Author Topic: JOHN MCCARTHY AND MARY QUINN  (Read 25231 times)

Offline ktw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: JOHN MCCARTHY AND MARY QUINN
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 17 October 13 11:29 BST (UK) »
Some answers to some questions that have been asked:

Mary Quin Ingram on Thomas’s birth certificate. There was a comment in the margin that I was unable to decipher. Courtesy of a fellow McCarthy researcher, this is an amendment that states that Mary Quin’s place of birth is Dublin, not Stafford.

With regards to Mary Quin Senior not listing the name of the father or her maiden name. I don’t know about why the maiden name is not recorded. The father’s occupation of butcher is interesting though.  There is a record of an Edmond Quin in the 1828 census. His occupation is listed as butcher and he came out on the Mariner. He was living a Margaret who came out on the Lord Wellington (i.e. I cannot find a marriage record even though she was going by the surname Quin). I believe this to be Margaret Parsons, from Stafford – not Dublin. Two children are also listed – Daniel who I believe came out with Margaret and Ellen who was born in Sydney. Edmond Quin appears in the Sydney papers quite a bit – the most serious is the attempted rape of a female.

With regards to the other children – even though I have mentioned that I have been researching this branch for two years, I am also doing concurrent research on the rest of my family. In other words, I haven’t ordered transcriptions for all the children (or possibilities). I am a pre-separation Queenslander who is living in Queensland so I spend much of my time researching and utilising the resources that I currently have on hand at the Queensland State Archives or Queensland State Reference Library. I will eventually order more transcriptions to do a more detailed analysis on the family. My next order will be for Clara McCarthy's (John and Mary's daughter) marriage certificate/transcription. I am interested in John McCarthy's occupation as publican and who the witnesses were.

Mary Quin Senior death. Yes - one scenario I am working on is that Mary Quin Senior stayed with the family and continued to travel with them. From a personal point of view, it would make sense for her to assist with the rearing of her grandchildren therefore my focus for place of death in NSW or QLD. I have printouts of all of the options and I am working through the list to eliminate "not my Mary Quin".

Offline ktw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 17 October 13 11:34 BST (UK) »
Information about Thomas McCarthy - son of Mary Quin and John McCarthy (as requested)! It is also a good family story but a tragedy.

As you know, Thomas was the youngest son of John and Mary and was born in Kilmore, Victoria on 08 June 1858. Other variations of Thomas’s birth place include Weddin Mountains and Lachlan River as recorded on his children’s birth records. Kilmore also pops up a couple of times. The family were making their way north when Mary McCarthy (nee Quin) died at Warnbrook(?) in the district of Cooma. Their address was listed as “on the road to Kiandra”. By 1876, the family were in Queensland as evident by John McCarthy’s death certificate. He died in Duaringa of slow fever. From here, Thomas appears to have followed the construction of the Queensland Central Railway and picked up work along the way. On 04 April 1880, Thomas married Annie Gallagher at the Emerald Terminus Central Railway and their address was listed as 10 Mile Camp. These Mile Camps appear to be “shanty” towns that housed workers temporarily during the construction of the railway. Annie’s father was also a labourer for the construction of the railway. All of these facts lead me to make the assessment that Thomas was also following the work created by the railway construction.

Thomas and Annie had several children but of note obviously is my great grandmother Elizabeth who was born on 04 May 1882. She was born on 04 Apr 1881 under the name of Clara. I have made this assessment based on the next birth certificate for another girl named Clara but the name of the first child was now Elizabeth. Following the birth records of those children that I have been able to track down the family headed north, appearing to follow the railway construction for a while. Tragedy struck on 09 Oct 1888 with the death of Thomas’s wife, Annie. She died during child birth at Mackunda hotel, Mackunda Creek (basically near the gulf country), QLD. This left Thomas with three surviving children – Elizabeth, Clara and William.

It is hear that the story gets interesting. The family story was that Thomas was unable to cope with raising three children (they were 8, 7 and 1 ½ years old at the time) and that he dumped them at an orphanage. He was never heard of again. The true story is quite more tragic. Thomas and his family ended up at a station just north of Cloncurry (near Canobie). I found an interesting newspaper article in the Brisbane Courier dated 21 Oct 1890. It states that the police from Cloncurry station were investigating the suicide of Thomas McCarthy. He apparently told his wife (it turns out that he was living with a Flora Dunn – no marriage record exists) that he was going out to shoot himself – which he did. The article is quite graphic in its detail, outlining how he shot himself. Thomas’s death certificate states cause of death as “death by shooting”. It is interesting to note that Thomas shot himself on 13 Oct 1890, not long after the two year anniversary of Annie’s death.

I have records from the Cloncurry watch house of when Elizabeth, Clara and William were housed there before they were transferred to Townsville Orphanage. They were then transferred down to Meteor Park Orphanage near Rockhampton. From here, I know that my great grandmother was farmed out to work for at least two different people. She met her future husband, William Searle, at Rockhampton and they then had my grandmother.

Hope that this is of some use. Karen

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 18 October 13 05:12 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I apologise if you find my post somewhat too direct, however your posts are becoming very confusing for me. 

I am not able to follow how you have formed the view that your Thomas McCarthy was the son of John McCarthy and Mary Quin.   

You see,

when you write “As you know, Thomas was the youngest son of John and Mary and was born in Kilmore, Victoria on 08 June 1858”   errrr ..... ummmmm ...... errrrr  :)  I actually do NOT know any of that information.   

I have actually discreetly attempted more than once to question if that would be the correct birth cert for YOUR Thomas.   

Please re-read the thread. 

So, my direct questions are

Q 1 ….   Do you have the marriage cert for your Thomas.   If so, would you please carefully transcribe that certificate, paying particular attention to how the clergyman recorded the details that Thomas provided to that clergyman when being interviewed prior to the marriage.

I am looking for the information as recorded on that mc.   At the moment, I am not concerned with any information you have sourced from any other document or collaboration.   

So from Thomas’ marriage certificate, (no where else, just that cert) what information is recorded for
a)   The BDM reference no. for the cert.
b)   Date of the marriage ceremony
c)   Place where the ceremony was conducted
d)   Thomas’ full names and surname
e)   Thomas’ conjugal condition (bachelor/widower/divorcee)
f)   Thomas’ birth place
g)   Thomas’ occupation
h)   Thomas’ age
i)   Thomas’ usual place of residence
j)   Thomas’ father’s names
k)   Thomas’ father’s occupation
l)   Thomas’ mother’s names
m)   Thomas’ mother’s former and/or maiden names
n)   Thomas’ bride’s full names and surname
o)   Thomas’ bride’s conjugal condition (spinster/widow/divorcee)
p)   Thomas’ bride’s birth place
q)   Thomas’ bride’s occupation
r)   Thomas’ bride’s age
s)   Thomas’ bride’s usual place of residence
t)   Thomas’ bride’s father’s names
u)   Thomas’ bride’s father’s occupation
v)   Thomas’ bride’s mother’s names
w)   Thomas’ bride’s mother’s former/and or maiden names
x)   The denomination
y)   The name of the clergyman
z)   The name of the witnesses
aa)    If I missed anything, please transcribe that also.

And Q 2  ….. you have a birth certificate for a chap named Thomas McCarthy and it has that chap’s parents as John McCARTHY and Mary Quin INGRAM as per your pdf.     You are now mentioning that this cert has been amended.   My question is another series of sub-questions about that birth certificate

a)   Who amended it
b)   When was it amended
c)   Is the copy you hold, one you purchased directly from Victoria BDM or is it one that has been shared around any thus is it possible that the amendment is actually NOT an authorised change approved by both the parents to that baby whose birth was registered in 1858?   
d)   Date of birth (as recorded on the document)
e)   Place of birth (yep, all the following is as recorded on the document)
f)   Name of the father of the baby
g)   Name of the mother of the baby, including former and/or maiden names
h)   Father’s occupation
i)   Mother’s occupation
j)   Father’s age
k)   Mother’s age
l)   Date and Place of the marriage of those parents
m)   Previous children of that marriage, noting living or deceased
n)   Was the baby presented to the registrar when the birth was being registered (present or not present)
o)   Who was the informant, what was their address, and their description (relationship to the baby !)
p)   Did the informant sign or make their X mark 
q)   Who were the witnesses
r)   When was the birth registered and where was it registered
s)      If I missed anything, please transcribe that too

Many Cheers,  JM  (We reside at Nords Wharf, NSW, yes there are bush fires around.   We self evacuated at around 2am this morning, we are safe with relatives in a nearby suburb)
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline ktw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 18 October 13 09:31 BST (UK) »
JM - I hope that you are safe and well. I am trying to answer as many questions as I can from various people that are posting information but I am struggling to keep up. I am away for the weekend but will make contact early next week. Once again, I hope that you and your family are safe and well.

Offline ktw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 18 October 13 09:33 BST (UK) »
Sorry to all if the start to my post about Thomas McCarthy implied that you all knew the information. This was me just being lazy and cutting and pasting an email that I sent to my Family History Society for a brick wall meeting about John McCarthy and Mary Quin. Just thought that I would clarify.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 19 October 13 09:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for clarifying.   It helps to untangle the confusion somewhat.

Please please please do NOT proceed back earlier than your Thomas McCarthy until you KNOW for certain that is him on that 1858 birth certificate.    Even then, please please please DO NOT be persuaded that the Mary McCarthy's death at Cooma in 1860 was the death of his Mum, and even then, please please please realise that it is VERY unlikely that the Mary QUIN, witness to the burial was that Mary McCarthy's own Mum.     Surely if that witness was Mum for the deceased, then the full given names for the deceased DAD and the nee name for Mary QUIN (witness) would be noted on that dc, if not by the informant, at least BY THE FUNERAL DIRECTOR.     As it is,  the witness Mary QUIN could be a spinster cousin, a sister in law, an auntie, or other relative to the deceased, or simply just a friend with same name  ;D    I personally have TWO friends both with the same Christian name as me and both with the same surname as each other, and that surname is the same as my married surname.    We THREE are not related, and nor would we need to be, to attend a funeral TOGETHER.

I do trust and hope your family history group's 'brick wall meeting' continues to support and further develops good researching habits for all its members.    I am confused by the thought that any fh group would want to encourage any member to go back a generation without first sorting through every bit of information on your Thomas' marriage cert, and investigating the original church records to confirm the details on that cert.       

I am very doubtful that the 1860 Cooma death is associated with your Thomas.    I am also wary of the 1858 Vic birth, as you are now mentioning Weddin Mountains and The Lachlan River.   This of course are localities in the central west of NSW, hundreds of miles from Kilmore, Victoria.....     ::)

Sorry to all if the start to my post about Thomas McCarthy implied that you all knew the information.

Sorry for being pedantic, but it did not imply that we all knew, it actually expressly read that we knew

As you know, Thomas was the youngest son of John and Mary and was born in Kilmore, Victoria on 08 June 1858.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 20 October 13 06:53 BST (UK) »
I found an interesting newspaper article in the Brisbane Courier dated 21 Oct 1890. It states that the police from Cloncurry station were investigating the suicide of Thomas McCarthy. He apparently told his wife (it turns out that he was living with a Flora Dunn – no marriage record exists) that he was going out to shoot himself – which he did. The article is quite graphic in its detail, outlining how he shot himself. Thomas’s death certificate states cause of death as “death by shooting”. It is interesting to note that Thomas shot himself on 13 Oct 1890, not long after the two year anniversary of Annie’s death.

Re the death for a Thomas McCARTHY 13 October 1890, in Country Queensland.

The QLD BDM ref C1077 as per online Index….   The entry for that Thomas McCARTHY does NOT include any details for that chap’s parentage.   This suggests to me that the death cert does NOT include any information about his parentage at all. 

May I please ask "how come" you have Mary QUIN as mum for your Thomas McCARTHY?

Cheers,  JM

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 20 October 13 09:07 BST (UK) »
Birth:John McCarthy 1842 NSW
Birth:Charles McCarthy 1848 NSW
Birth:Patrick McCarthy 1849 NSW
Birth:Mary S McCarthy 1850 NSW
Birth:George McCarty 1851 Vic to John and Mary McCarty (no nee name)?
Birth:James McCarthy 1852 NSW
Birth:John McCarty 1854 Qld
Birth:Clara McCarty 1854 Qld
Death:Daniel MCarthy 1857 Vic
Birth:Thomas McCarthy 1858 Vic

9 Births and 1 Death Total

Now I realise that you have a lot of unpublished information and have been researching this family for many years, but...you did ask for help. I am trying to give it with as much accuracy as possible and from the veiwpoint of an interested observer with no real need to include dubious information.

If I am not helping or you have lost interest please say so and I will stop pestering you with worthless already held information.

Neil

The Above birth has  John McCarthy & Mary Quinn as mother. "Two N's"

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 20 October 13 10:46 BST (UK) »
Birth:Thomas McCarthy 1858 Vic
The Above birth has  John McCarthy & Mary Quinn as mother. "Two N's"

Neil,

Is that the same birth that our OP has?   I am not yet convinced that that 1858 Vic birth has anything to do with the 1860 death at Cooma.    Vic BDM REF # 6008.   My online index has the surname for the mum as QUIN (one 'n') IF you are considering the cert #6008.   I am not concerned about whether there is one or two 'n' in the surname.   You see, according to the pdf, Thomas' mum's surname is INGRAM, as in Mary Quin INGRAM.   

I find it sooooooooo confusing that the online index for that 1858 Vic birth cert makes NO mention of the surname INGRAM for that Thomas' mum.     Way back at the early part of this thread, Dundee raised a query re that pdf : 

Hi Kazwhell,

What is going on here?

08 Jun 1858, Kilmore, Colony of VIC
Thomas McCarthy (son) death certificate
My ancestor. Father: John McCarthy; Profession: Carpenter;

08 Jun 1858, Kilmore, Colony of VIC
Thomas McCarthy (son) death certificate
My ancestor.
Mother: Mary Quin Ingram (?)
Born: Stafford, England

I just worked it out, it is Thomas' birth certificate.

Debra  :)

Our OP confirmed that it was a typo, and it was meant to be for the birth cert for Thomas.

Yep - typo. Birth certificate is correct. Trouble with cutting and pasting. I am descended from Thomas McCarthy and Annie Gallagher's daughter Elizabeth McCarthy who married my great grandfather William Searle.

So, IF I am joining the dots then
 :) there was a chap named Thomas McCarthy who married a lass named Annie GALLAGHER in 1880 (Oops, adding in QLD). 
 :) Their daughter Elizabeth (adding, if born Qld, perhaps 1882, with mother indexed as Annie SHEARIN) married William SEARLE (adding if in Qld likely 1905 )

:) So William and Elizabeth SEARLE are great grandparents for our OP.   

:) So Thomas and Annie would be the great great grandparents for our OP. 

:) As we are meant to be looking for the parents for the lady who died at Cooma in 1860, then we are looking for the  great great great great grandmother of our OP,

:)  Our OP has one set of g g g g grandparents as perhaps Mary QUIN (one or two 'n')   ;D  a witness at a funeral for a Mary McCARTHY in 1860 at Cooma. (adding who the OP has as mum to Thomas  ;D

:)  The 1860 Cooma death cert for Mary McCarthy, a married woman, has that lady as a daughter of a Mr QUIN, a butcher and Mary (Quin, nee/former surname/s unknown).       

;D  ;D  ;D I must be positively ancient, born after WWII, young enough to have obtained my drivers licence at 17 and had red P plates for 12 months    ::)  ::) .....  and yet my late Gran (no greats, but she was great)  who was very much involved in raising me was actually born years before Thomas married Annie in 1880  ::)  ::) .   My Gran most likely read that Brisbane Courier reporting the tragic death of a Thomas McCarthy in Oct 1890 on the day it was published.... ;D

Cheers,  JM