Author Topic: why would you want a black sheep?  (Read 13481 times)

Offline sue q

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: why would you want a black sheep?
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,, 

some  of us have black  sheep  now  that we  don't  want,  my  daughter  was  murdered  in march  by  her  husband, he  was  convicted  in  september  and sentenced  to  life  imprisonment,  for  my  two  little grandaughters  this  has  been  horrific  and  they  will  probably  never  get  over  it,  however  I  found  a  murder  in  my  family  in  1882  and  was  fascinated  by  it,  no  doubt  iin  200  years  time my  descendants  will  be  fascinated  by  my  daughters  murder,  it's  just  human  nature.

Sue  Benson
researching- Goddard, Wilson, Moyses, Williams, Patman, Ellis, Carr, Thompson, Wilkinson, Knapp, Smith- Yorkshire,Milsom/Milson Somerset, Reaney, Ward, Wood, Brownill, Woolhouse, Inman, Chapman, Ellwood, Mason, Heeley, Midwood, Connolly and Sheppard- Ireland, Sylvester,

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 21:42 BST (UK) »
That's terrible, sue q, and I'm very sorry to hear it.  I hope that your grand daughters are starting to move on.  You're right, though, it is human nature for curiosity to eventually kick in once a couple of generations have passed.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline sue q

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 21:46 BST (UK) »
Thanks  for that,  the  girls  are 8   &  6  they  cry  for  mummy  but  do  not  ask  for  daddy,  I  think  that  says  it  all.

Sue
researching- Goddard, Wilson, Moyses, Williams, Patman, Ellis, Carr, Thompson, Wilkinson, Knapp, Smith- Yorkshire,Milsom/Milson Somerset, Reaney, Ward, Wood, Brownill, Woolhouse, Inman, Chapman, Ellwood, Mason, Heeley, Midwood, Connolly and Sheppard- Ireland, Sylvester,

stormtroop

« Reply #48 on: Thursday 03 October 13 05:47 BST (UK) »
May your  God go with dear lady, I wish sorry were more than just a word.

I found what I think might be a black sheep , in someone else's family but who affected mine!, I would like to meet his descendants and let them know what I think"!.
My female ancestor died at 18 in 1911 after suffering for 9 days, I got the death certificate two weeks ago, the doctor was mind numbingly incompetent. It is still going on isn't it. I wonder how many "medical families" have a good laugh at family get togethers and discuss their  ancestral black sheep. Rather prone to this type of thing in my family line, so not altogether happy about it.

It is odd how some things haunt families through the decades.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 03 October 13 06:07 BST (UK) »
One of my ancestors was the last victim of this one:

http://murderpedia.org/female.P/p/peete-louise.htm
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 03 October 13 14:20 BST (UK) »
Sue that is truly awful and I am so sorry and sad for you and your family. May you receive the strength you need for you and your grandchildren. Big hug.                        Sue.

Offline Graham47

• RootsChat Senior
  • Not putting the clock back, just right.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 03 October 13 16:24 BST (UK) »
stormtroop maybe your ancestors just never got caught   ;D  ;D

:D
Allanby's, Thompson's and Pannett's of Leeds and Tadcaster.
Streeter's and Kent's of Croydon.
Cavalli's and Cascarini's of Wales and Italy

Offline Graham47

• RootsChat Senior
  • Not putting the clock back, just right.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 03 October 13 16:40 BST (UK) »
Something has always fascinated me about the English, why do they like the idea of a black sheep in the family??.  Do tell , what is the appeal!!, I do not have any of those, all skilled working class aristocracy in mine and proud of it, Scots non conformists, maybe it is the morality, but somehow going off the rails really never appealed.

I do find the English obsession  with having something "nasty" in the family bloodline and then making sentimental "non judgemental "excuses for it, when everyone else was working and staying  on the straight and narrow really intriguing .
Oh I have a book on English executions so I love reading about how your ancestors were dispatched.

Not sure I care about the label being attached here. Are you really suggesting those north of our border are less fascinated in some of the more gruesome aspects of our history and that somehow they are all innocent observers by virtue of Presbyterianism for example?

Maybe we should mention the series of murders committed in Edinburgh by Burke and Hare? Oh hang on, they were both Irish!
Allanby's, Thompson's and Pannett's of Leeds and Tadcaster.
Streeter's and Kent's of Croydon.
Cavalli's and Cascarini's of Wales and Italy

stormtroop

« Reply #53 on: Thursday 03 October 13 19:19 BST (UK) »
One of my ancestors was the last victim of this one:

http://murderpedia.org/female.P/p/peete-louise.htm

Oh hell!, this individual was one nasty piece of work. facing her own death in the gas chamber so calmly, she obviously had no respect for any kind of life, even her own.

May your ancestor rest in peace.