Author Topic: George Adams of Magheracriggan/Magheracreggan  (Read 3324 times)

Offline allydoo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Adams of Magheracriggan/Magheracreggan
« on: Wednesday 09 October 13 15:22 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if anyone would have access to information I am looking for or perhaps point me in the right direction.  As previously thought, I had been looking for information on my great great grandfather Alexander Adams married on Mary McBeth (but it appears that I have been sent on a wild goose chase by my uncle).  After lots more online research and family conversations it has been discovered that my g.g.grandfather was actually George Adams, son of a William Adams.  I cannot for the life of me find birth details or death/burial records for George.  All that I know is that her married a lady by the name of Margaret Little (daughter of John Little, farmer from Castlebane, Castlederg) in 1st Castlederg Presbyterian church on 9th April 1875 (I have a copy of their marriage record).  George and Margaret went on to have 3 children (that i know of), William (my g.grandfather)who was born in Dec 1875, a daughter Margaret Jane (Jane/Jennie) born in 1878 and another daughter Margaret, born in 1880.  George apparently died shortly after so Margaret senior and the 2 girls emigrated to Philadelphia in the later part of the 1800's and left William behind with aunts and uncles to work the farm (he is shown living with them in the 1901 census under Castlebane in Tyrone).  William later married Sarah Jane Dunbar (daughter of David Dunbar) on 29th October 1902 in 1st Castlederg Presbyterian and are shown in the 1911 irish census also living in Castlebane with the start of their family (4 sons).  Margaret Snr and Jane/Jennie never married or remarried but the youngest daughter Margaret married a man by the name of Samuel J Steele from Philly.  They had 2 sons, Samuel J Jnr and George.B (obviously after his grandad George).  Margaret Snr and Jennie seem to have resided with them throughout their lives as they are noted under the same household in numerous U.S census records.  They are all buried in Mt Moriah Cemetery in Philly.  I do not know if the 2 sons were married as they were still living with their parents in the 1940 census and they were born early 1900's.  It would be great if I could find out any information on George (He seems to have disappeared into thin air)  The only thing I am certain of is his fathers name, William Adams who was a blacksmith, as stated on the marriage cert for George and Margaret.  As far as I know our Adams's all have been presbyterian.  If anyone can shed any light on this, I would be most grateful.    Thankyou.

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Adams of Magheracriggan/Magheracreggan
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 16:12 BST (UK) »
No sign of any Adams in Magheracreggan either in Griffiths Primary Valuation or later in the revaluation records that cover 1875. However there was a forge there on plot 7, which is perhaps where William Adams worked. In 1859 and in 1875 the tenant was James McFarland but it’s possible the Adams lived with him or had a small cabin nearby. The forge closed around 1889 according to the revaluation records.
Elwyn

Offline allydoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 16:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Elwyn for your reply.  The forge ties in especially with the date it closed because I think George'e wife and daughters emigrated to the U.S in 1891 to start a new life.  George also had an older brother, also William (along with siblings Joseph, Mary Ann and Fanny Ellen) who was also a blacksmith and I think Carnkenny or Cornkenny was stated on his death certificate (his death being discovered by his nephew and my great grandfather William).  Is there anyway I could get my hands on a copy of the plot location (say a map location or something)?  I am from Castlederg and know the surroundings well so could maybe track down where the forge was?

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 October 13 18:10 BST (UK) »
Using the maps attached to Griffiths Valuation, the forge was on plot 7 in Magheracreggan. Plot 7 was an assortment of buildings, including a corn mill and a flax mill, as well as the forge. Today they are on a stretch of the Ballynaloan Rd, between the junctions with the Drumnabey Rd and the Creevy Rd. A short stretch between two T junctions. I have no idea what is there now but should be easy enough to locate.

Regarding the Adams property in Carnkenny, that is listed in Griffiths. Plot 9d, opposite the Presbyterian Church, just across the Derg river. There was a forge 2 properties along in the name of Susan Bradley (plot 9f). Perhaps he worked there?   William Adam's name is deleted in 1879. Does that fit with what you know of his death?
Elwyn

Offline allydoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 October 13 09:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Elywn.  Yea I know where those two junctions are.  Between those junctions there are today 2 properties, one of which is beside a stream so I am assuming that this must be where the forge and mills where with the easy access to water.  The house belonging to that property was actually renovated not that long ago and there is a separate shed/garage (perhaps had been the forge)

I am not sure of George's fathers William's death as all I have for him is his name from George's marriage certificate but at least this gives me something to work towards.

Thank you so much for your help, it has been much appreciated.  It's scary to think that perhaps we are the only family left from this line of Adams as it seems the two Steele boys never did marry as they are also buried with their parents with no sign of any wives.  Thank goodness my great granda William never left for Amercia, otherwise my family and I would not exist!!

All the best,
Alison

Offline allydoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 October 13 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Elywn,

There have been some developments.  I started looking for death records for William Adams and came across an entry which most certainly sounds like my William.  He died on 2nd Feb 1884, age 77 (at least I have an approximate year of birth for him). It states that he was a blacksmith, married and residing at Letterbin at the time of death and not Magheracreggan.  Death was informed by his daughter Mary Ann Adams which is correct as George's younger sister was called Mary Ann.  I then started looking for a death record for his son George and came across an entry which sounds right.  He passed away in Jan 1882 (I know he had died soon after his youngest daughters birth in 1880) and again gives his age as 40 (so another clue about his birth year) married, a blacksmith and also residing in Letterbin.  Death also informed by Mary Ann Adams.  I can't believe my luck!!   Have to keep digging now.  Just thought i'd keep you informed  :)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 October 13 14:49 BST (UK) »
I can see William Adams listed in the revaluation records for Letterbin. He had house 1j, a house and a forge. In 1895 it’s changed to house and offices (ie outbuildings) and the name also changes to Porter Adams. Did he have a son named Porter?

Here’s that family in 1901:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Baronscourt/Letterbin/1751344/

There was another Adams family in the townland:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Baronscourt/Letterbin/1751365/

The change of name in 1895 is a bit late for William’s death but sometimes Griffiths clerks didn’t pick up changes for some time after they had happened.

Elwyn

Offline allydoo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 October 13 15:18 BST (UK) »
Elwyn, William Adams snr also had a son (his eldest as far as I know) William who was a blacksmith so it is possible that the revaluation relates to his son.  Porter was the next eldest I think so he took over the property from William as it shows his brother William then living with their siblings, his nephew William and an aunt Eliz Oliver in Castlebane in the 1901 census.

As far as I know William Snr's family was William (bachelor), Porter (married), George (married), Joseph (bachelor), Mary Ann (spinster), Fanny Ellen (spinster) and Thomas John (who married Jane Stevenson and emmigrated to Philadelphia in 1888 (and possibly who are Margaret and 2 daughters went out to).