Author Topic: Help Needed John Piper Tasmania and Sydney Transportee 1835-1856  (Read 2693 times)

Offline Piperatthegates

• RootsChat Member
  • Great Grandad PC Arthur Piper 1844-1886
    • View Profile
Re: Help Needed John Piper Tasmania and Sydney Transportee 1835-1856
« Reply #18 on: Friday 04 October 13 14:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks for continuing with this Merlin,

I am pretty convinced that my JP died in Sydney in 1856 but now the question is can I find anything about his lifebetween his arrival on Mangles and his death. Did he have a family? how did he end up serving 10 instead of 7 years? all sorts of things like that.

Piper, Essex
Piper, London Hoxton Islington

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 04 October 13 14:56 BST (UK) »

ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
]how did he end up serving 10 instead of 7 years?[/color][/b]

He re-offended while under sentence... the information is detailed on his conduct record if you read it  ;)

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 04 October 13 15:03 BST (UK) »
I am pretty convinced that my JP died in Sydney in 1856

My post was to confirm that either of those John PIPER deaths in Hobart TAS were possibly the husband of Catherine & never left the State. Not your John that died in Sydney.

Offline Piperatthegates

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 04 October 13 15:04 BST (UK) »
My problem is that I can't read the writing  :) Also you are right; it must be another John Piper.
Piper, Essex

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 04 October 13 15:23 BST (UK) »
This is his death reg of your John on the NSW BDM:

PIPER John age 45yrs d. 1856 SYDNEY reg. SYDNEY #404

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/Index/IndexingOrder.cgi/search

You were given the information earlier on how to order a transcription of his death certificate but I see the link isn't working. Here's the correct link:

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/bdm_fh.html#transcription

Online ~MERLIN~

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 04 October 13 15:55 BST (UK) »
how did he end up serving 10 instead of 7 years?

Here's one offence that's on his conduct record it appears in the newspapers:

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66270474

Offline Piperatthegates

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 04 October 13 18:17 BST (UK) »
That is absolutelly brilliant Merlin,

Two years hard labour for stealing Bagatelle balls  ???
The mind boggles as to why he would steal them, over and above him being drunk which is what got him into trouble in the first place.

This is a transcription of an Essex newspaper describing Johns offence that got him transported
25 11 1834

John Piper, 24, & James Allen, 33, Labourers, were convicted of stealing six shillings in silver and 5 ½ d, in copper, the property of William Argent, of Toppesfield. Prosecutor, who is very old and deaf, stated that on the 1st of November he was in bed and asleep at a lodging-house, kept by John Prior; he was awoke by his clothes being pulled away from under the pillow and saw the prisoners taking them away; he asked what business they had with his clothes, when they replied that if he accused them of taking his clothes and stealing his money, they would pull him out of bed and throw him down stairs; this passed before he accused them of stealing his money; the prisoners then left him; he had 6s 5 ½ d in his pockets, which on examination he found was gone. John Prior, in whose house prosecutor slept, said the prisoners had been drinking with him on the evening in question and they afterwards went up stairs into the prosecutor’s room; after remaining there some time, he heard Argent say that he had lost his money; both prisoners then came down, and Piper stripping himself declared that he had not got the money; Allen said nothing about it, and did not offer to strip. Prior (PIPER) had been twice and Allen once convicted. The Chairman said they had committed a very heinous offence and sentenced them to seven years transportation.   

He had twice before been convicted of fighting and riotous assembly when drunk  :)

Definitely a real character
Piper, Essex

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 05 October 13 01:23 BST (UK) »
Hi
Your best way forward now for a potentially more positive identification is the ordering of his death certificate transcription as advised.

Thankfully you now have a working link to the service. ;D
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Piperatthegates

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 05 October 13 20:45 BST (UK) »
I will arrange a transcription though I will be surprised if it answers any more questions as I know that there were no other John Piper's from Toppesfield in the Southern Hemisphere at the time so it will just cross the t's  and dot the i's  :).

A big thank you to everyone so far I am really hoping that there is more to find as because John was such a reprobate he is becoming one of my most documented non ancestors (he is a first cousin, four times removed) and it would be brilliant to find out more about his life and if he had a family in Tasmania or Australia.

All The Best
Piper, Essex