.

If you think of some unpleasant characters who may be buried " lair" may just be an appropriate word  ;D I am off to watch interesting history programmes on BBC 4.

Good night.