Author Topic: Orton connections Wharton Threxton Krennels Martindale Winder  (Read 5764 times)

Offline suzyf

• RootsChat Senior
  • 4 Generations of Strong Women
    • View Profile
Orton connections Wharton Threxton Krennels Martindale Winder
« on: Tuesday 01 October 13 16:34 BST (UK) »
Does anybody have connections to these descendents of James Wharton yeoman of Highwoodend farm Tebay died March 1853 (married to Hannah Bird )
James Wharton b.1792  ?corn miller of Crosby Ravensworth m. to Margaret Varah .He inherits Highwoodend.
Ann Wharton b.1794 m. to Richard Threxton both possibly dead by 1853
Hannah Wharton b.1796 m. to John Kennels
Margaret Wharton b.1802 m.to John Martindale
Elizabeth Wharton b. 1804 m.  to Thomas Winder iron founder b.Preston Patrick
Thomas Wharton b. 1807 grocer m. to Elizabeth Robertson. He inherits Selsmire.
Jane Wharton b.1808 m. to Robert Thompson.
Westmoreland -Farrer,Thompson,Park,Wharton,Airey
Lancs  Farrer ,Thompson,Clarke,Brewer,Reid,Howarth,Feast,Sladen,Southern

Ireland(Offaly)Reid
London -Feast

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Orton connections Wharton Threxton Krennels Martindale Winder
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 01:59 BST (UK) »
hi have current friend s who are Wharton of tebay but we dont think we come from tebay as such. There is the hous e opp. the pub with the Wharton name on it.mine are from kirby stephan , waitby .. Thanks fred.
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline suzyf

• RootsChat Senior
  • 4 Generations of Strong Women
    • View Profile
Re: Orton connections Wharton Threxton Krennels Martindale Winder
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 October 13 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hi
Did you see this ?Lord Wharton connection which I put on the Cumberland Board. My dad had heard it from his grandpa Joseph Thompson ,one of James Wharton of Tebay's grandsons .Another grandson James Thompson lived with the Whartons.
I am hoping somebody somewhere has an idea of what may have happened to the silver dagger and the book.
James Wharton ,the son(1792-1864) inherited his fathers goods and chattels along with Highwoodend farm.
He in turn left the farm,household furniture etc  to his son ,another James Wharton.
He also had 7 daughters Hannah ,Elizabeth m.to ? Perkins,Mary,Ann,Rachel m.Robert Mclachlan,Jane m.Lancelot Woof,Sarah m. to William Green.

My understanding is that the family of Lord Wharton died out.
However...part of a letter to the. Kendal Mercury. 25 June 1864
''There are Wharton's living now in Orton parish who are descendants of those Wharton's that the lecture is about. There is one James Wharton living now at High Wood End ,near Tebay station that is one of them and there is a very old spear with silver handle hanging in his house which is said to have been taken from the Scots by one Lord Wharton and handed down from one family to another till it reached its present owner. I myself know it belonged to his father and he himself is a very old man,and the same person has a book in his possession full of writing which was done by one Thomas Wharton one of the descendants about the Wharton's and their descendants.
I remember once looking at it and the old woman said ''it's no use thee looking at that,it's been written when Adam was a little boy '
And I remember the old people saying something about 2 of Lord Wharton's children who had to be stowed away in hampers and taken somewhere in the time of the first Scotch Rebellion. I cannot now explain it but I have no doubt there will be something in the book about it.
I remain yours truelyJ. W.''

Is there anybody with a newspaper subscription who could check out any subsequent correspondence to the paper.
Or throw any light on what happened to the book.
James Wharton of High Wood End died Aug 1864 ,son of James Wharton and Hannah Bird.
James Wharton 1771_1853 ,
Sue
Westmoreland -Farrer,Thompson,Park,Wharton,Airey
Lancs  Farrer ,Thompson,Clarke,Brewer,Reid,Howarth,Feast,Sladen,Southern

Ireland(Offaly)Reid
London -Feast