Author Topic: missing children  (Read 935 times)

Offline grannyjoan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
missing children
« on: Wednesday 02 October 13 08:46 BST (UK) »
Is there a way to identify children that were born and died between census returns. I have parents name and the area where they lived.
grannyjoan

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: missing children
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 10:01 BST (UK) »
Parish records mainly , although some early ones don't put much  info on. Suggest you put the details of the couple you are interested in on this thread so that if people have access to the particular parish records they can help or may be someone going to the particular archive can look up for you if you can't visit. Also sometimes gravestones may be of help if a child was buried with ancestors, they may have been added to an inscription.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 15:35 BST (UK) »
Hi

You can check freebmd for births/deaths in the registration district in which the family were living which can help narrow it down.  Only works if there are not loads of entries with the same surname in that area
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Manchester Rambler

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 15:46 BST (UK) »
Depending on the area, some local BMD sites such as Cheshire BMD have added/are in the process of adding the mother's maiden name to entries 1837-1911 - these are NOT shown on the main GRO index.

See http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/ for areas covered.
ANT: Nesbit, Potts; CHS: Gosling (Hazel Grove/Lymm), Hinton (Lymm), Johnson (Hazel Grove), Marsland (Hazel Grove), Massey (Daresbury), Sorton (Warmingham); LAN: Jackson, James, Potts (Manchester/Salford); MAY: Caulfield, Griffin (Leveelick); SAL: Goodwin, Johnson (Bridgnorth), Gregory (Wellington); STS: Goodwin, Gregory, Johnson (Wolverhampton); Hallett (Trysull); SOM: Dowding, James, Jones (Bath)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 16:04 BST (UK) »
If you are looking in the Manchester area this burial site is excellent. I have found a few children buried in family graves.
http://www.burialrecords.manchester.gov.uk/

You have to pay to view the burial record itself (you buy credits) but with a bit of clever searching you can find out quite a lot first.
Search for names you know or even just on the surname, then check to see who who else is in the graves. Then a reverse search of those names will bring up a date of burial for that grave number.

Then you check FreeBMD to see if you can find an age at death...

Only once you have a likely candidate do you decide to pay for the original register which will give an address.

If you have Ancestry, there are also quite a lot of Manchester parish baptism, marriage and burial records for a number of churches. I found quite a few on there the other day.
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=2959

Milly

McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline grannyjoan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 October 13 11:44 BST (UK) »
My thanks to the people who responded to my query re the missing children. I appreciate your input.
grannyjoan