Author Topic: why would you want a black sheep?  (Read 13511 times)

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
Re: why would you want a black sheep?
« Reply #63 on: Friday 04 October 13 13:09 BST (UK) »

The "claybeg" is also good for cutting turf, and chopping down posts, especially the Wembly variety. :o :o :o

Regards

Malky

Don't seem to remember one being used much at Twickenham.  ;D
Frank.
Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Friday 04 October 13 13:53 BST (UK) »
"Don't seem to remember one being used much at Twickenham"

But Twickenham has a Danish cover. When we bring back the Danish, we think of bacon, not grass  :D :D :D

Regards

Malky

stormtroop

« Reply #65 on: Friday 04 October 13 17:42 BST (UK) »
Claybeg, claymore, broadsword, pole -axe, none would do me any good , I am under 5ft 6, so let me think....arsenic in the soup??, a short dagger?,   ;D

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 04 October 13 19:30 BST (UK) »
Stilts  ??? ???

Regards

Malky

stormtroop

« Reply #67 on: Friday 04 October 13 22:47 BST (UK) »
Stilts  ??? ???

Regards

Malky

Nope, some one with a big broadsword would come and cut me down, I think the dagger and the arsenic in the soup is the best bet. speaking of which, there is an excellent book available called " the Arsenic Century" by James C.Whorton, how victorian britain was poisoned at home, work and play. one Guardian reviewer called it " a lovely book"  :o.  I thought only the Mail was capable of vitriol appreciation at the moment  ;D

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Saturday 05 October 13 07:32 BST (UK) »
Oh I do love this topic keep it going.
My contribution is;
A very minor twig in my tree was John Tutchin (1660 - 1707) who was sentenced to be whipped though all the towns in Dorset annually by that malevolent,vicious beast of a judge judge Jeffreys for his part in the Monmouth Rebellion.
The amount of reading matter about this man is endless and no doubt anyone who has Jeffreys in their tree would similarly have plenty to read about.
joboy
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Saturday 05 October 13 08:29 BST (UK) »
I think that once you have a hundred plus names etc in your tree, then a bit if notoriety comes as a welcome relief. After all, how many names have only the parents, birth, occupation, siblings, marriage, death and living locations without a mention of the "spice of life" that makes them individual, suffering the actual trials of life.

Regards

Malky

Added, metal stilts made from girders ::) ::) ::)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Saturday 05 October 13 08:55 BST (UK) »
After all, how many names have only the parents, birth, occupation, siblings, marriage, death and living locations

We are "spoilt" by the internet. With facebook, twitter & co. we take it for granted that everybody knows (or can find out) everything about us.

In his book on researching Shakespeare Bill Bryson makes the point that the only written details for most of our ancestors were the parish register entries for baptism, marriage and burial.  Later, with civil registration, they were mentioned in birth, marriage and death certificates, and, after 1841, in the census returns.

Unless .....  they did something which merited an entry somewhere, which we can now pounce on with cries of joy  ;D

And unfortunately, for many it was just the "dark side" that got commemorated :(

In this sense I am fortunate that my maternal grandfather and his three brothers were well known lawyers, reporters and political activists between the World Wars, so I often find snippets about them and their activities in the internet. 

Other than that, my family stayed out of trouble, and out of the public eye ...although, I must confess: recently another family researcher found some newspaper articles, where our great-great-grandmother tried to sue someone for support and maintenance of our great-grandmother but the case was thrown out of court. It was also mentioned that she had been tried previously for concealing the birth of another illegitimate child !

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Graham47

• RootsChat Senior
  • Not putting the clock back, just right.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Saturday 05 October 13 09:17 BST (UK) »
I think that once you have a hundred plus names etc in your tree, then a bit if notoriety comes as a welcome relief. After all, how many names have only the parents, birth, occupation, siblings, marriage, death and living locations without a mention of the "spice of life" that makes them individual, suffering the actual trials of life.

Regards

Malky

Added, metal stilts made from girders ::) ::) ::)

Added to which without such characters, our family trees would be about as interesting as an instruction sheet for flat pack furniture from IKEA I reckon. Variety good or bad is the spice of life as you say.

Allanby's, Thompson's and Pannett's of Leeds and Tadcaster.
Streeter's and Kent's of Croydon.
Cavalli's and Cascarini's of Wales and Italy