Author Topic: Agnes and Henry Dyke ?  (Read 4722 times)

Offline lyn22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Agnes and Henry Dyke ?
« on: Thursday 10 October 13 04:40 BST (UK) »
I have this family on the 1861 Census there is also an Agnes Dyke born 1849 in Coventry and in the 1871 Census I have Thomas Joseph Dyke 49 Watch Finisher Hannah 47 Henry 14 Watch Finisher Catherine 12 Agatha 10 Stephen Thomas 8 and Lucy 20 Lucy is my Great Grandmother she is crossed off the Census I think because she is already married and is Lucy Burke. Agnes goes missing in 1871 and Henry I cannot find after the 1871 Census. They all seem to be born in Coventry and spent most of their life at 21 Hill st. I have marriages and all other records for this family except for Agnes and Henry can anyone see them Thanks Lynette
Peter Burke father Dominick Burke wife Bridget Bagley son James Burke wife Lucy Dyke County Mayo Coventry England Australia . Grant ,Snell,Diggins , Burton, James Frederick Elmore /Elmer , Alfred James Bailey , Julia Elmore , Pierson

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes and Henry Dyke ?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 October 13 15:31 BST (UK) »
Agnes is aged 12 in 1861 and 2 in 1851.   When did Thomas & Hannah marry?  Could Agnes be from Hannah's previous marriage and therefore a different surname?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline jacquelineve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 October 13 15:50 BST (UK) »

1851 Coventry H0107/2067   folio653  page14

Thomas    Dyke  29  watch finisher   Coventry
Hannah             27                         Foleshill
Agnes               2                           Cov.
Lucy                 4mths                     .....

Jackie
Dudley Worcs:Ellis Durkin Oakley Rich Smith
Baggot Saunders Turner Williams Hobbs
Harts Hill: Baggot Wright

Tipton:Whitehouse (boatman) Timmins
Yorkshire:Littlewood Wilcockson
Derbyshire:Wilcockson

Derby Belper:Spencer
Herefordshire Brampton Bryan:-Turner

Worcs. Hereford. Gloucs.
Hodgetts

Radnorshire: Meredith
Bristol Somerset: Box

Census Information is Crown Copyright from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 October 13 15:59 BST (UK) »

1851 Coventry H0107/2067   folio653  page14

Thomas    Dyke  29  watch finisher   Coventry
Hannah             27                         Foleshill
Agnes               2                           Cov.
Lucy                 4mths                     .....

1848 Christening AGNES parents Thomas DYKE & Hannah
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NTRX-HGQ

1850 Christening LUCY parents Thomas DYKE & Hannah
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NJX5-3Y6

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lyn22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 October 13 04:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone the only marriage I could see was Thomas Joseph Dyke and Ann Smallwood 1847 at Warwickshire. I have been told Hannahs Father was William Smallwood but I am not sure. I can see Thomas Joseph Dyke aged 20 in the 1841 Census single Watch Maker Apprentice with his parents Thomas 40 Cordwainer and Maria 40 and brothers and sisters. I cannot see Hannah on the 1841 Census. Agnes is on the 1851 and 1861 Census and Henry is on the 1861 and 1871 Census and then they both disappear. In 1891 Thomas Joseph 69 Disability Blind Hannah 66 Agatha 30 and there is a Matilda 14 that says Dyke but I think this is wrong. They are still living at 21 Hill St. Take care Lynette
Peter Burke father Dominick Burke wife Bridget Bagley son James Burke wife Lucy Dyke County Mayo Coventry England Australia . Grant ,Snell,Diggins , Burton, James Frederick Elmore /Elmer , Alfred James Bailey , Julia Elmore , Pierson

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 11 October 13 08:26 BST (UK) »

the only marriage I could see was Thomas Joseph Dyke and Ann Smallwood 1847 at Warwickshire.

I have been told Hannahs Father was William Smallwood but I am not sure.

I can see Thomas Joseph Dyke aged 20 in the 1841 Census single Watch Maker Apprentice with his parents Thomas 40 Cordwainer and Maria 40 and brothers and sisters.

Not seeing anything on Anc*y for 1847 marriage

This looks to be Thomases parents

St John the Baptist Coventry
Banns 28 mar, 4 Apr, 11 Apr
Thomas Dyke to Maria Clark both of this Parish

13 April 1819 St John The Baptist
Thomas Dyke Maria Clark (x) both single in the
Presence of William Scrivener (x) & Mary ??een (x)

I think the only way you will find out if that is the correct marriage to Ann Smallwood is to obtain the marriage certificate,it will confirm father's names, occupations etc....

or

you could obtain a birth certificate of one of Thomas & Hannah's children to confirm her maiden name then you would know if that was the correct marriage

Thomas Joseph Dyke
 St John the Baptist Coventry Baptism Date:   20 May 1821
Father Thomas Dyke occ Shoe maker Mother Maria abode Spon Street

In 1891 Thomas Joseph 69 Disability Blind Hannah 66 Agatha 30 and there is a Matilda 14 that says Dyke but I think this is wrong. They are still living at 21 Hill St.

1891 census Matilda age 14 her surname is dittoed as Dyke her occupation is Servant

1901 census Matilda age 24 her surname PASSON occupation servant,
Thomas Joseph died  age 72 in 1893, Hannah Dyke 77 Foleshill is widowed on 1901c
living on her own means, dau Agatha age 40 occ Feather Dresser Quill (own a/c) living 21 Hill St
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lyn22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 October 13 09:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ladyhawk for taking the time to help I can see the marriage on ancestry Oct 1847. Yes that is the right Thomas Dyke and Maria Clark marriage I think the witness is Mary Treen a middle name that seems to repeat itself in the Dyke family. I am going back over my tree from when I first started this is information that was my cousins he was very particular but I do not know if he had certificates. I will buy a certificate for Lucy. I am still looking for what happened to Agnes and Henry. Take Care Lynette

Offline John Vandyke

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 11:17 GMT (UK) »
I have this family on the 1861 Census there is also an Agnes Dyke born 1849 in Coventry and in the 1871 Census I have Thomas Joseph Dyke 49 Watch Finisher Hannah 47 Henry 14 Watch Finisher Catherine 12 Agatha 10 Stephen Thomas 8 and Lucy 20 Lucy is my Great Grandmother she is crossed off the Census I think because she is already married and is Lucy Burke. Agnes goes missing in 1871 and Henry I cannot find after the 1871 Census. They all seem to be born in Coventry and spent most of their life at 21 Hill st. I have marriages and all other records for this family except for Agnes and Henry can anyone see them Thanks Lynette

Henry Joseph Dyke was the son of Thomas Joseph Dyke and Hanna Smallwood. Born in Coventry on 30 December 1856, he emigrated to Australia in around 1879. I understand that other members of the family may have arrived in Australia before Henry. Interestingly, Henry changed his name to Vandyke after his arrival in Australia. The story passed down is that the family was originally from Holland, but had anglicised their name to Dyke when they emigrated to England, then Henry changed it back in Australia. Henry married Annie Kate Parsons (born 1861 in Kingsclere Hampshire) in Charters Towers, Queensland, and they had a number of children as they moved down the east coast of Australia, then to New Zealand, then back to Sydney. One of the children was Irne (known as Ernie) Francois Vandyke, born in Christchurch New Zealand in 1898. Irne was my father. Happy to share other info I have. I had some contact with Don Burke more than a decade ago, but we have not communicated in a long time. Regards, John Vandyke

Offline lyn22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 March 15 22:01 GMT (UK) »
hello John thank you so much for posting that I wondered what had happened to Henry I had a question mark against his death. Do you have any photos of this family. Yes Don is my cousin we have never met but have talked via emails my Dads brother was his Father. I have added a photo of my Dad. Take Care Lynette