Author Topic: why would you want a black sheep?  (Read 13492 times)

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: why would you want a black sheep?
« Reply #99 on: Sunday 06 October 13 12:49 BST (UK) »
I am sad to hear that Graham, however, no doubt you have become a better person than they. I agree with you about meanings  but it's people who assume the worst without knowledge or consideration ........grrr! Thanks for your replies lol

Offline lyn22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Sunday 06 October 13 12:57 BST (UK) »
I am proud of my so called Black Sheep Convicts who were sent to Australia for very minor offences. They all went on to have good law abiding lives. One even became a Policeman. I am also very proud of the war heroes in my tree but I cannot defend Wars. Australia was built by the Convicts. People who think they do not have a Black Sheep look harder.   ;) Money can cover up anything. Take Care Lynette
Peter Burke father Dominick Burke wife Bridget Bagley son James Burke wife Lucy Dyke County Mayo Coventry England Australia . Grant ,Snell,Diggins , Burton, James Frederick Elmore /Elmer , Alfred James Bailey , Julia Elmore , Pierson

stormtroop

« Reply #101 on: Sunday 06 October 13 13:37 BST (UK) »
Right , hugs ALL round now. I will now come clean, I am researching my Fathers family, they are a good family from what I have found , but a century ago, a woman married in who "poisoned the well!", my grandmother, she would not acknowledge any of her grandchildren and treated my beautiful mother,  :'(  me and my brothers and sisters appallingly! , as well as her sons and daughters in law.  Her judgemental attitude rubbed off on her own daughters and I grew up with that, I am still trying to deal with it .
The strangest and cruellest twist was, after my grandmother died, one of her  daughters let slip that my grandmother had had an illegitimate child! and my grandfather "could not have married a worst choice " according to his friends!, he lived to regret it and hated his own  daughters.  His son, my father could not have married a better woman  :'( speaking of whom found out some years ago just what kind of an environment this mother in law from hell hailed from. 
My mother was in a hairdressers on day relating the family history and gave the name of the village her mother in law came from , the whole salon-customers and staff froze in horrified silence.

Like I said HUGS all round  ;D ;D ;D sitting here with tea and a few tears for   us all.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: Sunday 06 October 13 13:45 BST (UK) »
I have to say that I find your own posts very judgemental, argumentative and deceitful. You seem to think the 'English' are overly concerned with black sheep ancestors and said "... English, why do they like the idea of a black sheep in the family??.  Do tell , what is the appeal!!, I do not have any of those, all skilled working class aristocracy in mine... ." Now you have the cheek to say that your own grandmother was what we can probably term a black sheep  ::)
Probably some of the most important 'rules' in family history (as in all sorts of research) are truth and fact.

P.s. I'm not English but have lots of black sheep in my family which I find quite pleasing  ;D
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

stormtroop

« Reply #103 on: Sunday 06 October 13 13:58 BST (UK) »
I have to say that I find your own posts very judgemental, argumentative and deceitful.

Oh hello, I have not seen you before?? where did you spring from?? , been "lurking" while I have been posting?. Judgemental -yes I admitted to that, argumentative, not without a few smilies thrown in , that is what they are there for! in case anyone gets the wrong idea??. and a good argument never harmed anyone
deceitful, about what?? .  I am cautious when I post on a forum I have not been on before I spent my life in jobs where security was important , guarding other peoples informations including yours! it rubs off!. 

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: Sunday 06 October 13 14:01 BST (UK) »
"My mother was in a hairdressers on day relating the family history and gave the name of the village her mother in law came from , the whole salon-customers and staff froze in horrified silence."

Why do people worry what others think. So this was your fathers family. You cannot change history.
Immaterial the relationship, one can onle strive to be better. My mother does not acknowledge my children or her great grandchildren from my line. That makes absolutely no difference to us at all. That's her choice, and how we deal with it is our choice. It does not mean that we have to be of the same frame of mind as her. An individuals behaviour is based on their own conscience. Why would you let yours be driven or affected by others.

Regards

Malky

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: Sunday 06 October 13 14:05 BST (UK) »
Where did I spring from? Well actually I've been here quite a while as you can see from my profile and number of posts. Just because people aren't posting on topics doesn't mean they aren't reading them (and it's not considered 'lurking' here).

Deceitful? Perhaps you don't understand the meaning of the word- "deceiving or misleading others" is one definition. You stated in your 1st post you had no 'black sheep' in your lineage and finally tell us about your grandmother  ::)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: Sunday 06 October 13 14:18 BST (UK) »
Oh hello, I have not seen you before?? where did you spring from?? , been "lurking" while I have been posting?. Judgemental -yes I admitted to that, argumentative, not without a few smilies thrown in , that is what they are there for! in case anyone gets the wrong idea??. and a good argument never harmed anyone

I see that you are relatively new to this forum, in which case you will not realise that Aghadowey was a highly respected moderator until she recently resigned. As she said, a lot of people follow posts but do not contribute until they feel that they can add to them. I also find it odd that you go from wondering why people want "black sheep" to suddenly admitting that you have one. Why not state that at first? 
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: Sunday 06 October 13 14:20 BST (UK) »
This thread has been confusing me from the beginning ???.
I'm not English either but as I pointed out in reply 9 , I wasn't aware the the "English" were any more obsessed by " black sheep" than any other nationality.
We have no control of the past or what our ancestors did or did not do. As family history researchers we find what we find!! We can't be judgmental. And no-one should claim to have no "black sheep".