Author Topic: Butchers  (Read 6249 times)

Offline stevefoote

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Butchers
« on: Thursday 16 June 05 10:58 BST (UK) »
Is anyone else interested in ancestors who were butchers ?

I have been researching my great x 3 grandfather's occupation of butcher in Guernsey in the 19th century for a number of years.

Some of the details appear on my web site - http://history.foote-family.com/butchers/index.htm

Would be great to compare notes with others who have butcher ancestors in other parts of the UK - and elsewhere !

Editor, The Review of the Guernsey Society
Guernsey - Foote, Bisson, Falla, Gallienne, Jamouneau, Ozanne, Marquand, Martel, Ozanne, Priaulx, Queripel (also Guernsey butchers, maritime history, Huguenots, Methodists, WW1)
Devon - Foote, Steer
Dorset - Hawkins
Somerset - Smith, Winter
Monmouthshire - Turberville, Burton, Johns
Pembrokeshire - Howell, Castle

Offline kena

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Butchers
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 June 05 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have found 3 butchers in my familytree, 2 in Staffordshire ( one of which I knew about before I started my familytree research), 1 in Cheshire and a possible fourth one in Lancashire except I haven't proven a link with them yet.
Mullon, Fowell, Thornely, Wilding, Lowndes,Gallimore - Cheshire
Routledge, Bell, Gillesby, Armstrong, Forster, Ewart, Nixon, Kennedy,Reay,Wright,Nattrass,Little,Richardson - Cumberland
Winsborough, Hannabus, Copp, Salter, Bray, Williams, Bonney, Creedy, Matthews, Kelner - Devon
Minto, - Durham
Allaker, Fitch,Groom,Queary - Essex
Steeple, Moult, Woodcock - Lancashire
Trafford, Hambleton, Cordon, Sweetman, Goldstraw, Brough, Barton, Dawson, Sutton, Stevenson - Staffordshire
Huess - Somerset

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 13:55 BST (UK) »
I found out that my 3x gf, his father and grandfather were butchers in Llanrwst and are listed in the Trades Directories for the period 1800 ish to 1870 ish.

Have no more information about them though - I'm still trying to find out.

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline sandiep

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 03 July 05 13:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Foote,

Just been for a look on your web site great site quite disappointed that I havent a butcher rellie in Guernsey, thought I might when I saw a Lambert but not one of mine or rather hubbies..........but he does have a gggrandfather Joseph who ran a place in Clerkenwell called the PIG & Whistle which was a Butchers &  a Pub.
His wifes family of Thorps had all been Butchers in Cambridgeshire  but I cant tell you much about the trade.

sandie
Pender, Raphael,Lambert,Digby,Stent,
Dowell,cornish,mulley,Death,Rosier,
East End,Suffolk,Essex,Cornwall,Devon,London,  middlesex, hertfordshire                                      Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mrstucci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 July 05 00:57 BST (UK) »
I have got butchers in my family tree! In Ireland (Waterford), England (Birmingham and maybe Warwickshire & Worcestershire), US (Chicago, Baltimore, Texas (I have to check on this one- memory is a bit vague), Cleveland (OH), Canada. Any matches?? Judy

Offline Miss Jane

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 August 05 03:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Some of my ancestors were butchers in Twickenham, Middlesex during the 18th and early 19th centuries. I have wills belonging to them and found references to them in the Old Bailey records.

Does anyone know how I can get hold of records for butchers apprentices? Unfortunately, the London Apprentices Indexes do not include butchers. Also, does the Worshipful Company of Butchers keep records of individuls going back at least as far as the 18th century, and would they be willing to provide it to me if I emailed them?

Regards,

Jane.
<b>England: </b>London/Mdx-Arnold, Allard, Davies; Lancashire-Fish, Latham, Driver, Denny; Yorkshire-Latham; Derbyshire-Swindell, Johnson; Devon-Taylor, Boyland, Cavanagh, Furze; Somerset- Forse, Tuttell; Surrey-Powell, Clarke; Cornwall-Knight
<b>Ireland: </b>Tipperary-Donnell, Keating; Down-Graham, Reid, Cleland; Carlow-Mahon, Redmond
<b>Germany: </b>Schlechtweg, Boerner
<b>Scotland: </b>Fife-Martin, Seath; Glasgow-Hart, Grant
<b>Wales: </b>Monmouth-Kelly

Offline stevefoote

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 August 05 02:45 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know how I can get hold of records for butchers apprentices? Unfortunately, the London Apprentices Indexes do not include butchers.

I was very surprised by your comments - there are definitely butchers included in the "London" Apprentices indexes at the Society of Genealogists (the ones which are available through originsnetwork.com) - is this what you are referring to ? I have found a John Foote (exact relationship unknown) of Ashburton taking on apprentice butchers in 18th century Devon in these indexes.

Also, does the Worshipful Company of Butchers keep records of individuls going back at least as far as the 18th century, and would they be willing to provide it to me if I emailed them?

Short answer is - there's no harm in trying ! Their web site is http://www.butchershall.com/. Let us know how you get on.

All the best

Editor, The Review of the Guernsey Society
Guernsey - Foote, Bisson, Falla, Gallienne, Jamouneau, Ozanne, Marquand, Martel, Ozanne, Priaulx, Queripel (also Guernsey butchers, maritime history, Huguenots, Methodists, WW1)
Devon - Foote, Steer
Dorset - Hawkins
Somerset - Smith, Winter
Monmouthshire - Turberville, Burton, Johns
Pembrokeshire - Howell, Castle

Offline Miss Jane

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 August 05 04:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Footie,

I was referring to the London Livery Company apprenticeship registers / abstracted and indexed by Cliff Webb. I think it's still a work in progress and as yet doesn't cover butchers. I've also looked in Apprentices of Great Britain 1710 - 1774 (which appears on originsnetwork.com), and my lot doesn't appear in there either. The Apprentices of Great Britain 1710 - 1774 only seems to have a patchy coverage of the greater London area. I've found another 18th century branch of my family from Twickenham, who weren't butchers, in the London Livery Company indexes, however they don't appear in Apprentices of Great Britain 1710 - 1774.

Thanks for your feedback. :)

Jane.
<b>England: </b>London/Mdx-Arnold, Allard, Davies; Lancashire-Fish, Latham, Driver, Denny; Yorkshire-Latham; Derbyshire-Swindell, Johnson; Devon-Taylor, Boyland, Cavanagh, Furze; Somerset- Forse, Tuttell; Surrey-Powell, Clarke; Cornwall-Knight
<b>Ireland: </b>Tipperary-Donnell, Keating; Down-Graham, Reid, Cleland; Carlow-Mahon, Redmond
<b>Germany: </b>Schlechtweg, Boerner
<b>Scotland: </b>Fife-Martin, Seath; Glasgow-Hart, Grant
<b>Wales: </b>Monmouth-Kelly

Offline jinks

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Thomas Pye
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 21 August 05 10:14 BST (UK) »
A friend of mine as a few butchers in her family
but they are refered to as Slaughtermen.

It was in the farming community rather than in
a City or Town.

I dont know if this is the reason why.

Jinks
Ashton Lancashire
Eccles Lancashire
Fletcher Lancashire
Harwood Church/Darwen
Jackson Staffordhire/Worcestershire
Jenkinson Cockerham
Marsden Hoghton Lancashire
Mercer Lancashire/Yorkshire