Author Topic: anne crowley or possibly johanna little bray co wicklow  (Read 27701 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: anne crowley or possibly johanna little bray co wicklow
« Reply #27 on: Monday 14 October 13 10:07 BST (UK) »
I see you say you have the marriage cert so then you must know what church they were married in a look at the church microfilm will more than likely give you her mothers maiden name,or if not on microfilm a written request to the church might get it for you.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 14 October 13 10:21 BST (UK) »
Who were the witnesses to the marriage? If Annie fibbed about her age, she may have given false details about her father.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 14 October 13 11:47 BST (UK) »
Recently on roots chat i was researching the family of Laurence Mangan Catholics and as luck would have it most of his family can be found on Irish Genealogy the point being that Laurences daughter Brigid married one John George Mills in 1900 and researching his family i found that they were C O I
I then found that John Mills born 1874 got baptised in St Mary's Pro Cathedral in 1899 a while before his marriage,so i wonder was this a requirement for mixed marriages and would Annie have had to do the same,something else to look out for?.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 14 October 13 20:21 BST (UK) »
i see a topic by'' madpat'' today here on Wicklow rootschat re Burial records for St Peters Little Bray had a glance through it for Crowleys a few there but one in particular that might interest you is the burial in 1932 of a Mary Crowley from Little Bray could be a relative.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 14 October 13 20:38 BST (UK) »
I think those are Catholic church records- if the family story is correct then Annie wasn't Catholic.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline madpat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 21 October 13 14:22 BST (UK) »
I have also had the problem with Little Bray but mostly I found my relatives born or married there were registered in RATHDOWN and not Dublin. I am missing a few people so do you think I should try Dublin South as well?

As for the census information I have learned never to believe the ages given until I have at least the baptismal or birth certificate. You cannot rely on death certificate ages either. I have numerous examples of wrong ages for my ancestors but the most striking of which was a great grandma being 40 in 1901, 56 in 1911 and dying in 1927 at the age of 55! She was in fact born in 1859 and it was only by checking the cathedral records in Carlow that I was able to work out the correct ages etc. Other relatives' ages have been out by up to ten years also either way.