Author Topic: James Moir and janet Davidson married Dec 27th 1817  (Read 2849 times)

Offline mcmon30

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Moir and janet Davidson married Dec 27th 1817
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 08:12 BST (UK) »
thank you for your response. I am well aware of what you were saying. At 81 and an inspector in education I have had some experience in such matters. BUT it does make a difference if in fact there was a genuine reason fort he changes.
Re Inverury: It was definitely explained how the variations occurred. It is not just a case of who could spell.
Re the Spelling of the places I have  maps dating right back with the variations listed on each particular map.
Re the idea of More and Moir being in the hands of the scribe - that is definitely a possibility. However More was the name of people who came into Scotland via Ireland, and for some as far back as Israel via Africa. They also were a variation of Moor and Moir is Gaelic word for Big and so all these variations do have significance if looked into and can often provide a valuable clue.
Having been at this for over 40 years and with boxes of data we can discus this at length.
I appreciate your response.