Author Topic: Help Needed John Piper Tasmania and Sydney Transportee 1835-1856  (Read 2690 times)

Offline Piperatthegates

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Grandad PC Arthur Piper 1844-1886
    • View Profile
Help Needed John Piper Tasmania and Sydney Transportee 1835-1856
« on: Thursday 03 October 13 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have just restarted my researches and I have found the death of John Piper (one of the loose ends on my tree)
What I Know
Bap: Toppesfield Essex England 18/03/1810
Transported to Tasmania aboard Mangles arriving 1/08/1835
Certificate of Freedom 1846
Died 18/06/1856 Sydney Australia (reported 19/06/1856 edition of Sydney Morning Herald)

Any help with his time in Tasmania and Australia would be appreciated including did he marry? have children? etc...
BTW are there convict photo's from back then as I am UK based I don't know

Any help would be gratefully received
Piper, Essex
Piper, London Hoxton Islington

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline Piperatthegates

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Help Needed John Piper Tasmania and Sydney Transportee 1835-1856
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 October 13 15:06 BST (UK) »
Many Thanks Debra, The records you have dug out for me are great, I just wish I could make out more of the handwriting  :)

I see that he was given an extra three years for something, I wonder what he got up to!

again many thanks for some reason I am really fond of John, He seems a complete reprobate but he has left his mark.
Since posting I have now found a John Piper leaving Tasmania in 1846 for Sydney so I am guessing he left as soon as he was freed.
Piper, Essex

Offline Piperatthegates

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 October 13 15:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I was wrong about the leaving Tasmania in 1846 that looks to be another John Piper.

I will keep delving  :)

Thanks in advance
Piper, Essex

Offline Piperatthegates

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 October 13 15:33 BST (UK) »
I have found a permission to marry document con52/1/7 p361 and it appears that perhaps John stayed on in Tasmania but can someone with more knowledge of these records confirm that I have the right John Piper. It appears that there were two convicts called John Piper and the other one left Tasmania in 1846 so it probably isn't him. It discribes John as Free which he would be so does that mean that Catherine Mcloughlin was a convict?

He must have left fairly shortly after to be in Sydney when he died, questions, questions, questions  :)
Piper, Essex

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 October 13 23:33 BST (UK) »
Can you confirm the John Piper your looking for is the one who married Catherine? Just want to make sure we're looking for the right couple. IF the convict John Piper who arrived on the Mangles in 1835 is the same one who married Catherine he was here for 20 years before marrying  ??? Just seems to be a long time from arriving to marrying.

convict
56478    Piper    John    01 Aug 1835    Mangles    21 Apr 1835    London
46487    McLoughlin Catherine 07 Mar 1851 Emma Eugenia (4)    30 Oct 1850    London

Permission to marry
PIPER    John    free    McLOUGHLIN    Catherine    Emma Eugenia    16 APR 1855

McLoughlin, Catherine
Convict No:    46487
Emma Eugenia (4)
Arrival Date:    07 Mar 1851
Departure Date:    30 Oct 1850
Departure Port:    London

Catherine was 31 when sent here and widowed with 2 children.
http://search.archives.tas.gov.au/ImageViewer/image_viewer.htm?CON41-1-29,183,122,L,80

Also
http://foundersandsurvivors.org/pubsearch/convict/chain/of23779

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 October 13 23:49 BST (UK) »
The NSW death registration V18565382 122A/1856    PIPER    JOHN    

hi

I would be ordering a certificate for the death of the man who died in Sydney.
This may offer a clue that could eliminate or confirm him.  It is probable not a great deal was known about him, but still worthwhile in my opinion.

A less expensive alternative to ordering a copy of the original is through a Transcription Agent

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/howToTraceYouFamTree.htm#TranscriptionAgent

Here is a link to what you may find on
Australian certificates-
http://www.jaunay.com/bdm.html

Sue

ADDING

It is noteworthy that the Sydney Morning Herald notice shows the place of birth and the age at death  matching   what you  have on your original post.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TasTyger

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 04 October 13 08:08 BST (UK) »
The  full Marriage certificate for John Piper and Catherine McLoughlan can be found on FamilySearch -

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-35347-14821-39?cc=2125029&wc=M93C-9ZC:n293615032

This John Piper is a Boatman and both Piper convicts per 'Arab' and Mangles appear to be Ploughman. That's not to say either one of them couldn't have picked up the occupation as a sideline...

Cheers,

Peter

Offline Piperatthegates

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 04 October 13 10:35 BST (UK) »
Thank you Tastyger, Sparrett and Giblet.

I am certain that the Mangles John Piper is my one but beyond that the only confirmed item I can come up with is the death notice from the Sydney Morning Herald (19/06/1856) which states "June 18th, at his residence, Pitt-street, Sydney, Mr. John Piper, native of Toppesfield, Essex, England, aged 45 years." This is all correct for my John Piper and as he is the only John Piper from Toppesfield (small village) that is unaccounted for it must be the one that was transported on Mangles.

In Tasmania at the time there appears to be two convicts called John Piper one from Mangles, one from Arab, the one from Arab appears to heve left Tasmania early 1846 leaving, to the best of my knowledge, only "my" John Piper there.

I cannot confirm the marriage at this time as the certificate that Tastyger found does not give details of family so I am a bit stumped. The certificate has JP as 7 years younger than he actually was but I have found that is nothing to worry about especially if the wife is younger  :)
So did my JP retrain as a boatman. I can now look for JP's leaving Tasmania as crew rather than passenger I suppose.

Thanks so far for the help, it really is appreciated.
Piper, Essex