Author Topic: Butchers  (Read 6250 times)

Offline stevefoote

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Butchers
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 August 05 17:22 BST (UK) »
This is because until the arrival of the technology to freeze meat, and neatly-wrapped supermarket produce, the animals were kept alive until just before they were sold.

So many butchers would have a slaughter house close to their butcher's shop. A larger butcher's enterprise could have had a farm where cattle were grazed and fattened for market, slaughtermen working in the slaughterhouse in one of the farm's outbuildings, and what we think of as butchers working in the shop in a market in town. The term butcher can refer to either jobs in the 19th century.

The ability to freeze meat and a growing understanding of the way that diseases can be passed - led to a separation of the slaughterhouse from the butcher's shop - and the distinction between wholesale and retail meat trades. This happened gradually during the 19th century, with the first attempts at shipping refridgerated meats (rather than live animals) from Australia and Argentina in the 1870s. Meat inspectors were introduced in the early 1900s, but well before then there was a lot of regulation around slaughterhouses, not so much because of the health hazard (which was not well understood), but because of the unsavoury sights and smells !!

I'm not sure exactly what training a butcher's apprentice might undergo, but I think there must have been a progression from slaughterman to butcher, as I have come across a number of examples of young men starting as slaughtermen working for a master butcher, then being "promoted" to a butcher with their own market stall. Certainly it would require a good understanding of the anatomy of the animals, which would be good grounding.

Hope this helps

All the best

Stephen  Foote
Editor, The Review of the Guernsey Society
Guernsey - Foote, Bisson, Falla, Gallienne, Jamouneau, Ozanne, Marquand, Martel, Ozanne, Priaulx, Queripel (also Guernsey butchers, maritime history, Huguenots, Methodists, WW1)
Devon - Foote, Steer
Dorset - Hawkins
Somerset - Smith, Winter
Monmouthshire - Turberville, Burton, Johns
Pembrokeshire - Howell, Castle

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 22 August 05 02:01 BST (UK) »
Very interesting topic indeed.
I have had no luck in trying to trace apprentices to the trade.
A branch of my family are on record as butchers for over 100 years (1816 -1919) in Surrey and most of the information about this line was obtained from Pigot's and/or PO Directories.
Interestingly I suspect that this line originated in Hants in the early to mid 1700's and the trade they followed then was 'Fellmongers and butchers' .. I dont know when the term 'Fellmonger' was dropped as it is not in use today.
joboy
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline stevefoote

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 22 August 05 07:24 BST (UK) »
There is an interesting article on fellmongering here

http://www.caerllion.net/archive/literature/glh/39fellmonger.htm

Guernsey - Foote, Bisson, Falla, Gallienne, Jamouneau, Ozanne, Marquand, Martel, Ozanne, Priaulx, Queripel (also Guernsey butchers, maritime history, Huguenots, Methodists, WW1)
Devon - Foote, Steer
Dorset - Hawkins
Somerset - Smith, Winter

Offline casliber

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 22 August 05 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have a few - a Tom Cooper b. abt 1820 who was a butcher in Drihlington Yorkshire, as was his father John who later became a farmer on  acreage as well. A brother George was a butcher as well.

Then I found another ancestor William Payne (1765-1826) as a butcher in Coleshill near Birmingham...

Cas
Aberdeenshire: Nelson, Middleton, Dow, McLennan, Hendry
Ross & Cromarty: McLennan, Macaulay
Midlothian: Nelson, Lumsden
Berwickshire: Lumsden, Melrose
Stirlingshire: Dick
West Lothian/Lanark: Wark
West Yorkshire: Wormald, Cooper, Snowden, Sykes (all Drighlington/Adwalton), Thackeray (Tong)
Warwickshire: Payne (Coleshill/Solihull), Forshaw (Coleshill), Drakeford (Coleshill)
Somerset: Quartley
NZ: Thompson (Dunedin)
also Poland, Belarus, Romania

Offline stevefoote

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 23 August 05 06:59 BST (UK) »
On the subject of apprentices and records of butchers, I have read that butchers had to be licensed to run a market stall, and that records of this should appear in Quarter Sessions Records ... although have had no luck in tracing any of my butcher ancestors through this route.

Has anyone had any success in this area ?
Devon - Foote, Steer
Dorset - Hawkins
Somerset - Smith, Winter

Offline poly1963

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 23 August 05 20:26 BST (UK) »
I have a few generations where the Goldstones and Huntingford who were both Pork Butchers/ Journeyman Butchers.  Places they lived included Bermondsey, Newington and Deptford before going over the river to Hackney/Clapton/Islington
 ;)
London: Smith, Huntingford, Goldstone, Dupuy, Lanigan, Barrett, Dyke, Chaplin, Dupuis, Le Brument, Velu, Huet, Hatenville, Lovell, Giles

Essex: Romany connections - Loveridge,  Livermore, Chillystone, Stone, Lamb

Offline casliber

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 23 August 05 20:48 BST (UK) »
Footie, I was waiting for the obvious <Cockney accent> 'Ave a butcher's at this link' </Cockney accent>

;D
Aberdeenshire: Nelson, Middleton, Dow, McLennan, Hendry
Ross & Cromarty: McLennan, Macaulay
Midlothian: Nelson, Lumsden
Berwickshire: Lumsden, Melrose
Stirlingshire: Dick
West Lothian/Lanark: Wark
West Yorkshire: Wormald, Cooper, Snowden, Sykes (all Drighlington/Adwalton), Thackeray (Tong)
Warwickshire: Payne (Coleshill/Solihull), Forshaw (Coleshill), Drakeford (Coleshill)
Somerset: Quartley
NZ: Thompson (Dunedin)
also Poland, Belarus, Romania